Old 11-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
We have a Verizon unlimited family plan with three phones. Verizon works well in areas where our friends with AT&T had no service. We have good service in Alaska, Yukon, and Canada. We have not tried it in Mexico.
There are areas though where even Verizon has spotty reception and AT&T has good reception.

greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
I think GoogleFI is worth a look.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #17
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
The folks over at the Mobile Internet Resource Center have some of the most definitive data on this including apps that show you which carriers have coverage where at a very granular level. It's going to come down to Verizon vs AT&T, of course, and one will be better in one place and one in another. Verizon usually wins in the back country but not always. We have a contract with one and a prepaid burner phone with the other. Which is which depends on the deals they are running.

That site above does a good job of constantly tracking the plans and comparing them. You might need to get a subscription for a short time to see the content you want but it's well worth it if you are serious about this.
I second the suggestion to check out Mobile Internet Resource Center. Loads of information. Product reviews after testing. We are full time. Use an AT&T unlimited plan with added on Netgear hot spot for $150 and a Verizon unlimited plan for $80. We use a MIMO signal booster antenna which helps when cell service is poor. There are some places where cell service just isn’t. For Christmas we are gifting ourselves a WeBoost.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
virginia beach , Virginia
total wireless

Look into Total Wireless through Walmart. They use the Verizon system. Have live streamed tv onto iphone with no problems. Very good value.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
gurnee , Illinois
Danger Will Robinson, do not be lured into an unexpected deal. We bought our phones from T-Mobile and got unlimited data. Traveled through out west of the Mississippi. You know that red and white map of coverage (Can you hear me now?). Well as it turns out, they tell you that, when your in the white area out west, you are automatically switched to AT&T or Verizon to complete your usage or calls. Yepee!! oh no wait. What really happens is you have unlimited data ONLY in the red areas, WHAT? When your in the white areas you have to pay extra, like $15 for 15 minutes of data. We had 2 phones for $62 a month. Now one phone is useless until the first of the next month or (you PAY BIG) and the other needs to be reserved for emergencies only. That means no Maps or directions or looking anything up on the fly while in the white areas.With T-Moble the white area is 1/2 of all the western states. Remember you are Not staying in the cities but out in the sticks. Often times service ends right at the edge of town. If you are traveling there are ONLY 2 options, Verizon or AT&T. Just don't sign any long term agreements and get the best deal you can get. They often have deals right before Christmas. Lots of luck dealing with this bunch.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #20

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Athens , Georgia
We switched to Consumer Cellular in the spring, it's ok and cheap, but needed to change the SIM card from ATT to T-mobile for travel to Eastern Canada. Not only was T-mobile coverage bad in the NE US but in Canada I had NO coverage and could not even call CC to work it out. I had to rely on wifi at campgrounds and nice campers who let me use their phones for reservations. When I had the SIM switched back to ATT as soon as we returned to Maine, our coverage was fine. I appreciate this thread as we plan to return to other Canadian provinces next year and I will need to make changes prior to that trip.
kallbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
If I were full timing or traveling extensively in North America, I would be tempted to supplement my Version account with an AT&T plan. We've encountered situations where AT&T works where Verizon does not and vice versa.
SilverWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
The old saying, "you get what you pay for" applies. We used Verizon while full timing for a year and ran a consulting business while traveling around the country. Kind-of pricey but worth it. No issues with coverage but read the fine print. We had a 20GB data plan for the two of us (and our business) that worked fine. When Verizon came out with the unlimited plan, I thought that would be good & signed up. Here's the catch: After the first 10GB each month, they slow your connection WAY down. We couldn't do conference calls or net meetings or anything that required realtime data x-fer. I reverted back to the legacy plan -- with much difficulty getting them to agree to it.
Previously, we had AT&T but left them when I couldn't get signal in downtown Cambridge, MA. Have never had coverage issues with Verizon, except in Montross, VA of all places.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Just switched our T-Mobile to their new military plan. Definitely worth a look for vets.

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
As I mentioned earlier, the wife and I have AT&T. However, they are so screwed up that we have been looking for alternatives. Got a T-mobile monthly contract for an IPad and traveled out west to compare it to AT&T. No comparison....T-Mobile did not have a signal much of the time when we were reasonably remote.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I have Tmobile and many times, I'm the only one at a campground with no service. I like Tmobile, but I am travelling and camping more and need better service. I was considering ATT. We used to have Verizon, but their customer service was terrible and always billing errors.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I have Tmobile and many times, I'm the only one at a campground with no service. I like Tmobile, but I am travelling and camping more and need better service. I was considering ATT. We used to have Verizon, but their customer service was terrible and always billing errors.
Trust me....you want billing errors, plan errors, unreturned phone calls, etc. then AT&T is your company! Best in the business as screwing up things that don't even need to be touched!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Just switched our T-Mobile to their new military plan. Definitely worth a look for vets.
Per tmobile web site vets [military] $80.00 per mo. for 2 lines for a military vet does not sound like a good deal to me as I pay $36.?? pr mo. [if text extra chge] for 2 line unlimited talk, and we don't text never will. We have consumer cellular that uses ATT & tmobile for there serv. Never had prob. w/signal any where except at house, tower 1/2 mile from house some times weak some rooms.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I think Verizon is probably better than ATT. But whatever plan you get you really need to get a Weboost. Get one for the tow vehicle, and then figure out a way to move it to the AS. I did it without drilling any holes and I use a suction antenna on one of the windows. You can’t run the weboost on 12v power though. Went camping this past year in a remote area. Without the Weboost wouldn’t have been able to make a call. But with it had no problems. Well worth the money. Before I had the weboost in my pickup I would constantly have dropped calls when doing tower changes. With it: none. Also get a Roku for hooking up to the television. Then use your phone as a hot spot. Nice for watching Netflix, etc. Much cheaper then a dish service.

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote