Old 07-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've maintained a small note book for 30+ years noting mileage, camping fees and general impressions of campgrounds we've used over the years. For instance, a CG in northern Arizona was $9.00 30 years ago and a recent stay was almost $50. In recent years, we've noted a number of campgrounds with permanent residents working in the area. Any campgrounds around Silicon valley requires advanced reservations and is very expensive due to the major ongoing construction projects. Last month we paid over $60 in Morgan Hill CA. Too, zoning has reduced the number of RV parks in some areas and the pricing is based on supply and demand. I'm amazed at the number of commercial vehicles doubling as tow vehicles that you see in campgrounds these days.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"I'm amazed at the number of commercial vehicles doubling as tow vehicles that you see in campgrounds these days." Are you referring to large trucks that started life as semis? If you look closely at them you will see that many are only single rear axle and are sporting signs that say "Not for commercial use" or something similar. The fifth wheel trailer parked behind them is a really heavy one. Those trucks are used because they can safely haul the 20-25,000 pound coach.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
"I'm amazed at the number of commercial vehicles doubling as tow vehicles that you see in campgrounds these days." Are you referring to large trucks that started life as semis? If you look closely at them you will see that many are only single rear axle and are sporting signs that say "Not for commercial use" or something similar. The fifth wheel trailer parked behind them is a really heavy one. Those trucks are used because they can safely haul the 20-25,000 pound coach.
I'm referring to 3/4 and one ton pickups with ladder racks, tool boxes and signage offering plumbing, HVAC, electrical and other construction trade services.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is at least one member here, beetlebob, who is a master mechanic and recent graduate of an RV specific repair class.

He and his wife full time, and his truck with the tools of his trade is their tow vehicle.

He is working at the service station in Yellowstone this summer, so if you get thru there stop in and say hi.

A number of clever and resourceful full timers take their craft on the road with them, to finance their travel life.

Seems like a great idea to me.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Okay, I hope to be one of those with an F250 with tools towing an Airstream. We're full-timers and I do work with Laborers For Christ, which involves being in one place for several weeks to a year, and we provide all of our own tools. That's why our Foretravel MH is for sale and I daily read the Classifieds (and dream).

At least a couple of the Laborers have the BIG trucks (with equally large 5'ers) and LOTS of tools. I met one of them last year - 8 large and 2 extra-large military surplus boxes full of tools. He has a Volvo towing a Mobile Suites. His wife follows in the car. Truck isn't at gross weight (yet) so he's looking for more tools.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote