Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #81
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Ldytraveller, I'd love to hear your experience. My discussions with CS @ T/M indicated the hot spot use was throttled back to 600 mbps (?) or 3G (??) My inexperience shows here. Maybe 600 Mbps is fine???

We have a jet pack and connect with a laptop and Kindle and it has worked fine but finally making the jump to a smart phone and the T/M senior plan is pretty competitive. Plus I'm disappointed on the lack of apps for the kindle. I'm just concerned re the speed as I'm 4G LTE on the jet pack. We don't stream but connect for email & surfing. Comments and experience appreciated.
Bob
600 mbps would be crazy fast for LTE and at the theoretical limit. I don't think you would ever see this with any carrier today. If you could sustain 10-25 mbps you could support most use case and be very happy.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Daleyocum, so i understand, using the jetpack you can connect wifi (mifi?) to your phone to give you connectivity to make voice calls as well as data for a secure internet connection?

Bob
Tha’s correct. Athens iPhone doesn’t know the difference, wifi is wifi to it. You just have to enable wifi calling in Settings under “Phone.”

Android no doubt does something similar, I just don’t know the details.

By the way, I just got back from our Thanksgiving trip and the first real workout the Jetpack has gotten. It connected to our WFiRanger with no problem. It was really great to just be able to walk into our trailer and for WiFi to just always be live just like home. There’s no messing around unlike setting up hotspots on our phones. I’m a fan.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:19 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Tha’s correct. Athens iPhone doesn’t know the difference, wifi is wifi to it. You just have to enable wifi calling in Settings under “Phone.”

Android no doubt does something similar, I just don’t know the details.

By the way, I just got back from our Thanksgiving trip and the first real workout the Jetpack has gotten. It connected to our WFiRanger with no problem. It was really great to just be able to walk into our trailer and for WiFi to just always be live just like home. There’s no messing around unlike setting up hotspots on our phones. I’m a fan.

Can you explain what a WifiRanger is and does?
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Can you explain what a WifiRanger is and does?
The WiFi Ranger isn’t required for the Verizon hotspot to be useful. I just already had it installed so I used it.

The WiFi Ranger is an internet router designed for mobile applications. It can connect to various sources of internet, campground WiFi, hotspots, phones, etc. and then rebroadcast that as a single SSID within your trailer. That way as your source of internet changes you don’t have to go around to all your devices and connect them to the new source. In our case, “Rosienet” is always the WiFi SSID for our trailer no matter where it’s coming from.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfconnor View Post
600 mbps would be crazy fast for LTE and at the theoretical limit. I don't think you would ever see this with any carrier today. If you could sustain 10-25 mbps you could support most use case and be very happy.
Had to go back thru my notes as i was thinking under some phone plans the HS was throttled back....the number apparently 600kpbs or = 3g??? And not 600mbps...duh!

I'm trying to figure out how workable a hotspot function on a phone will work for OTR connectivity for the laptop and upgrade in that direction/device...or...keep the current jetpack and the new verizon plan and get a cheap phone (curently a flip/trac)phone that gets little use.

The T/mobile unlimited sr plan sounds workable if the 3g/600kpbs works for general surfing/email.

Otherwise i may loose the century link home dsl connection and simply go with the new verizon unlimited plan and an inexpensive phone plan. ..especially since i can probably get phone data connectivity thru the hot spot, and apparently voice too with the right settings.

My head is throbbing...think i'll go downstairs to the stereo and spin some simple vinyl!
I
Thanks kevnfconner and daleyyocum for your knowledge sharing

B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:13 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
...think i'll go downstairs to the stereo and spin some simple vinyl!
. . .

As one link in this communications chain, how about the simple cell phone possibilities with Consumer Cellular via AARP?

https://advantages.aarp.org/en/offer...lar.10002.html

$25/month seems attractive for unlimited phone and text. We may going in this direction as part of the next upgrade cycle.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
[QUOTE=CruizinDux;2183657

My head is throbbing...think i'll go downstairs to the stereo and spin some simple vinyl!
I

B[/QUOTE]

Did you see my post about Visible? It worked extremely well for us during our recent 6-week trip, and we used the Hotspot function extensively. But right now it's only available with iphone. Android is supposedly coming later.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #88
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Sorry I am not too well versed on what you are currently using. We are happy, so far, with the T/M plan. Our needs are simple. I agree that sometimes the speed drops so this may be a problem for you. We are !in Key Largo at the moment and that is our only experience with this service so far. As we travel North and West to Texas in Jan we will have a better feeling for the whole plan. I will post something if there is a major change in service. Keep us posted on what you decide to use. I trust fellow Airstreamers to find the best deal
Old 11-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
They say only by network management but both verizon rep.at verizon store not reseller or any other store that was verizon co. store and best buy both stated that it slo from start ............... This for my wifi and internet iphones other dif costs and plan lots slower than the unlimited plan that I have, then throttled after 15gb to same speed that $65.00 pre pay plan offers. Talk to authorized verizon rep. get true story not some market hype. Also called verizon 800 # at 8.19 am this morn and $65.00 prepay unlimited plan only speed is 600mb per second no HIGHER SPEED it does not throttled down as starts throttled speed no matter what there market hype of net work management so IMO not worth time or money to go w/this plan as it is very slo speed. Verify this is for data not cell phone talk only data.
Not 600 mb but up to 600 kps that is very slo for internet no phones.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Not 600 mb but up to 600 kps that is very slo for internet no phones.
The only thing is it’s not true that it’s capped that low. Many reps seem misinformed on this fact. I’m seeing speeds in the 3Mb to 30Mb range with only a couple of bars with this new plan and the new 8800L hotspot.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

As one link in this communications chain, how about the simple cell phone possibilities with Consumer Cellular via AARP?

https://advantages.aarp.org/en/offer...lar.10002.html

$25/month seems attractive for unlimited phone and text. We may going in this direction as part of the next upgrade cycle.

Peter
Hey Peter, check out mint mobile. It appears to be connected to tmobile like visible(which likes a steal...unlimited 4g lte @ $40/mo.) is to verizon

$20 mo x 3 mo...unlimited t&t + 5gb. If the tmobile coverage works, this looks like a great intro deal.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
The only thing is it’s not true that it’s capped that low. Many reps seem misinformed on this fact. I’m seeing speeds in the 3Mb to 30Mb range with only a couple of bars with this new plan and the new 8800L hotspot.
You are referring to the new Verizon unlimited data plan for $65/month?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
You are referring to the new Verizon unlimited data plan for $65/month?
Yes, that’s the plan I have. Just got it last week.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have been with Verizon since 1988. They simply have had the best nationwide cellphone coverage all these years. They have not been the lowest cost option most of the time, but coverage is the name of the game when driving across the USA and living in the Southwest with lots of mountains to block signals.

We currently have two iPhones, two iWatches, and older MiFi, and two iPads on the account. Monthly cost is absurd so had a discussion with several Verizon reps both face to face and on the phone. The iPads will be taken off which drops $10 access fee each since both of our iPhones can serve as a hotspot when needed at no additional cost like in years past.

When at our summer retreat from May to early October, the mesh wifi system installed in our Airstream only membership park (Ponderosa Shadows in Lakeside, AZ) does not work consistently with my Apple iPhones or computers. We ended up having a summer only cable modem creating our own WiFi network inside the trailer and our shed.

Both of our Airstream trailers have a WiFi Ranger installed along with a Verizon cell antenna on the roof. The MiFi can provide a suitable WiFi signal inside the trailer but data use becomes a concern with a fixed data plan.

It appears Verizon's business model is a revenue stream crowding $100 per phone. Every non-phone device incurs a $10 per month fee. The phones get a $20 per month fee. So with our current number of devices (before dropping the iPad line fees) of two phones and five non-phone items, the access fee is $90 per month. The shared 16Gb data plan is $95 per month (which is $20 more per month than the 8Gb plan we had for a long time). Add in the revenue enhancement fees and taxes and the bill totals close to $211. It will drop back to around $190 when the two IPads drop off.

Switching to the unlimited plans shows really more restrained use until one drops $85 per month per line for two unlimited premium lines plus the $50 access fees.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
SO i am guessing this "new" plan will work with older jet packs as well the new 8800L. I don't have a new or old one so looking for suggestions on which one to get and average cost.

it seem this is like the ole "grandfathered" plan of some 6 yrs ago that are still popular. is this a get it while is hot deal or wait till next nov to see what might pop up on the screen. ??

Quote:
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
SO i am guessing this "new" plan will work with older jet packs as well the new 8800L. I don't have a new or old one so looking for suggestions on which one to get and average cost.

it seem this is like the ole "grandfathered" plan of some 6 yrs ago that are still popular. is this a get it while is hot deal or wait till next nov to see what might pop up on the screen. ??
The 8800 is brand new and is likely the last hotspot Verizon will issue before their new 5G service rolls out. It’s $199. If you want the next best it would be the 7730. That one is a couple of years old and was the top of the line until the 8800 came out. You can get used ones on Amazon in the $75-100 range. New they can be almost as much as a 8800. Only official Verizon stores have the 8800 right now. The 8800 supports all the latest frequencies and tech until 5G is common.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that makes sense for sure.. So this "deal" might be like the deal of 3-4 yrs ago when you could get "unlimited" 3g service for something like 25 dollars a month.

I think/wonder if now a lot of towers, especially with verizon, have been or are being upfitted to 5g so the "3g" is mostly gone??

sound complicated.. I dont really need a full time data plan for 1.5 yrs but know this sounds like a great deal!!..

I have heard of a "unlimited" deal with ATT on ebay that a couple of teh full time RV'er we follow on youtube have been using and have been VERY pleased with it. this plan runs some $70 a month so right in the same ball park with this latest verizon deal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-UNLIMI...N/173203416180

they have not experienced any slowdown in service thus far but they are moving every couple weeks as well out west but that may change when you start getting in the southwest were EVERY body is headed for winter.

just trying to decide which might be a better "ride" for, an in, the future.

Quote:
The 8800 is brand new and is likely the last hotspot Verizon will issue before their new 5G service rolls out. It’s $199. If you want the next best it would be the 7730. That one is a couple of years old and was the top of the line until the 8800 came out. You can get used ones on Amazon in the $75-100 range. New they can be almost as much as a 8800. Only official Verizon stores have the 8800 right now. The 8800 supports all the latest frequencies and tech until 5G is common.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
that makes sense for sure.. So this "deal" might be like the deal of 3-4 yrs ago when you could get "unlimited" 3g service for something like 25 dollars a month.

I think/wonder if now a lot of towers, especially with verizon, have been or are being upfitted to 5g so the "3g" is mostly gone??

sound complicated.. I dont really need a full time data plan for 1.5 yrs but know this sounds like a great deal!!..

I have heard of a "unlimited" deal with ATT on ebay that a couple of teh full time RV'er we follow on youtube have been using and have been VERY pleased with it. this plan runs some $70 a month so right in the same ball park with this latest verizon deal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-UNLIMI...N/173203416180

they have not experienced any slowdown in service thus far but they are moving every couple weeks as well out west but that may change when you start getting in the southwest were EVERY body is headed for winter.

just trying to decide which might be a better "ride" for, an in, the future.

Regarding the “upfitting” from 3g to 5g, 3g and 4G will be around a long time! No phones even handle 5G yet and many more towers will be needed for 5G.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Regarding the “upfitting” from 3g to 5g, 3g and 4G will be around a long time! No phones even handle 5G yet and many more towers will be needed for 5G.

I live and work in Northern Kentucky just south of Cincinnati, OH. The company I work for supplies Verizon flip phones to the fieldmen. Recently the phones had to swapped out for phones with 4g capability because Verizon has stopped supporting 3g at a few of the local cell towers - the phones wouldn't work.
3g is on the way out at least in some areas.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
New model modem not necessarily better

I went to a local official Verizon store (not a franchise store) last week (Thanksgiving week) to look at the current "MiFi" modems. The salesperson claim is that they are 5G ready which is interesting as there currently is no 5G service anywhere. But most important for Airstreamers is the lack of a jack for an external antenna on the current new models.

I have hard wired and permanently attached an external Verizon modem antenna on both Airstreams.

With my last year model iPhone and the two prior models (6+, 7+ and now 8+) I see a significant cell signal degradation when I walk inside my Airstreams. I have the same results occur with the iPads that also have Verizon wireless service.

The older model Verizon modems I have (Verizon Jetpack® 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MHS291L is in use now) do have the jack port for an external antenna which brings the reception inside the trailer to the fullest level for that particular location.

I wonder if the 5G signal will less likely to enter the coach (Faraday cage so to speak) than the 3G & 4G signals.

I have been surprised recently in some locations to have signal drop back to EDGE and 2G. I thought those had been turned off....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote