Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
You will have to pay tax ( PST & GST) only if you bring back to Canada. You will pay GST when bringing into Canada, and PST when you license it. If left in the US, it is best to contact the state to find out about any and all taxes that are applicable.
Yes as I go along, I am finding out that if done in the right steps, this might be smooth sailing but I will be diligent with my research. Thank you for this info.��
__________________

Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 408
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
You will have to pay tax ( PST & GST) only if you bring back to Canada. You will pay GST when bringing into Canada, and PST when you license it. If left in the US, it is best to contact the state to find out about any and all taxes that are applicable.

If you are leaving down there and are not driving it on the roads then I'm not sure if you will have to pay state tax, but if you are licensing it down there you will have to pay the state tax. The question then becomes if you'll get that tax back once you import it into Canada. If you never plan on bringing it into Canada then I would just licence down there, but if you plan on importing it, it would be much easier to do it before paying any state taxes. The import is straight forward as many can testify. Also, if you are purchasing it from a dealer and do not want to license it and pay the state tax that dealer may not be able to give you possession in that state. I know California and Indiana are like that. They will drive the trailer to another state for you to take possession.
__________________

gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,277
I puchased my AS in the US and imported it into Canada. There were no issues - just filled in the Form 1, paid the GST and then paid the PST on registering it with Ontario.

For those who plan on keeping their AS in the US, keep in mind that states vary how they tax and license RV's - many of them have an annual license fee (sometimes considerable $$) whereas in Ontario, for instance, there is just a single $10 license fee + another $10 for a permanent plate.

Canadian Tire has been authorized by RIV to do any inspections, which are covered under the RIV fee for autos, trucks, moho's & newer TT.
__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:33 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne
 
Len n Jeanne's Avatar
 
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,646
Hi, Junk Gypsy-- We've now exchanged contact info, but continuing to post on this thread might generate more info for you-- and other Canadians with your same questions.

One thing I mentioned to you via email is that there is an Airstream dealership in Penticton, BC, near Kelowna. We bought our 1st AS at Can-Am RV in London, Ontario. I don't know about other Canadian dealerships, let alone private sales, but it's possible that you'll find your AS in Canada. The sticker price at a Canadian dealership would probably be higher, but then they've already handled the import costs.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
but then they've already handled the import costs.
There are no import costs on a used trailer other than the RIV fee (around $225). You are going to pay GST and PST regardless.

But, there are plenty of used trailers for sale on Kijiji, many of them moderately priced (at least in my area). The only thing is that you won't have the selection that you do in the US.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
There are no import costs on a used trailer other than the RIV fee (around $225). You are going to pay GST and PST regardless.

But, there are plenty of used trailers for sale on Kijiji, many of them moderately priced (at least in my area). The only thing is that you won't have the selection that you do in the US.
Hi, thanks for the input & yes you are right, no import fees if the trailer is older than 15 years. I got that info from Gov.Canada. I see you are in Ontario which means if I find a trailer there, I am facing the same issues as if I was buying in Florida, shipping costs. I went on Uship & applied for some quotes & they range from $12,500-$15,500 with the exception of one that came in at $5879. I think it’s a little amazing that there is that much of a spread between quotes. I find the closer I get to home though the more expensive the trailer becomes. So I think this process is going to take a while I’m not going to jump the gun, I’ll be on the lookout for something closer but reasonable. ��
Junk Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,277
Junk Gypsy -> if you have a TV, why not drive down, close your purchase, tow it back to Canada yourself and import it when you cross into Canada. That's what I did. There is one gotcha you need to be aware of -- you must send the original documentation (title and purchase) to the US point of export which they require to have in their possession at least 3 business days before you leave the USA. You will have to stop at US export control where they will physically check the VIN number to the title and sale documents and stamp them. The Canadian side requires you to fill out the Form 1, and there may be a fee if there is any inspections to be done (newer trailers and all trucks/autos). It's not rocket science, just follow the instructions they give you.
__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
DavidsonOverlander's Avatar

 
1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 919
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Junk Gypsy -> if you have a TV, why not drive down, close your purchase, tow it back to Canada yourself and import it when you cross into Canada. That's what I did. There is one gotcha you need to be aware of -- you must send the original documentation (title and purchase) to the US point of export which they require to have in their possession at least 3 business days before you leave the USA. You will have to stop at US export control where they will physically check the VIN number to the title and sale documents and stamp them. The Canadian side requires you to fill out the Form 1, and there may be a fee if there is any inspections to be done (newer trailers and all trucks/autos). It's not rocket science, just follow the instructions they give you.
Are you sure you have to send the paperwork to the US point of export for a trailer. Maybe it's changed, but I remember doing that for our car, truck and van but not the trailers.
This site refers to "Any used self-propelled vehicle that is to be exported to any foreign country regardless of the value of the used vehicle." That doesn't sound like it includes trailers.
__________________
Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Gypsy View Post
Hi, thanks for the input & yes you are right, no import fees if the trailer is older than 15 years. I got that info from Gov.Canada. I see you are in Ontario which means if I find a trailer there, I am facing the same issues as if I was buying in Florida, shipping costs. I went on Uship & applied for some quotes & they range from $12,500-$15,500 with the exception of one that came in at $5879. I think it’s a little amazing that there is that much of a spread between quotes. I find the closer I get to home though the more expensive the trailer becomes. So I think this process is going to take a while I’m not going to jump the gun, I’ll be on the lookout for something closer but reasonable. ��
Not for a trailer. You are reading the wrong section. There are no import fees. My trailer was 5 years old and there were no import fees. You also do not need to inform the government ahead of time. Just drive up and tell them you are bringing it into Canada. Then pay your GST. Get all your paperwork and use that to fill in the RIV form online. Then wait for your letter and take it in to be inspected. Cdn tire sends that paperwork into the government and then you wait some more for another letter. Once you have that you can take it in and get it licensed and pay your PST. It really is that easy. Don't make it difficult.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #24
Len and Jeanne
 
Len n Jeanne's Avatar
 
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,646
Absolutely on driving down and towing it back yourself. An RV dealer and possibly if it's a private sale, the owner, would sell the towing hitch. (More $$ but get a really safe one.)

If you don't have a suitable tow vehicle, you might have an RVing friend or relative willing to drive their truck with you to your pick-up destination.

Oftentimes for people wanting a bigger trailer, the big expense isn't the used Airstream, but the purchase of a big enough tow vehicle that can handle that weight.

Then a bargain-priced older AS may need a lot of restoration to make it livable and road-worthy. Some people love doing this as a hobby, but it also requires a budget and some technical skills.
__________________

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a Blue Ox Hitch, buying question.. kittmaster Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 36 01-16-2019 03:13 PM
Canadian Caravel Owners Julison 1969-1971 Caravel 1 06-29-2007 04:52 PM
Canadian roads CACTUS Full-Timing 8 10-30-2005 11:15 AM
Crossing Canadian Border trumpwer On The Road... 20 07-29-2004 09:34 PM
Canadian Model Airstream? 53flyingcloud Our Community 5 11-29-2002 06:00 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.