Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I only brought 25' at first; I fit in 31' much better. So, I guess 6' is the answer.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
A four foot high radio controlled model sailboat! Way too big and fragile and never did get around to sailing it, just kept moving it around all over the truck trying not to break it!

The other thing was way too many clothes!

Even although now I bring only a fraction of what I did on our first trips, its still way too much.

I should learn that all I really need is a couple of tee shirts, couple of pairs of shorts, sweatshirt, jacket, sox, u'wear and swimsuit. I bring lots of fancier stuff and never out it on!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Make sure you have a good first aid kit including Benadryl (allergic reactions), Aspirin (cardiac issues like chest pain), Tums (for the tummy), Tylenol (fever or pain) and Ibuprofen (fever, pain, or a sprain,etc - helps reduce swelling of the area). It's also helpful to have an Ace bandage, and ice pack. Antibiotic ointment is useful to have. Be aware that medications all expire, so check them from time to time and throw out old ones.
2AM is NOT the time to need to find a pharmacy!

Kay
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Whatever you can get by with on short trips will suffice for long trips. Nothing worse than too much stuff in the backpack, or Airstream.

Doug
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
shouldn't have brought so many paper products in the kitchen. Wish we would have thought of an electric blanket!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Nothing worse than too much stuff in the backpack, or Airstream.

Doug
I buy that. I've done a lot of backpacking, and I try to think as of the A/S outing as a backpacking trip, and then add a few luxuries. Like a bottle of good Scotch, a few extra clothes, a freezer full of pre-cooked meals that only have to be heated, etc.

The only things I can think of that I have hauled around and haven't needed (much) are a high lift jack, a come-along, a shovel, and an axe. But when I get to needing them, there are few substitutes. I needed 'em all really bad twice ... the first time didn't have them along. Now I'll leave food, clothes, etc. behind before I leave them. And as Paula or someone noted, you can't have too many tools. It's always something ODD that breaks out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
North Face Venture rain jacket or similar lightweight breathable tech rain jacket.
They take up practically no space. (they can be stuffed inside of one pocket)
They can be used for rain and wind.
You can layer them with other pieces instead of carrying a bulky coat if the weather turn colder than expected.
Eliminates need for an umbrella.
They breath and can be used comfortably in warm weather rain.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
@Paula (foiled again): forgive me if I missed something, but instead of running a space heater on an extension cord, couldn't you have plugged in the whole trailer? Seems like a 1000 would run the furnace & charge the batteries at the same time.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
@Paula (foiled again): forgive me if I missed something, but instead of running a space heater on an extension cord, couldn't you have plugged in the whole trailer? Seems like a 1000 would run the furnace & charge the batteries at the same time.
Tried that - 3:00 am Moonless night. Fast, simple fix needed. Later got a SHORT 30 amp cord... too much resistance or something in the long one?

Paula
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Tried that - 3:00 am Moonless night. Fast, simple fix needed. Later got a SHORT 30 amp cord... too much resistance or something in the long one?

Paula
Hey Paula, I think your honda is too small to allow your trailer to charge batteries and run a space heater at the same time.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by aname4me View Post
.... what did you bring that you really didn't need to or shouldn't have brought ?
Too many clothes/too many towels/too much bedding:
  • the habit of a complete change every day when at home just does not apply on the road (at least for us). We inevitably get back home and haul back into the house clothing that never saw the light of day when travelling.
  • ditto on the towels and bedding - on wash day the trailer is stripped.
Too many "bulk" foods:
  • we now keep 3 - 4 days of food supplies in the trailer - no more multiple cases of pop, juices, water or beer - just purchase what we need when we need it - for the next 3 - 4 day period.
Too large a tool kit:
  • I gotta qualify this one - still strongly believe in a healthy tool kit to meet forseeable needs/emergencies - but - over time - the kit(s) have been reworked to weed out the stuff that experience has shown I am unlikely to ever need - and I have carefully gravitated to multi-tools wherever it seemed appropriate.
Time (and you don't need a lot) will give you the personalized answer to your question - it doesn't take too many trips to figure out what you need - and what you don't.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
To anyone
I am sure different region have different names....

Is the Pry Bar... about a foot long, or like a 2' crow bar?
Is the Heavy Hammer... a 3 lb "surveyor's hammer"?
Is bailing wire... re-bar wire

I don't see Duct Tape?

Are the screw drivers #2 Phillips and/or a flat screwdriver
I assume no Robertson's (I'm Canadian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I have progressed from this standard, but starting out I would advise the following.
I was raised on the farm and it is amazing what you can do in the back 40 with minimum tools.
Basic --
Water pump (channel lock) pliers, Vice Grips (large and small), wire cutter, basic socket set that includes srewdriver bits, set of combi wrenches, pocket knive, large srewdriver/pry bar, heavy hammer, black tape, and a small role of bailing wire.
If you can't get back to civilization with those tools, then buy a membership in AAA and a cell phone.

Happy Travels
Dave
Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Ditto on bringing the tools, as many as you can keep in the tow vehicle. I'm still looking for a small, reliable air pump.
Start with as little as possible. My wife tends to bring too many shoes and outfits. She ends up using only about half.
Get a small space heater if you do winter camping. It's a lot easier than using the propane heater.
We bring few pots and pans. One frying pan and one medium pot usually does it.
Bring your credit card; Walmart has almost everything you forgot to bring.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to the forum, aname4me!

I have found that the old adage about travelling really does apply to trailer travel too: "Take half the clothing and twice the cash."

I would modify it with what RickDavis said about underwear and t-shirts though...