Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Smile Canadian Buying an AS in US

Hi I am really new to this and I would appreciate anything that you can do for me as far as information goes. Iím considering buying an airstream that is currently parked on a pad and because I live so far away from it, I am thinking about leaving it down there, paying the pad rental, and renting it out for a year or so while I figure out how to get it up to Canada.
Does anybody have any idea what the logistics of this is and how I would go about setting all of this up? Thanks in advance.
__________________

Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 479
Go to the Government of Canada website about importing vehicles. Everything is explained on what and how to do the importation correctly. Easy to do if you follow the directions.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Thank you, I will check that out for sure! 😊
Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 408
If you do a search there are already some threads on the subject. I have done it along with many others and it is straight forward.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
DavidsonOverlander's Avatar

 
1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 919
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Go to the Government of Canada website about importing vehicles. Everything is explained on what and how to do the importation correctly. Easy to do if you follow the directions.
This one: https://www.riv.ca/

Note that the requirements change depending on whether the trailer is more or less than 15 years old. We've imported four vehicles (less than 15 years old) and four trailers (more than 15 years old) over the years and never had a problem at the border or with inspections. You just have to be aware of and follow a few simple rules, and be prepared to pay the taxes.
__________________
Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Can I ask if anyone has purchased a trailer in the US but left it down there on a pad in a park? Do I have to pay any of the taxes if I don’t bring it back to Canada? I’m wondering if that just happens when I bring it across as I plan to leave it where it’s at for at least a year.
Thanks!
Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
1995 36' Land Yacht
Shawnigan Lake , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
I bought my Airstream in Arizona and brought it up into B.C.,
I had absolutely no problem at all at the border, I came up thru Port Angeles, WA to Victoria B.C., (we live just north of Victoria) .
nensihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 479
You will have to pay tax ( PST & GST) only if you bring back to Canada. You will pay GST when bringing into Canada, and PST when you license it. If left in the US, it is best to contact the state to find out about any and all taxes that are applicable.
__________________
WBCCI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
DMT
4 Rivet Member
 
DMT's Avatar
 
2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307
Can you licence it in the US if you are not a resident?
__________________
[AIR# 55762 TAC# NFL-1
DMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
DavidsonOverlander's Avatar

 
1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 919
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Can you licence it in the US if you are not a resident?
It might vary by state. As non-US residents we've bought temporary permits for trailers and vehicles in the states, and twice when I bought old trailers in New York state that had no paperwork I licenced them in Maine so I'd have proof of ownership to import them into Canada. That said, one of my kids recently moved to Quebec and was not able to license a car there without a Quebec driver's license.

I'm not a resident or citizen of the USA, but I do have a US mailing address which Staab Agency in Maine accepted without any proof to register the trailers in Maine. I think the US address was just to have a place to mail the plates to because their only concern seemed to be that they wouldn't mail them to Canada. They knew I lived in Canada and that wasn't an issue.
__________________
Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne
 
Len n Jeanne's Avatar
 
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,646
We bought our AS from Airstream of Spokane, in Washington state. They were very helpful in getting us set up with a temporary license to tow it back to BC. Because we camp in BC as well as in the US, we didn't want to leave it down there permanently. Basically we didn't pay the Washington sales tax, but we declared the AS coming back through customs. Of course, we got whomped with a huge sales tax in the process, but we had budgeted for this.

We've been pleased with the service at Airstream of Spokane. http://www.airstreamofspokane.com/

Then there is a period of just a few days after your return to Canada to get it inspected as an imported vehicle. I think Canadian Tire in Cranbrook did this a few years ago when we bought Bambi II. Hopefully it still does, but you can check around. Then you also need to line up your ICBC insurance and BC vehicle license.

It was a small hassle (mostly because our local imported vehicle inspector forgot about our appointment,) but now we have no problems going in either direction with our official status.

A few years previously we bought a used trailer from some people in Bonners Ferry, ID for my son in Colorado, and once the ownership transaction was completed in Idaho we were able to get temporary Idaho licensing for it in the Bonners Ferry courthouse. This enabled us to haul it down to Colorado, where he looked after his own permanent licensing & insurance.

As sometime snowbirds, we have over-wintered our AS at an RV park's storage area in St. George, UT; and once at a storage facility in Moab, Utah. Since we were down there in the fall and planned to return in the winter or spring, this beat having to haul it that long distance, especially during the snow season up here. But these weren't year-round solutions.

If budget is a concern, see if you can find a lightly used AS, because it really will bring down the price.

Happy Trails.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Good question!
Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:53 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
We bought our AS from Airstream of Spokane, in Washington state. They were very helpful in getting us set up with a temporary license to tow it back to BC. Because we camp in BC as well as in the US, we didn't want to leave it down there permanently. Basically we didn't pay the Washington sales tax, but we declared the AS coming back through customs. Of course, we got whomped with a huge sales tax in the process, but we had budgeted for this.

We've been pleased with the service at Airstream of Spokane. http://www.airstreamofspokane.com/

Then there is a period of just a few days after your return to Canada to get it inspected as an imported vehicle. I think Canadian Tire in Cranbrook did this a few years ago when we bought Bambi II. Hopefully it still does, but you can check around. Then you also need to line up your ICBC insurance and BC vehicle license.

It was a small hassle (mostly because our local imported vehicle inspector forgot about our appointment,) but now we have no problems going in either direction with our official status.

A few years previously we bought a used trailer from some people in Bonners Ferry, ID for my son in Colorado, and once the ownership transaction was completed in Idaho we were able to get temporary Idaho licensing for it in the Bonners Ferry courthouse. This enabled us to haul it down to Colorado, where he looked after his own permanent licensing & insurance.

As sometime snowbirds, we have over-wintered our AS at an RV park's storage area in St. George, UT; and once at a storage facility in Moab, Utah. Since we were down there in the fall and planned to return in the winter or spring, this beat having to haul it that long distance, especially during the snow season up here. But these weren't year-round solutions.

If budget is a concern, see if you can find a lightly used AS, because it really will bring down the price.

Happy Trails.
So you are in Creston? My sister and brother-in-law live there, as you know, I’m not that far away & I know a few people in Creston I lived there for five years myself & get there often. Would be great to chat with you about this. �� My email is junkgypsy61@gmail.com, maybe we can exchange phone numbers��
Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
It might vary by state. As non-US residents we've bought temporary permits for trailers and vehicles in the states, and twice when I bought old trailers in New York state that had no paperwork I licenced them in Maine so I'd have proof of ownership to import them into Canada. That said, one of my kids recently moved to Quebec and was not able to license a car there without a Quebec driver's license.

I'm not a resident or citizen of the USA, but I do have a US mailing address which Staab Agency in Maine accepted without any proof to register the trailers in Maine. I think the US address was just to have a place to mail the plates to because their only concern seemed to be that they wouldn't mail them to Canada. They knew I lived in Canada and that wasn't an issue.
Thank you so much for that ��
__________________

Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a Blue Ox Hitch, buying question.. kittmaster Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 36 01-16-2019 03:13 PM
Canadian Caravel Owners Julison 1969-1971 Caravel 1 06-29-2007 04:52 PM
Canadian roads CACTUS Full-Timing 8 10-30-2005 11:15 AM
Crossing Canadian Border trumpwer On The Road... 20 07-29-2004 09:34 PM
Canadian Model Airstream? 53flyingcloud Our Community 5 11-29-2002 06:00 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.