Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #57
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We have been camp host for many years at Pike Lake State Forest in Wisconsin. This is the closest campground to Milwaukee and a short thirty minute ride from our home. We now do two months a year, June and October and i am the official Smokey Bear for the park. We can literally write a book on our experiences over the years and they are mostly positive. The duties are minimal but the opportunities are great. Our state keeps cutting the funding to our state parks and the paid staff has been cut from more than twenty to less than five. This year I will take over the naturalists job with hikes, talks and other duties to enhance the visitor's time in our forest. I am a volunteer so the state cannot cut me.

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
My husband and I are full timers. We like to volunteer at 2-3 jobs a year. We love the website. Most federal agencies and many state agencies will post their opportunities on this clearinghouse. Jobs are tremendously varied. Just start searching- when you find one that interests you, click the link for more details. There is usually a phone contact; we've found most volunteer coordinators very willing to talk with you about their opportunities. In addition, most states have their own site for volunteer opportunities.
We've served as campground hosts in a couple of Indiana state parks-neIther required us to clean bathrooms, but duties were different from one to the other.
We worked as site hosts at a historic tree nursery at a Natl Forest in Montana where we spent some time in the visitor ctr, and helped maintain historic buildings.
We are currently working at one of Florida's busiest state parks in the Keys- teams of volunteers rotate between different assignments- bathroom cleaning is involved.
We will be working later this year at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse- I will be collecting gate fees and Tom will be working as a lighthouse guide.
We are also scheduled later this year at the National Key Deer Refuge in Florida where we will be working in the visitor center and helping with some guided walks.
Most listings on will tell you how many hours are required per week- most are 24-30 either per person or campsite. For couples, nearly all will let you work the same days, and schedule you so you have consecutive days off so you can enjoy the park's amenities.
Our motives for volunteering are multiple- 1) it gives us a chance to stay for an extended time in an area (FL state parks limit you to 14 days at a park at one time, and that's IF you can get a reservation! ) There is so much to discover when you get to stay for a while. 2) we are retired government employees(fed and state) and have seen that budget struggles are real compared to what agencies are tasked with providing; 3) it feels good to give back, and share/interact with park visitors, 4) campsite with some amenities- most, but not all have had FHU, some have also provided propane and/or laundry facilities.
You shouldn't volunteer just to get a free campsite- you will most likely resent the time and duties you will give in return. We have learned so much from each of our experiences- we are full timing to get to know more about our country- being a part of a local institution lets us do that.
A note about many federal agencies- if you will work with money or computers, you may be required to pass a background check and security clearance process.

Vicki Ketchum
WBCCI 5809
2008 30 ft Classic
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery;
Today is a Gift from God; That's why they call it the Present.
VicKetchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Also you can check out some state parks, they pay but don't always offer sites. I had several offers, but I took a job with the USFS in Wyoming for the whole summer. But I am a Natural Resources Major. There are so many jobs available.
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
There is a camp host position available at Bryce Canyon National Park 15 July 15 October 2016.

We are the current Camp Hosts scheduled to leave 15 July inbound camp hosts canceled

Schedule is 3 days on 3 days off. Full 50 amp hook up plus propane provided. Duties: campsite registration, cleaning ashes from fire pit, picking up litter in and around campground. No bathroom cleaning.
Its a great gig. PM me if you want more details

Beach Bum is online now   Reply With Quote