Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Changing Gears in Escalante

We were finally found out by the local BLM ranger and had to move off our BLM road after 38 days. We managed to lay low and shared our spot with other campers on a few occasions but the rule is 14 days; what we didn't know was that we had to move 30 miles, according to National Monument rules here in Escalante. Mid-way through March we decided to stay in the area and experience small town living. Our youngest son was burning a hole in our budget as he gets situated back in our old home state of California; we've taken on his rent temporarily so we decided to find some work.

Escalante is a small town of about 800 people, with one grocery store, one fancy organic food store, three gas stations, a post office, a new health clinic, a very nice hardware store, a couple of outfitters, and a few eateries. The wife got a job as a line cook at the Circle D Eatery and I found work as a motel maid at the Circle D Motel. For a few weeks we were commuting about 12.5 miles each way from our cliffside spot until we had to move. We had to decide fast where to stay in order to keep our jobs and we found a spot at the Shooting Star RV resort just 1.5 mile out of town. I could work for our keep and utilities and also make some money after 20-25 hours/week. We've been told it's gonna get hot so having power for running the A/C and a sewer hookup for daily showers during the summer will be much appreciated.

I never knew cleaning motel rooms could be so exhausting but I lasted almost a month before having to change jobs. The good thing is that the Shooting Star RV resort has about ten restored Airstreams acting as "rooms" for guests; each one is interior decorated to a movie theme. So instead of cleaning motel rooms, I'm cleaning Airstreams! I also get to work with a carpenter refinishing decks for the Airstreams and odd jobs around the property.

I've always dreamed of living in a small town and so far Escalante fits the bill. We've already made several friends and found most of the locals work two jobs during the season in order to make it through the slow winter season. So we see our new friends all over town and they're getting used to seeing us. Small town life also includes Pickleball every Tuesday and Thursday at the local gym and occasional Bingo. I had never played either one but it's easy to get an invite in a small town. We hope to last through the summer season before heading out onto the road again for Fall exploration, but until then we'll enjoy the slower lane and if any of you visit our newly adopted small town of Escalante, give us a shout and we'll show you around!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05478.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	260792   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05480.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	260793  

Name:	DSC05484.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	260794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05454.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	260795  

Name:	DSC05469.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	260797   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05400.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	260799  

Name:	DSC05401.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	260800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05448.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	260801  

Name:	DSC05451.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	260802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05387.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	260803  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
We got to neighbor and dine (at Outfitters Cafe) with Amanda and Tim Watson of WatsonsWander blog fame; the new motel maid; and life on The Shooting Star RV Resort.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05397.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	260805   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05486.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	260806  

Name:	DSC05490.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	260807   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05492.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	260808  

Name:	DSC05491.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	260809   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05494.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	260810  

Name:	DSC05498.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	260811   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05508.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	260812  

Old 04-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Gosh, I just noticed I'm wearing the same clothes while cleaning rooms and then the next day working on the deck! Oh well... life of the boondocker. You all know the drill.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love the way you two keep building new wings as your situation changes, doing whatever you need in order to live your dream.

Good...for...you!

I always look forward to updates on your story.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Thanks Maggie! Same here with your thread... always looking forward to your latest concoction! Martha Stewart has NOTHING on you!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Escalante is a nice place to visit but pretty much closed up when we last visited there in February. Nice folks at Shooting Star and we enjoyed our stay there last summer for a couple of nights. Our only disappointment was getting rained-out the one night they had planned to show a movie at their drive-in theatre.

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Riff Raff

Headed that way soon from FL. Looking forward to seeing Shooting Star and that whole area. Will come by and say hello!
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
That would be great - always fun to meet fellow Airstreamers and swap stories and experiences. Leave yourself at least a few days to explore the area, especially if you like hiking and exploring slot canyons.

Have a safe trip!

Jeff
Old 04-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Troy and Michelle at the Shooting Star are great people. We travel down to stay with them every Labor Day weekend. Good fun.

There is so much to see and do in that area. You could spend years exploring and just touch the surface. You should have a great summer.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 04-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Stan, I will say hello for you. My wife and I already appreciate their down-to-earth nature and their resort. I hope I can help them succeed in their business, even if it's just for a short while.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St. Paul , Minnesota
Hi Jeff,

Loved your post about Escalante. My partner and I will be headed in that direction in the next week or so. The area looks beautiful, and I am an avid Pickleballer (though not particularly talented).

Hopefully we can stop by and say hello

Emily
rothse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Thanks Emily and I wish you safe travels. Try to make some time for the area. It's not as renown as Zion or Bryce but I'm coming around to think there is more to explore with less people around. Zion is a zoo come warm spring and summer - it reminds me of Disneyland back in southern California... nothing but lines.

Your tag says you are relatively new to 'streaming so there are a couple nice RV parks in town with hookups, one of which is the one I work at - Shooting Star. The Petrified Forest State Park is a nice campground with power/water hookups but is usually crowded. If you like to boondock or would like to try, message me and I can direct to a few nice spots, especially the one we were on if it's unoccupied. All of them are within 12 or so miles of town and supplies so it's not too out there.

And who knows? If you're in town long enough, you could join us for pickleball. I need tips on how to remember to stay out of the "kitchen".
Old 05-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
A week ago we had a group of Chinese students led by three Canadians stay at the resort. I talked with the young Canadians and they were working for a Chinese national who was selling property in China...but along with a lifestyle. The business man had hired the Canadians to produce a video that would be used to promote a lifestyle to young upscale Chinese people, and what better place to introduce these young people to adventure and open space than the Southwest. They had rented an Airstream to symbolize America and its sense of adventure on the road - something the young group was unaccustomed to. I thought what an unusual juxtaposition - young Chinese traveling in an American icon.

We got to sit around a campfire with the film crew and talked about politics, travel, shooting video, spoiled celebrities, and a different sensibility shown by the Chinese. The Canadians said it was difficult for the young Chinese to break out of their traditional thinking - for instance, while very intelligent in their field of study, they did not possess a DIY capability or a sense of others around them. Still, their task was to put together a video that would express a sense of individualism and freedom outside their every day life. I don't know how well this would go over with government control but the filmmakers didn't seem to have any fears of being censored.

One of the young Canadians said the client was a multimillionaire, or maybe billionaire - I forget. But he said the businessman, upon looking at the young man's Facebook pages, told him that he had the better life, filled with adventures and friends, free from the stress of big business. It's nice to hear a similar validation of this lifestyle from an obviously wealthy man across the world. And I can certainly validate the symbolism of an Airstream - it's what we travelers do.

(And yes, I cleaned the toilets upon their departure.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05526.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	262644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05533.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	262645  

Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St. Paul , Minnesota
Hi Jeff,

What a great story. I so enjoyed meeting you, sharing stories and playing Pickleball.

We're in culture shock. Went from Moab to Las Vegas today, on to la tomorrow. Let's keep in touch!

Emily
rothse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Cool beans. We are considering buying property in Moab. We've been here for 28 days now.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:12 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Very cool. I guess it's no coincidence we've settled in a bit only a few hours away from each other - would we have guessed this back in 2014? Maybe Utah has a way of doing this to people and I think we sorta wanted the same thing - open space.

We've never hit Moab yet but will do so some day. I wonder if our respective towns, Moab and Escalante, correspond with our respective phases in life. I picture Moab as more high energy and progressive, whereas Escalante is slower and older. Still, it's fascinating to me as my wife and me wind ourselves into the fabric of this small town life. A couple weeks ago my wife quit her job at the restaurant and we thought we were heading to Glacier NP but the day before departure she found another job working for the local baker, who very much needed help. So now she's happy and I think we'll be here all summer and into fall a bit. I'm meeting more people, learning the characters and the lives behind the doors, and it's like finding gold - some really fascinating people and not just old generation Escalante folks but long-time transplants with stories. Relationships that can turn into roots - who knows?

Twenty-eight days in one area is a lot when fulltiming - that's enough time to get the feel of things. Your photos are amazing and I get it - it's intoxicating. We still want to explore but Escalante is a place in which I think we could live down the road. Moab seems perfect for your Jonesing for all things off-road. That would be amazing if you and the wife reach the same conclusion about the same location, at the same time. There are no time tables for these kind of discoveries.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were in Moab a few years back, and it is one of the most beautiful areas we had ever seen.

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying yourselves and small town life

Going to look Escalante up on the map and see if it is anywhere near where I will be this summer.

If you see a silver Interstate with Illinois plates and a rose hitch cover pull into town.......that would be Lily and me.

Maggie

On edit....Escalante is way south, but who knows where my trip back from the west coast will bring me...if you're still there.

I hope you're holding onto your writings, to perhaps publish them at some point, Jeff, and might even find a magazine to take them for you now.

You write beautifully, and I always enjoy your updates.

M
Old 05-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We also fell head over heels for Utah and I was infatuated with two little towns in particular.

Panguitch Utah, just east of I 15, west of Bryce NP off the Sevier River on Highway 89.

Tropic Utah, just east of Bryce NP, on Highway 12, nestled at the base of the mountains.

Both towns relying on tourism to survive but seemed tug at my heart strings.

And as had been said, beauty abounds, glad we live close by.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
That's Utah... it sticks on ya. I moved here 30 years ago for "just a couple of years."

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 05-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My daughter got her first nursing job in St George a couple of years ago. She's transferring to Salt Lake City this month for job advancement. We aren't Mormon, she went for the job. I'm thinking St George may be a good place to retire but after looking at real estate probably too expensive. There is a lot of homes in St George that have spots for RVs including neighborhoods with HOAs!. Imagine an HOA that allows you to store your RV at your house.

Kelvin