Old 09-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
cats are all different but the same

a big "NO" to letting anything ride in the trailer. If you want to know what they would go through, have your significant other drive you around for a bit and you will know that its a washing machine back there. We have one cat who is Houdini reincarnated who can hide and not be found. I plugged holes as they could be found but she would always find another. After a few trips, I said "Screw it" and took the other two in the TV and rode down the road until the next exit. When I opened the door, "Houdini" would stagger forth as if to say "You win". Now she only gives a token of fuss before giving in. She doesn't get carsick.
She's one. We have three cats. Another travels like a seasoned bus driver. He doesn't get carsick at all but actually seems to like the experience. The third one (not Houdini or the bus driver) gets carsick before putting the TV in "drive" (literally and foams at the mouth). He's apparently carsick (literally and from multiple orifi... bring rolls of paper towels) for the first day. After that, he's not happy but resigned and doesn't get sick (wetly anyway). This is kinda like "sealegs" for us sailors and he's okay until we park for a week or so and then the cycle repeats.
The biggest comment we get from other campers is "Wow... ours would have torn the screens out and destroyed the interior by now." They are all different......
The first trip out we were ready to throw in the towel after the first two hours. Now its all part of the adventure. "Hitch up.... lower the antenna..... wipe the cat's mouth...."

Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
That is reason number 3, of 28,794, not to travel with, or own a cat.

WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
This cat, Maggie, although I loved her and she loved me, had severe psychological/behavioral issues- separation anxiety, pushy, bossy, needy- a shelter cat that was never properly socialized-
She pooped in the bed for the third time- I snapped and put her out and she never came home again- I did not handle that situation properly. I should have had more patience, did some research, took her to the vet for an exam to see if the showing out was health related or behavioral. If it was health related, get her treated. If it was behavioral, keep the bedroom door closed. I was keeping the door closed, but when I went in to get dressed for work, she slipped in and pooped in the bed again. I lost it.
No more cats for me. There are no guarantees. They ain't all like Aurora, my best true friend and companion.
Although Maggie was troubled and a pain in the buttocks region, she still camped like a boss.
I wish every day that I would have handled that whole situation better. If I had more patience she might have eventually turned into a great cat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441331796.404684.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	247235

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441331889.824394.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	247236

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441331908.420377.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	247237

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441331929.765076.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	247238

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441331966.510088.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	247239

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441331988.881465.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	247240

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441332027.689618.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	247241

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441332049.447994.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	247242

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441331752.901682.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	247234  
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
This cat had severe psychological/behavioral issues- separation anxiety, pushy, bossy, needy- a shelter cat that pooped in the bed for the third time
Is there any other kind of cat?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
She pooped in the bed for the third time- I snapped and put her out and she never came home again- I did not handle that situation properly. I should have had more patience, did some research, took her to the vet for an exam to see if the showing out was health related or behavioral.
Cats are creatures of habit, and scent is their strongest sense. If a cat "goes" anywhere but its litter box, it's very important to get rid of the odor right away by thoroughly cleaning the area— in this case not only your sheets but your mattress as well. A cat's sense of smell is about 200 times stronger than a human's and something that smells clean to you might still reek to a cat. There are enzyme cleansers specifically made for cleaning up after pet accidents.

This is important because if it smells like a litter box, it is a litter box, as far as the cat is concerned. And that's why it was three times in the same place; after the accidental first time, the cat followed the smell and subsequent times were no accident.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
This is where Boy-Cat likes to sleep during the long travel days... Not very comfortable but makes him happy.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441339025.407948.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	247249

If it's no obvious, he gets behind my back and goes to sleep.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
another thought on your 14-year-old cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post
I'm looking for some advise. My husband and I are purchasing a 2013 27FB. We are having a home built so we are planning the next 12 months (+or-) traveling. We have one dog, who travels everywhere with us, and one indoor/outdoor 14 year old cat.
I wonder if it's just too late in your cat's life to ask her to take on as radical a change as you have. But if you find that your training works, well, good for you; ignore the rest of this post.

But any experience I have had with "indoor/outdoor" cats has been that they really aren't interested in changing their life that much for you.

If it becomes evident that such is the case for your kitty, another choice could be to find a friend or relative that is willing to take her in while you are away. It could be a much more humane and less stressful answer to your question than forcing her to travel might be.

I don't know what the equivalent age 14 years is in cat years, but I'm sure it's a lot! Personally, I wouldn't rule out letting her "board" with someone you know will take good care of her while you are out travelling the planet and she is living out the balance of her life in a way she enjoys!

Just a thought...
Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Folks - several offtopic posts have been removed from this thread - please stick the subject at hand: Airstreaming with a cat. Thanks for understanding.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
nashville , Tennessee
Thanks Aage. I definitely have thought the same. I do worry that it will be difficult for her to adjust. I have thought about having her stay with someone for the year, but there just isn't anyone that I would leave her with. She is so connected to us, and Penny, our dog that I feel like she must come. I guess we will just take all necessary steps to make her comfortable in the TV ahead of time, and see how it goes. She doesn't panic in the car like other cats we have had, so maybe she will end up enjoying it. I can only hope! I'm ordering the soft carrier and will work on her getting used to that on our bed first. Thanks for all the input. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
Cat on the road

Hmm, our indoor/outdoor cat traveled inside both our trailers for over ten years. Granted we were not traveling daily, we were full-time workcampers. Our first trailer was a SOB with cross-cross triple bunks in the rear bedroom and she just crawled into her usual sleeping place, the small foot area of the bottom bunk. Later in our Airstream she rode/slept under the gaucho. Never sick and never any accidents. Unfortunately whilst sitting on my mother's deck one of her neighbor's dogs came in the fenced yard and onto the deck and killed her back in 2005.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Tow vehicle is the place

We travel with two house/trailer cats. One is a good traveler, the other ... not so much. We tried them loose in the TV, but in harnesses, with leases attached and held by the wife, so they would not bother me driving. One died on the console between us, while the other paced, crawled under the seat, climbed on top of the head-rests, etc, mostly while vocalizing her protests. What seems to bother both of them the most is looking out the side windows. Trees and buildings and trucks zipping by is something they just can't fathom and it really bugs them.

After a few trips this way, we decided to keep them in a carrier. They both use the same carrier with no squabbling, as they are sisters who often sleep in the same bed. They complain a bit at first, but usually soon settle down and doze. We take them into the trailer for a potty break and a snack, while we have lunch. The biggest problem is rounding them up to reinstall them in the carrier. We now know their hiding places and have modified things so we can retrieve them when ready to go back to the T.V.

Sure it's trouble, but one of the reasons for buying the AS was to be able to travel with our pets. We couldn't consider carrying them in the trailer, as it simply gets too hot there in summer and too cold when we travel in winter.

If push comes to shove, you can always resort to drugs. We find that a bit of catnip imparts a somewhat mellow mood and "hard drugs" are available from your vet. Good luck with your kitty. Our girls make us laugh a lot and that earns their place in our rig.

Richard
Old 09-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post

If push comes to shove, you can always resort to drugs.
What a GREAT signature!!!

lol
Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have one dog and 4 cats when we went full time. We travel a lot during that time. Cat box always in shower. Traveling went it was hot cats and small cat box in crate in rear seat of truck went not hot
Old 05-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Traveling, when it was hot the cats were in a crate in the back seat of the truck , we had a small kitty litter box in it also, when we stop we made sure they had water while the dog and us got out and walked. While stopped for the night or longer, cats had the run of the trailer. We had no problems with the cats or dog. We are down to one dog and one cat now but we yet travel about 4 to 5 months a year. 25FB Classic. #5587