Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Once you get yourself narrowed down in terms of a few possible locations, I recommend that you launch a separate round of questions regarding the specific targets you are considering. Such as how far up or down the coast you can go from that location before you might run into unforeseen situations.

Lawlessness is an issue on some of the more remote parts of the Texas Gulf coast. Not so much the violent kind but rather the drug-abusing kind. Groups of like-minded people congregate where they know that no law enforcement is likely to reach them as they conduct their activities. Those same areas are favorited by those who are very serious about fishing. The two groups tend to utterly ignore each other, which is surreal to me. I've seen fishermen casting lines and just a few feet away, hard core meth users stumbling around in the surf, not even aware that they were IN the surf.

It becomes a quality-of-experience issue. I would go out and explore lesser-known coastal stretches to try to get away from the crowds, but what's worse than crowds is having to watch acutely ill people at risk of OD-ing and drowning right in front of me.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
we stayed in the Rio Grande Valley for 6 years and I plan to go back (single handing it) there this year. There is a wide range of amenities and prices for parks. Definitely less expensive than Florida. Weather in Jan and Feb can be a bit dicey, but if the Tip o Texas is cold then so is everywhere else; and more so! You can stay in any of the parks along HWY 83 and still be in Pt Mansfield in 40 minutes I believe.
JCW

Old 09-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Moss Bluff , Louisiana
Best place in Texas or Louisiana to winter over?

I live about 35 miles North of Holly Beach near Lake Charles, LA. There are private campgrounds around the area, but most are full to capacity with all the construction workers in the area, and will probably get worse before it gets better. Sam Houston Jones State Park is a nice wooded camping area, I think you are limited to 14 day stays. If you are looking for blue water and white sand, Holly Beach is not for you - brown sand and muddy water - you have to go about 100 miles east or west to find clear water. Fishing for Reds usually is done in Dec thru Feb. Many folks do catch and release, as the bigguns' can get gamey, but are certainly edible. Someone mentioned the corrosive atmosphere near the Gulf, when I was shopping for my AS several years ago, I looked at several that had "lived" near the coast - not only pitting, but severe frame damage - High humidity and salt air can be an expensive combination. Reds are caught all along the coast in the winter, you can migrate East to West and pick your spot. One thing for sure, the beaches won't be crowded. Drop me a note if you decide to fish around SW Louisiana -
Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
To put numbers on the temperature, the last few winters in Rio Grande Valley have been very cool in Jan and Feb. Below 32 is not common but it does happen from time to time. A good day in February last year was only about 60-65. Oct through Dec has been warm and March and April gets hot like 80+. We have not been to Texas for two years but friends go for the whole allowable 6 months (Canadian eh!) and say they did not had a good January or February both years. Our friends who go to Florida say it was the same their last year. That is a change from 2007-2012 where a few cold days in January were common but on the whole temps were warm enough to want to go swimming. As I noted before, When the Tip is cold, the only warm spot in the US is Miami. Anything 6 - 8 hours north had freezing temps when the Tip is in the 30's.

Still I intend to go back to Texas this coming winter.

JCW
Old 10-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
We stay at Port Aransas. Small town resort, fishing village feel. All kinds of fishing in the area. Rockport - Fulton areas are very nice places too. Can get into the 30's when a cold front comes through but usually nice temperatures.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
I think I'm kinda looking at the area between Corpus Christe and crystal Beach close to Galveston or maybe someplace in the middle like Matagorda Texas it all looks like great fishing .Would like to find a close by eagle,moose or elks lodge or a American Legion post
Old 10-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybullet View Post
I think I'm kinda looking at the area between Corpus Christe and crystal Beach close to Galveston or maybe someplace in the middle like Matagorda Texas it all looks like great fishing .Would like to find a close by eagle,moose or elks lodge or a American Legion post
It appears that the camping opportunities at an Elks lodge are restricted to members-only. And if you are a member, then you should have access to regional directories that show the locations of all Elks lodges and describe the camping facilities (if any) at each. I'm not a member, but a fellow Airstreamer of my acquaintance who is a member keeps trying to recruit me every time we attend a WBCCI rally together, and he shows me his directories as part of his sales pitch.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Some state parks in Mississippi offer monthly rates. I looked up the rates, $400, e/w/s hookups.

Is this just over the winter months or any time. How do they prevent someone from living there all year or is a month the longest you can stay?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
We like the McAllen TX area - far enough inland to not get overly concerned about tropical storms, close to beach, easy access to Mexico.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It appears that the camping opportunities at an Elks lodge are restricted to members-only. And if you are a member, then you should have access to regional directories that show the locations of all Elks lodges and describe the camping facilities (if any) at each. I'm not a member, but a fellow Airstreamer of my acquaintance who is a member keeps trying to recruit me every time we attend a WBCCI rally together, and he shows me his directories as part of his sales pitch.
OH I'm not looking to stay at one I just want to be able to have a few private places to kick back and socialize as I'm not much for public bars or night clubs
Old 10-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Port O'Connor, Tx. Restaurants are pretty limited, but nice and quite.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Port O'Connor, Tx. Restaurants are pretty limited, but nice and quite.

Where in POC do you recommend in terms of accommodations? Regarding restaurants, Clark's used to be quite good many years ago. Not sure how it is now.

General caveat to add to what I said earlier about Texas:

Accommodations are tight right now. We have had a miserable year in terms of severe weather events - multiple floods closed and/or destroyed much of the public and private outdoor rec resources that are found in central Texas, which pushes local people toward destinations that they might not otherwise consider. There are a lot of off-the-beaten-path places where winter weekend reservations must be made weeks to months in advance. Generally you can do OK on week days, but weekends have Wallydocking written all over them at this point.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Be 'aware', the recent increase in 'oil field work' has brought significant road damage to the coastal areas (not that they were in best of shape to begin with)... but, Fracking and 'rework' of old wells has brought a LOT of heavy trucking to the area. A 'boon' for the locals who OWN the Mineral Rights... but everyone else pays the price..

Our son is a Supervisor at one of the 'resorts' on Port Aransas.. it is a 'tourist' place.. there are some nice RV parks, but kind of 'tight' for our taste for a long stay.

One I can recommend is https://www.thepalmsrvpark.com/site-map.html We know the lady who 'runs' the park.. and, man, she runs a tight ship.

That way you won't have to ride a long way around through Corpus Christi or take the 'ferry' across to Port Aransas (can have delays of over 60 minutes.) and are close to shopping... etc..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
There are several RV parks in Port O'Connor, including a new one right on the highway. Most are pretty basic in terms of amenities. The "Two RV Park" seems to have more full time residents. Clark's Restaurant has been closed for several years.