Old 06-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Hey Westcoastas - thanks for more great photos. We have fishing licenses and plan to try our hand similarly when we visit the area in early August. Will be driving through Escalante at some point between Boulder Mountain and Pine Lake stops. Are you still spending time at Shooting Star?

Regards - Ron

Old 06-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Yep, we should be. As you can see in the photo I posted above, there's plenty of room with full hookups for your Airstream. If you get a chance, drop by and say hello. It's always cool to visit with a fellow Airstreamer.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a beautiful area you have found for yourselves.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
I agree Maggie. When I was part of the rat race, the years would go by in a ritual of going to work and maybe getting out for the annual vacation which amounted to a three day weekend. As you well know Maggie, when you're on the road, time is now marked by experiences, memories of places and people, songs and weather.

I like to think Iím a dirtbag, just without the climbing, the van, the equipment, the stink, and the Ramen (well, I actually do have the Ramen).

Sometimes people ask whatís it like living on the road. When I was a kid on a family vacation, I used to calculate the day, the hour midpoint through the trip and then get a bit sad subconsciously counting down the hours until the drive back home; heck, I used to still do that when I was an adult on our rare weekend fishing outings. Now, there is no midpoint, no hump day and no drive back home. And while I donít have the climbing part down, I am outside and thatís good medicine for me. Iím always home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05778.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	266055  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
What a great thread! We came out to Escalante a few years ago on a 2 week tour of southern Utah, spending time at Kodachrome , Bryce, Moab, and Canyonlands. So fun, and so much to see we did it again the next year. The area had such a pull for us that when retirement finally arrived, we pulled up our stakes in California and are now living in the St George area. A common occurrence it seems!

Hope to make it back to the Shooting Star again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:08 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Hey Westcoastas, do you think you will still be there over Labor Day? My friends and I have been coming down each year to stay with Michelle & Troy cause we love the Shooting Star. Would love to meet you. I thank Michelle & Troy can speak to our (my) character!

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 07-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All you had hoped it would be, shifting gears as needed to keep your dream alive.

What a life.

Maggie
Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
What a great thread! Several years ago we were at St. George for 9 days. It was our base for touring the area. The drive on Highway 12 was memorable. Because of the short stay there was not much time to see each area. Now, with more time that will not happen again. Thanks for letting us see the area more in depth. Great writing and great photos.

By the way, Jeff, loved your "Moving Day" video. It told the story with no spoken words.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Hey Steverino - good to hear from you! Remember, you were the one who recommended we stay at Snow Canyon and that has paid dividends for us; it's our winter home Dec through Feb. I must have missed it that you live in St. George. I sure would like to meet up with you sometime this winter and grab some lunch. Pizza at the Dixie Pizza Wagon in Hurricane perhaps?

Stan, I did ask Troy about you and he does remember you coming out during Labor Day. We should still be out here and as you can see, there should be plenty of room for you come September. It would be really cool to meet you down here - lets stay in touch and when it gets closer to the holiday we can see what's up with each other's plans.

And Don, I agree with what you say about this area - it would take a lifetime to see everything and probably not see it all, really. And thank you about the "Moving" video. Funny thing is that day my wife was sick and I had the gout. Hobbling back and forth, setting up the camera & tripod and retrieving it probably looked pathetic to a bystander (well, there weren't any on the road that day) but we only had one shot to film it. Still, it's a lot of fun and provides a look back at memories.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Westcoastas - yes great to hear from you. We retired from Silicon Valley Insanity just over a year ago, and now live in Ivins, tucked up against Red Mountain and a seven minute drive from Snow Canyon. Give a shout your next time in town!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Jeff,

Sorry I missed you today - stopped in at Shooting Star but they said you went to St. George today. Hope to catch you next time.

By the way, we caught the start of the Tour of Utah bike race this morning in Escalante - pretty cool.

Regards - Ron

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470162814.404000.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  107.1 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470162841.451701.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	268172

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470162870.580916.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  116.9 KB
Old 08-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Darn, I would have loved hooking up with you Ron but needed to see an eye doc. I also gave notice to Troy so we'll most likely be leaving within a couple weeks - my wife is getting antsy and wants to hit the road again. We'll head north for cooler temps. Hopefully some day we'll cross paths. Ha! Nice pic of your rig!

Oh, and J&J, hope you make it to Escalante. Reminder - go see Caitie or Jim at Utah Canyon Outdoor Store in middle of town and across the street from Outfitters Cafe for hiking info and gear; they're good people. I posted directions to our cliffside spot 12.5 miles east of Escalante in a previous thread. The dirt road is known by either Old Sheffield Road or Spencer Flats Road. There isn't a sign but just a cattle guard 10.5 mi outside Escalante and on the right. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Jeff,

If you are heading north in a few weeks I guess we will miss you over Labor Day. Dang. Guess I will have to catch up with you down the road. Any idea where you'll be heading?

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Stan, there's a slight chance I'll still be here; we're waiting on a couple things to come through before leaving, so we'll see. We're definitely heading north. We have two couples we met last year in Idaho that we'd like to visit again in the Sawtooths, another couple camp hosting at Apgar in Glacier NP, or boondocking off the Silver Thread above the town of Creede, CO. But there's always the draw of seeing something new. Maybe Rocky Mt NP and eastern Montana. I think we'll be fishing in the eastern Sierras come October and travel to Oregon if weather permits before camp hosting again Dec-Feb at Snow Canyon State Park. I need to talk to you some day about northern Utah, preferably around a campfire. Who knows? At least we live in the same state!