Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
Can you please tell me... the soon to be rookie.

Can you please tell me... the soon to be rookie.
When you first started longer stays in your Airstream.... what did you bring that you really didn't need to or shouldn't have brought ?
aname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
My mother-in law ! ! !
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Too much food. On longer stays, you always get a handle on the local stores and can buy locally for far less than the cost of transporting and storing all that food.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
Over Christmas I stayed at the in-laws for 2 week..... I understand!!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I Agee, we pack enough for the first dinner, breakfast and lunch. The rest we buy local. Will will pack our favorite cheese and snacks but the rest we can help the small local stores.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
How about things like pots and pans...
No more then one be burner?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Must Have

Leave the TV at home but bring all you tools. If you have an older RV, you will always have something to fix and no time for movies.
But the most important thing is to bring your BH so as to have someone to listen and sympathize with you when the sun goes down. (second thought, - maybe she would like the TV?)

Happy Camping
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Brought way too many tools (heavy) and too many pots/pans (also heavy). Also had a bad habit of loading up at BJ's with the 48 rolls of tp or 32oz jars of peanut butter...

Actually brought cd's our first year out, now have an MP3 player full.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Brought way too many tools (heavy) and too many pots/pans (also heavy). Also had a bad habit of loading up at BJ's with the 48 rolls of tp or 32oz jars of peanut butter...

Actually brought cd's our first year out, now have an MP3 player full.

mike
Never have too many tools. Or too muchTP.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Too much food. On longer stays, you always get a handle on the local stores and can buy locally for far less than the cost of transporting and storing all that food.
We have found just the opposite, we seem to be able to buy food and especially soft drinksmuch cheaper around home. Usually try to have a weeks worth of supplies so we can stay away from civilization.

On the other hand it is hard to carry too many tools.

We stopped carrying bikes after hauling them to Alaska and back with out using them.
Also stopped carrying satellite TV equipment.
The kitchen tends to accumulate to much unused stuff and has to be re-evaluated every now and then
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Temptation

You'll be tempted to buy every darned new gizmo and thing for your camper - most of which a year later will never have moved from it's storage place under the bed.

Things that are always good.
  • Something to recharge your batteries . (If boondocking UNPLUG the trailer from the tow vehicle even if you leave it hitched. You CAN recharge your trailer batteries from a running tow vehicle, or if they go flat and the plug is in... you can discharge your car battery too.... 50 miles south of BF Egypt!) Generator? Charger?
  • Air compressor to air up tires. I have a tiny cigarette lighter one, that has always been adequate.
  • 1 extra fleece blanket - can be squashed down to nothing in a space bag, Last night it hit 20 and turned my chilly bedroom warm and comfy. I bought 2.5 yards of fleece on sale, serged the top and bottom - cost $11.
  • Long wool sox (I paid $15 for a pair of cotton lined hiker's sox mainly because I couldn't believe they'd be that good. Now I have three pairs.) When boondocking I can keep the camper at 50 F, and with a good sweater and my woolie sox be totally comfy. If your footsies are cold, you are cold.
  • Pots and pans. Start with a small nesting set or better yet, one skillet (lodge cast iron, buy at WalMart cheap) and One biggish pot, and something to make coffee/tea in. Add what you find you constantly need.
  • two good sharp knives - paring and meat cutting
  • decent paper plates and used silverware, coffee mugs - again let experience tell you what to buy after you've made 2/3 trips. Hot beverage paper cups are good too, take less space than styrofoam & can be used for cold drinks too.
  • Grey Poupon Mustard - just to keep up the "Airstream Millionaire" image... though it is good mustard.
  • No more than one spare set of sheets and pillowcases. You have to store them! I often do laundry and put the same set right back on.
  • cheap work gloves - so you can throw them out after a bad "black tank" incident.
  • First aid kit.
  • overdo only on tools - you'll need more than you expect.
  • on clothing, bring plenty of underwear - the rest is reusable.
  • If boondocking a plastic bucket is good to limit water use in shower. One small bucket of hot to wash in, one to rinse with.
  • 1 spare propane tank - the 20lb size. Murphy's law says you only run out at 3:00 am. A spare that you can swap out at gas stations, hardware stores, etc. will get you through til morning. I put it on the ground at the hitch, and padlock it to a safety chain.
If you fulltime and it gets cold, count on the campground losing power for six/seven hours too. My little Honda 1000 generator has saved the night more than once. (the damned furnace fan eats the batteries). I run a cord through the bottom of a window which sealed pretty well in spite of that, then plug in a space heater. Pipes fine. Me? Not toasty, but OK.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a generator. It's a big dollar purchase. If you boondock a lot in extreme weather you'll probably want a pair of Honda 2000's or similar, if you spend most of the time in full hookups a 1000 is fine. Actually have desperately needed mine only about 3 times, but it's been a nice to have thing a dozen more.

Happy trails. Paula
Old 01-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Paula's list is excellent.
The only thing I would add is, with the cost of laundromats, near the end of the trip it may be cheaper to buy more underwear and T shirts instead of the trip to the laundromat
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Tools

I have progressed from this standard, but starting out I would advise the following.
I was raised on the farm and it is amazing what you can do in the back 40 with minimum tools.
Basic --
Water pump (channel lock) pliers, Vice Grips (large and small), wire cutter, basic socket set that includes srewdriver bits, set of combi wrenches, pocket knive, large srewdriver/pry bar, heavy hammer, black tape, and a small role of bailing wire.
If you can't get back to civilization with those tools, then buy a membership in AAA and a cell phone.

Happy Travels
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
Paula.... excellent
very useful list! I just printed out.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I only brought 25' at first; I fit in 31' much better. So, I guess 6' is the answer.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
A four foot high radio controlled model sailboat! Way too big and fragile and never did get around to sailing it, just kept moving it around all over the truck trying not to break it!

The other thing was way too many clothes!

Even although now I bring only a fraction of what I did on our first trips, its still way too much.

I should learn that all I really need is a couple of tee shirts, couple of pairs of shorts, sweatshirt, jacket, sox, u'wear and swimsuit. I bring lots of fancier stuff and never out it on!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Make sure you have a good first aid kit including Benadryl (allergic reactions), Aspirin (cardiac issues like chest pain), Tums (for the tummy), Tylenol (fever or pain) and Ibuprofen (fever, pain, or a sprain,etc - helps reduce swelling of the area). It's also helpful to have an Ace bandage, and ice pack. Antibiotic ointment is useful to have. Be aware that medications all expire, so check them from time to time and throw out old ones.
2AM is NOT the time to need to find a pharmacy!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Whatever you can get by with on short trips will suffice for long trips. Nothing worse than too much stuff in the backpack, or Airstream.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
shouldn't have brought so many paper products in the kitchen. Wish we would have thought of an electric blanket!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Nothing worse than too much stuff in the backpack, or Airstream.

Doug
I buy that. I've done a lot of backpacking, and I try to think as of the A/S outing as a backpacking trip, and then add a few luxuries. Like a bottle of good Scotch, a few extra clothes, a freezer full of pre-cooked meals that only have to be heated, etc.

The only things I can think of that I have hauled around and haven't needed (much) are a high lift jack, a come-along, a shovel, and an axe. But when I get to needing them, there are few substitutes. I needed 'em all really bad twice ... the first time didn't have them along. Now I'll leave food, clothes, etc. behind before I leave them. And as Paula or someone noted, you can't have too many tools. It's always something ODD that breaks out in the middle of nowhere.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote