Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Smile Canadian Buying an AS in US

Hi I am really new to this and I would appreciate anything that you can do for me as far as information goes. I’m considering buying an airstream that is currently parked on a pad and because I live so far away from it, I am thinking about leaving it down there, paying the pad rental, and renting it out for a year or so while I figure out how to get it up to Canada.
Does anybody have any idea what the logistics of this is and how I would go about setting all of this up? Thanks in advance.
Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Go to the Government of Canada website about importing vehicles. Everything is explained on what and how to do the importation correctly. Easy to do if you follow the directions.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Thank you, I will check that out for sure! 😊
Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
If you do a search there are already some threads on the subject. I have done it along with many others and it is straight forward.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Go to the Government of Canada website about importing vehicles. Everything is explained on what and how to do the importation correctly. Easy to do if you follow the directions.
This one: https://www.riv.ca/

Note that the requirements change depending on whether the trailer is more or less than 15 years old. We've imported four vehicles (less than 15 years old) and four trailers (more than 15 years old) over the years and never had a problem at the border or with inspections. You just have to be aware of and follow a few simple rules, and be prepared to pay the taxes.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Can I ask if anyone has purchased a trailer in the US but left it down there on a pad in a park? Do I have to pay any of the taxes if I don’t bring it back to Canada? I’m wondering if that just happens when I bring it across as I plan to leave it where it’s at for at least a year.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht
Shawnigan Lake , British Columbia
I bought my Airstream in Arizona and brought it up into B.C.,
I had absolutely no problem at all at the border, I came up thru Port Angeles, WA to Victoria B.C., (we live just north of Victoria) .
nensihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
You will have to pay tax ( PST & GST) only if you bring back to Canada. You will pay GST when bringing into Canada, and PST when you license it. If left in the US, it is best to contact the state to find out about any and all taxes that are applicable.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Can you licence it in the US if you are not a resident?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Can you licence it in the US if you are not a resident?
It might vary by state. As non-US residents we've bought temporary permits for trailers and vehicles in the states, and twice when I bought old trailers in New York state that had no paperwork I licenced them in Maine so I'd have proof of ownership to import them into Canada. That said, one of my kids recently moved to Quebec and was not able to license a car there without a Quebec driver's license.

I'm not a resident or citizen of the USA, but I do have a US mailing address which Staab Agency in Maine accepted without any proof to register the trailers in Maine. I think the US address was just to have a place to mail the plates to because their only concern seemed to be that they wouldn't mail them to Canada. They knew I lived in Canada and that wasn't an issue.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We bought our AS from Airstream of Spokane, in Washington state. They were very helpful in getting us set up with a temporary license to tow it back to BC. Because we camp in BC as well as in the US, we didn't want to leave it down there permanently. Basically we didn't pay the Washington sales tax, but we declared the AS coming back through customs. Of course, we got whomped with a huge sales tax in the process, but we had budgeted for this.

We've been pleased with the service at Airstream of Spokane. http://www.airstreamofspokane.com/

Then there is a period of just a few days after your return to Canada to get it inspected as an imported vehicle. I think Canadian Tire in Cranbrook did this a few years ago when we bought Bambi II. Hopefully it still does, but you can check around. Then you also need to line up your ICBC insurance and BC vehicle license.

It was a small hassle (mostly because our local imported vehicle inspector forgot about our appointment,) but now we have no problems going in either direction with our official status.

A few years previously we bought a used trailer from some people in Bonners Ferry, ID for my son in Colorado, and once the ownership transaction was completed in Idaho we were able to get temporary Idaho licensing for it in the Bonners Ferry courthouse. This enabled us to haul it down to Colorado, where he looked after his own permanent licensing & insurance.

As sometime snowbirds, we have over-wintered our AS at an RV park's storage area in St. George, UT; and once at a storage facility in Moab, Utah. Since we were down there in the fall and planned to return in the winter or spring, this beat having to haul it that long distance, especially during the snow season up here. But these weren't year-round solutions.

If budget is a concern, see if you can find a lightly used AS, because it really will bring down the price.

Happy Trails.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:46 PM   #12
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Good question!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:53 PM   #13
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
We bought our AS from Airstream of Spokane, in Washington state. They were very helpful in getting us set up with a temporary license to tow it back to BC. Because we camp in BC as well as in the US, we didn't want to leave it down there permanently. Basically we didn't pay the Washington sales tax, but we declared the AS coming back through customs. Of course, we got whomped with a huge sales tax in the process, but we had budgeted for this.

We've been pleased with the service at Airstream of Spokane. http://www.airstreamofspokane.com/

Then there is a period of just a few days after your return to Canada to get it inspected as an imported vehicle. I think Canadian Tire in Cranbrook did this a few years ago when we bought Bambi II. Hopefully it still does, but you can check around. Then you also need to line up your ICBC insurance and BC vehicle license.

It was a small hassle (mostly because our local imported vehicle inspector forgot about our appointment,) but now we have no problems going in either direction with our official status.

A few years previously we bought a used trailer from some people in Bonners Ferry, ID for my son in Colorado, and once the ownership transaction was completed in Idaho we were able to get temporary Idaho licensing for it in the Bonners Ferry courthouse. This enabled us to haul it down to Colorado, where he looked after his own permanent licensing & insurance.

As sometime snowbirds, we have over-wintered our AS at an RV park's storage area in St. George, UT; and once at a storage facility in Moab, Utah. Since we were down there in the fall and planned to return in the winter or spring, this beat having to haul it that long distance, especially during the snow season up here. But these weren't year-round solutions.

If budget is a concern, see if you can find a lightly used AS, because it really will bring down the price.

Happy Trails.
So you are in Creston? My sister and brother-in-law live there, as you know, I’m not that far away & I know a few people in Creston I lived there for five years myself & get there often. Would be great to chat with you about this. �� My email is junkgypsy61@gmail.com, maybe we can exchange phone numbers��
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #14
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
It might vary by state. As non-US residents we've bought temporary permits for trailers and vehicles in the states, and twice when I bought old trailers in New York state that had no paperwork I licenced them in Maine so I'd have proof of ownership to import them into Canada. That said, one of my kids recently moved to Quebec and was not able to license a car there without a Quebec driver's license.

I'm not a resident or citizen of the USA, but I do have a US mailing address which Staab Agency in Maine accepted without any proof to register the trailers in Maine. I think the US address was just to have a place to mail the plates to because their only concern seemed to be that they wouldn't mail them to Canada. They knew I lived in Canada and that wasn't an issue.
Thank you so much for that ��
Old 01-30-2019, 12:00 AM   #15
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Quote:
You will have to pay tax ( PST & GST) only if you bring back to Canada. You will pay GST when bringing into Canada, and PST when you license it. If left in the US, it is best to contact the state to find out about any and all taxes that are applicable.
Yes as I go along, I am finding out that if done in the right steps, this might be smooth sailing but I will be diligent with my research. Thank you for this info.��
Old 01-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario

If you are leaving down there and are not driving it on the roads then I'm not sure if you will have to pay state tax, but if you are licensing it down there you will have to pay the state tax. The question then becomes if you'll get that tax back once you import it into Canada. If you never plan on bringing it into Canada then I would just licence down there, but if you plan on importing it, it would be much easier to do it before paying any state taxes. The import is straight forward as many can testify. Also, if you are purchasing it from a dealer and do not want to license it and pay the state tax that dealer may not be able to give you possession in that state. I know California and Indiana are like that. They will drive the trailer to another state for you to take possession.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I puchased my AS in the US and imported it into Canada. There were no issues - just filled in the Form 1, paid the GST and then paid the PST on registering it with Ontario.

For those who plan on keeping their AS in the US, keep in mind that states vary how they tax and license RV's - many of them have an annual license fee (sometimes considerable $$) whereas in Ontario, for instance, there is just a single $10 license fee + another $10 for a permanent plate.

Canadian Tire has been authorized by RIV to do any inspections, which are covered under the RIV fee for autos, trucks, moho's & newer TT.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Hi, Junk Gypsy-- We've now exchanged contact info, but continuing to post on this thread might generate more info for you-- and other Canadians with your same questions.

One thing I mentioned to you via email is that there is an Airstream dealership in Penticton, BC, near Kelowna. We bought our 1st AS at Can-Am RV in London, Ontario. I don't know about other Canadian dealerships, let alone private sales, but it's possible that you'll find your AS in Canada. The sticker price at a Canadian dealership would probably be higher, but then they've already handled the import costs.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
but then they've already handled the import costs.
There are no import costs on a used trailer other than the RIV fee (around $225). You are going to pay GST and PST regardless.

But, there are plenty of used trailers for sale on Kijiji, many of them moderately priced (at least in my area). The only thing is that you won't have the selection that you do in the US.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #20
Junkgypsy61

1973 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
There are no import costs on a used trailer other than the RIV fee (around $225). You are going to pay GST and PST regardless.

But, there are plenty of used trailers for sale on Kijiji, many of them moderately priced (at least in my area). The only thing is that you won't have the selection that you do in the US.
Hi, thanks for the input & yes you are right, no import fees if the trailer is older than 15 years. I got that info from Gov.Canada. I see you are in Ontario which means if I find a trailer there, I am facing the same issues as if I was buying in Florida, shipping costs. I went on Uship & applied for some quotes & they range from $12,500-$15,500 with the exception of one that came in at $5879. I think it’s a little amazing that there is that much of a spread between quotes. I find the closer I get to home though the more expensive the trailer becomes. So I think this process is going to take a while I’m not going to jump the gun, I’ll be on the lookout for something closer but reasonable. ��