Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
Camping prices!!!

I am really getting sick of this.
I have to come to Maryland for family and I still have some chores to do in the area in summer.

I live aboard and dont have an income.

Who the hell can aford $30 freaking dollars a night?? Its a parking spot for $900 a month. I should just get an apartment.

Is there any other way?

I thought I had a brilliant idea and started contacting people selling land to see if they would temporarily rent me a spot and I find out they cant do it because the local governments have zoning laws that prevent land owners from doing this. Someone mentioned farms or agriculturral land might be ok, but Im not sure.

Are there any other options?

groundhogy
groundhogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Find a local church near the area you wish to stay and offer to keep the parking lot and surrounding area free of litter and debris while you stay. You may have to move a couple of times to other churches during the summer. Don't over stay your welcome and don't outwardly display your residency there (no awning, chairs or BBQ). Make sure you have a letter or permission from the parish priest with his or her name and your identity as well.

The other option is to approach the Maryland police force themselves, to quietly off the record, politely ask if they had any suggestions where you could stay that would not attract police intervention. They may suggest an out of the way place that would not attract attention. Again, be respectful and well kempt when approaching the police as first impressions are key to gaining their assistance.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Some people don't want to rent a spot like that because once you establish residency, you can quit paying and squat until they evict you.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
wow. thankyou Izuzu for the only good idea so far...
Old 07-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
You might also inquire whether RV parks have a monthly rate. Many bring the price down for a longer stay.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
900 is the monthly rate
Old 07-03-2016, 04:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Where have you been keeping your Airstream?

Is it possible to work out something with the storage facility?

Driveway or back yards of family you are seeing?

Maggie
Old 07-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Boondockers welcome, WBCCI host parking, COE parks come to mind.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Have you checked surrounding towns and counties for local campgrounds? I have stayed in a couple different ones for $9 to $19 a night when we traveled through Texas and Arkansas. Both were quite nice and on lakes.

These smaller, local municipalities usually have a campground for more reasonable rates. Most have a 2 week minimum but they allow you to go out a night and come back.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you have free time during the week approach a campground owner and see if they need some type of help, ie work camping. Most do use one or more people to help out either in the office or outside in exchange for either full campground site or partial.

We have one this year were I work 3 days on 3 off for six hours a day and we get a full hookup including cable on a river for no charge.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhogy View Post
I am really getting sick of this.
I have to come to Maryland for family and I still have some chores to do in the area in summer.

I live aboard and dont have an income.

Who the hell can aford $30 freaking dollars a night?? Its a parking spot for $900 a month. I should just get an apartment.

Is there any other way?

I thought I had a brilliant idea and started contacting people selling land to see if they would temporarily rent me a spot and I find out they cant do it because the local governments have zoning laws that prevent land owners from doing this. Someone mentioned farms or agriculturral land might be ok, but Im not sure.

Are there any other options?

groundhogy
If your able stay in WV or PA. Everyone I know that works in Northern Maryland wouldnt be caught dead living there.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We haven't been to the East Coast yet, but we rarely pay $30/night. We prefer COE parks (two week limit), State parks (limit varies). If we can't get those where we need them we try a Passport America park. We do have the Federal senior citizen pass (aka geezer pass), so our cost at COE parks is half the regular rate. We've paid as little as $7 for a night for electricity only.

Check out city and county parks. Some county fairgrounds and State fairgrounds have camping spots available when the fair isn't going on. You may need to drive some, but you can figure out how far you can go to save camping dollars, spending gas dollars, to come out ahead.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dont ruin things for the missionaries!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #14
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I just paid $30.00 a night CT State Park, no hookups, Because I was outif stAte. I thought that was high. Venue camp for work is best.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've maintained a small note book for 30+ years noting mileage, camping fees and general impressions of campgrounds we've used over the years. For instance, a CG in northern Arizona was $9.00 30 years ago and a recent stay was almost $50. In recent years, we've noted a number of campgrounds with permanent residents working in the area. Any campgrounds around Silicon valley requires advanced reservations and is very expensive due to the major ongoing construction projects. Last month we paid over $60 in Morgan Hill CA. Too, zoning has reduced the number of RV parks in some areas and the pricing is based on supply and demand. I'm amazed at the number of commercial vehicles doubling as tow vehicles that you see in campgrounds these days.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
"I'm amazed at the number of commercial vehicles doubling as tow vehicles that you see in campgrounds these days." Are you referring to large trucks that started life as semis? If you look closely at them you will see that many are only single rear axle and are sporting signs that say "Not for commercial use" or something similar. The fifth wheel trailer parked behind them is a really heavy one. Those trucks are used because they can safely haul the 20-25,000 pound coach.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
"I'm amazed at the number of commercial vehicles doubling as tow vehicles that you see in campgrounds these days." Are you referring to large trucks that started life as semis? If you look closely at them you will see that many are only single rear axle and are sporting signs that say "Not for commercial use" or something similar. The fifth wheel trailer parked behind them is a really heavy one. Those trucks are used because they can safely haul the 20-25,000 pound coach.
I'm referring to 3/4 and one ton pickups with ladder racks, tool boxes and signage offering plumbing, HVAC, electrical and other construction trade services.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is at least one member here, beetlebob, who is a master mechanic and recent graduate of an RV specific repair class.

He and his wife full time, and his truck with the tools of his trade is their tow vehicle.

He is working at the service station in Yellowstone this summer, so if you get thru there stop in and say hi.

A number of clever and resourceful full timers take their craft on the road with them, to finance their travel life.

Seems like a great idea to me.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Okay, I hope to be one of those with an F250 with tools towing an Airstream. We're full-timers and I do work with Laborers For Christ, which involves being in one place for several weeks to a year, and we provide all of our own tools. That's why our Foretravel MH is for sale and I daily read the Classifieds (and dream).

At least a couple of the Laborers have the BIG trucks (with equally large 5'ers) and LOTS of tools. I met one of them last year - 8 large and 2 extra-large military surplus boxes full of tools. He has a Volvo towing a Mobile Suites. His wife follows in the car. Truck isn't at gross weight (yet) so he's looking for more tools.