Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I went to a local official Verizon store (not a franchise store) last week (Thanksgiving week) to look at the current "MiFi" modems. The salesperson claim is that they are 5G ready which is interesting as there currently is no 5G service anywhere. But most important for Airstreamers is the lack of a jack for an external antenna on the current new models.

I have hard wired and permanently attached an external Verizon modem antenna on both Airstreams.

With my last year model iPhone and the two prior models (6+, 7+ and now 8+) I see a significant cell signal degradation when I walk inside my Airstreams. I have the same results occur with the iPads that also have Verizon wireless service.

The older model Verizon modems I have (Verizon Jetpack® 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MHS291L is in use now) do have the jack port for an external antenna which brings the reception inside the trailer to the fullest level for that particular location.

I wonder if the 5G signal will less likely to enter the coach (Faraday cage so to speak) than the 3G & 4G signals.

I have been surprised recently in some locations to have signal drop back to EDGE and 2G. I thought those had been turned off....
My new 8800L has a pair of MIMO antenna jacks on it covered by rubber plugs that blend right in. Those jacks accept portable antennas that can attach to windows. A roof mounted antenna would plug into one of them typically but result in slower, non-MIMO antenna.

I use mine with a cell booster installed in the trailer with an external antenna so I don’t plug in.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
where can you or how can you get a roof etc mounted MIMO external antenna to prevent the slow down you mentioned. ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
My new 8800L has a pair of MIMO antenna jacks on it covered by rubber plugs that blend right in. Those jacks accept portable antennas that can attach to windows. A roof mounted antenna would plug into one of them typically but result in slower, non-MIMO antenna.

I use mine with a cell booster installed in the trailer with an external antenna so I don’t plug in.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
where can you or how can you get a roof etc mounted MIMO external antenna to prevent the slow down you mentioned. ??
The folks at the Mobile Internet Resource Center have an antenna roundup at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/rev...ular-antennas/

There are also some pretty spiffy boosters that do MIMO by putting the electronics up on the roof. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/rev...ng-range-wifi/
Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
The folks at the Mobile Internet Resource Center have an antenna roundup at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/rev...ular-antennas/

There are also some pretty spiffy boosters that do MIMO by putting the electronics up on the roof. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/rev...ng-range-wifi/
Those are antennas for Wi-Fi I thought you were talking about antennas for your cell phone service which is a different Spectrum or animal I would guess.
Wi-Fi pretty much for rvers is lost csuse most every RV Park with exception of just a very few the Wi-Fi is lame to non-existent at best
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Those are antennas for Wi-Fi I thought you were talking about antennas for your cell phone service which is a different Spectrum or animal I would guess.
Wi-Fi pretty much for rvers is lost csuse most every RV Park with exception of just a very few the Wi-Fi is lame to non-existent at best
Some of those devices claim to do both LTE MIMO an WiFi. This is very much bleeding edge stuff. I installed the tried and true Wilson Electronics Drive WeBoost 4GX , non-MIMO, booster in the trailer and then ordered a portable, window-mounted MIMO antenna to play with.

This article is a good summary of all this https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gui...ions/#nutshell

Turns out it is possible to install two (!) boosters and two antennas and feed them both into a single hotspot and have boosted MIMO. Nobody does this because of the expense and the hassle.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Chatted by text with a "Visible" rep on their website mentioned above and they do NOT support the iWatch paired with an iPhone and able to make calls away from the iPhone like Verizon and other US based carriers.

I have forgotten the iPhone at the house a few times and still can receive or start a call from the iWatch (Dick Tracey anyone?) while out and about. This capability is also necessary for the emergency functions built into the iWatch to work anywhere outside where there is cell phone (in our case Verizon) service.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Chatted by text with a "Visible" rep on their website mentioned above and they do NOT support the iWatch paired with an iPhone and able to make calls away from the iPhone like Verizon and other US based carriers.

I have forgotten the iPhone at the house a few times and still can receive or start a call from the iWatch (Dick Tracey anyone?) while out and about. This capability is also necessary for the emergency functions built into the iWatch to work anywhere outside where there is cell phone (in our case Verizon) service.

Which post are you responding to?
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
From post #80 above in this thread.

https://www.visible.com/

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Xfinity "Unlimited" Plan

Please read post #54 from Gulliver72 for back story.

After FAR too many hours on the phone, and WAY too many levels of Comcast hierarchy waded through, we've reach a loggerhead.

With no supporting documentation, or even a bill from XFINITY MOBILE, i received a text message saying I owe them $972.22 for my $45 UNLIMITED PHONE, TEXT, DATA plan good in USA, Canada, & Mexico.

BEWARE, STEER CLEAR, RUN from XFINITY MOBILE. It is not what they claim.

Hopefully, all of these posts will help me find our new best plan.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #110
TC1
1 Rivet Member

Pearland , Arkansas
Has anyone heard any updates on the airstream/AT&T plan? It was supposed to come out in late 2018.
TC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! I have just asked that question in the thread that covers that plan:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ms-187354.html

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Just got the unlimited prepaid Verizon plan and a jetpack
A couple hundred gigs into the first month and so far so good
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Both Penny and I have consumer cellular. Had ser. when almost no one had any at camp out when trying to make res. for coe. rates are very reasonable for 2 lines, with 400 min. per mo. no extra for long distance,only draw back they use Tmobile and ATT for serv. as they don't have any towers etc. also extra chge for text that we don't believe in, so no prob. Had ATT changed rates [lowered never notified] nextell now called sprint very exp. Have verizon unlimited for internet as we do not like any ph. avble. for all these services as only use to talk never send pics, text plus ph. cost under $50.00 per phone, if have old style small ATT flip ph. till works w/out pur. newer ph. [We have 1 of each.] So far serv. has been exc. except our house 3/4 mile from tower some times weak signal no where else this prob.
Have you forgotten how to write English?
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I generally disregard emails announcing a large payment due. Most than likely its a scam. somewhere, somehow you can find a phone number or website to check the info. I would before send any money to anyone. looks like you did.. what next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver72 View Post
Please read post #54 from Gulliver72 for back story.

After FAR too many hours on the phone, and WAY too many levels of Comcast hierarchy waded through, we've reach a loggerhead.

With no supporting documentation, or even a bill from XFINITY MOBILE, i received a text message saying I owe them $972.22 for my $45 UNLIMITED PHONE, TEXT, DATA plan good in USA, Canada, & Mexico.

BEWARE, STEER CLEAR, RUN from XFINITY MOBILE. It is not what they claim.

Hopefully, all of these posts will help me find our new best plan.