Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Thanks, Aage. Working Forums from iPad for first time, timeline isn't as obvious to me. I think I chimed in in another thread from like 2004. Not real helpful, 'tho it wasn't locked. Ah well.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Jim

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
I'm still here...

reading and gathering info, trying to decide on an Airstream model. I read the post about the aluminum issues and it seems the issue is still there. So, I'll continue to "lurk" so to speak.
cpaharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Hi DreamStreamr. I like your snap idea on the headboard pad. I too like the aluminum interior. Has a sleeker look. The only down side is sleeping near it in the cold weather. Yours is a great idea!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
If everyone liked the same things there would be only one model one size. Best to figure out what works best for you and do it.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
CPAHarley -- yeah, the stuff about the alum interior is all true. One of the mostly unheralded features, tho, is detection and correction of failed rivets. I replaced two interior wall sheathing rivets and three on the ceiling. How long would it take to lose sufficient interior wall rivets to allow bigger shape changes? We'll never know because we place ours every year. Our bros and sisters with vinyl or rug covered walls and ceilings might not know but maybe the next owners will?

LisaP -- construction seemed very easy, but I admit Debbie and her mom are very very crafty sewers. My only contribution was to find the REI 24 X 60 inch sleeping pad and cut it lengthwise, and later to install snaps on the wall. They did a great job making it and it has held up two or three years wonderfully. Or I would be sleeping with socks on my hands.

Naper -- so right about that! We love looking at others' Airstreams, getting ideas from them, and imagining how their floor plan or features would work out for us. Great to have diversity, so much more interesting.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley View Post
reading and gathering info, trying to decide on an Airstream model. I read the post about the aluminum issues and it seems the issue is still there. So, I'll continue to "lurk" so to speak.
Hey, CPA, glad you're still with us!

Which aluminum issue are you talking about, by the way?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
here is a 4 year posting found on the exterior issues:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...ams-31743.html
Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
let me try a better link here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ah, OK, the "filiform" problem. Yes, that is nasty. So, couldn't you get a late model used one? You'd be able to see if the trailer in question has it or not.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Winter Pkg.

I saw SOB (BigFoot) that had a Winter Pkg. I think they shut down but are returning to Production. My Airstream is hard to control in Low temps.esp Boondocking.I need a Generator.The Furnace draws down the batteries.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #31
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
I have been searching RV shows and reading several posts in my quest for the best, all around Airstream. My questions center around 3 areas, some of the models have the wrap around windows in the bedroom area. Is this area hot in the summer and cold in the winter due to the large glass area. I also notice storage under the bed with o/s access, does this make the bed colder? Would I not be better with less glass area exposure?
This has been answered already...so yes, glass = no insulation. IMO, it is not a deal breaker. We like the open feeling of lots of windows. One of the things that attracted us to the Excella (Classic). They can be covered in extreme cold.
Insulate under the bed space, and around the hatch doors. This bed space can be a cold spot. We put insulation under the mattress as well. It stays there all year, no trouble.
Quote:
The second area of concern is how the underbelly is kept warm, some models have hotair and some have 12V heaters on the tanks. It would seem the 12 volt would be more efficient.
You will be running the furnace anyway, so why not have it heat your tanks as well? The 12v tank heater will just be an additional drain on batteries.

Quote:
Finally, I notice some interiors have a finish and some are aluminum, what are the pros/cons in regards to heat and cold? Would not the non metal finish be more insulated? These concerns will help me in deciding on which model will suit my needs best. I appreciate your input
Of course, a smaller space will require less BTU's to heat. Having said that, you may also look at the size of the furnace offered with any particluar unit versus the sq footage. There are various sizes of furnace available. You will also want 2 propane tanks and 2 batteries, so this may sway your decision. Smaller AS do not have duals...
Cover the roof vents also. These are an area of significant heat loss.
Buy some of the foil/bubble wrap...indespensible for winter time camping. We also use a portable buddy heater in addition to running the furnace. Requires no power, and is like a little fireplace!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
So the consensus is a unit without 12v pads, but with heated tanks from furnace, and dual batteries. That will eliminate some of the models, and less glass is another concern but it is a trade off for summer use.
As far as the filliform- why is it called that name- it is hard to see this on online pictures of units.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #33
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Not really what you want to hear, but all of them are. It really boils down to how much space you need/want. Each Airstream is fully self contained, has connections for external supply for water, power, sewage, phone,TV/Sat and are prone to follow to same laws of physics as anything else on this rock. We are talking an RV here, so although some features may be better not to have in terms of insulation from the outside (skylights, vista views, wrap windows, etc), the reality is that it's a RV that is not airtight by any means and has significantly less "R" value than that of a house. In winter with any unit, expect your LP costs to go up....larger units have larger heaters and more heating space. Summer, if you are paying a flat rate, it's not as much of a concern, but again, larger units typically have larger A/C units, some even have two and once again, larger units can take more to cool on very hot days. So to me the better question is how much space do you need and from there how can you squeeze the most efficiency out of the unit that meets your needs.
Priceless tag line ... I love it! I work with some real Mac zealots. Here's one of my favorites ... "Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money as if there was no." Just took delivery of a 2011 27 FC, so this is particularly appropriate in my case..
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
As far as the filliform- why is it called that name- it is hard to see this on online pictures of units.
Filiform: filiform - Wiktionary
The first meaning is the one.

It's been a long time since you started looking—almost 2 years. Now's the time to buy, especially if it's snowing and bitter cold.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Working with an ipod here, so please forgive short answers and a few fat-fingering.

The vinyl in my classic has a foam backing that's about a quarter inch thick, which has some r value... As for the rap-window, I like it in the living area, but not in the bedroom. I like the cabinet option over the window in the b-room - personal choice.

Your question regarding heat options, in my opinion, can be answered best if you first decide if you plan to dry/boon-dock or if you are plugged into shore power. I am in the process of installing an Onan generator in my 30 foot classic that can run my AC and also charge the bats, but I have no interest in running the ten all night (and neither would the campers around me). So I am also installing a Wave 8.
The Wave 8 does not heat the tanks like the forced air furnace....so it's really not for extream cold weather, unless the water systems have been winterized.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Thanks, all, for the good information here. This thread answered several of our questions.

We have been concerned about heat transfer in an Airstream, and this thread has answered that concern nicely. We don't intend to do much boondocking, although we do want the capability to do so on occasion. We will probably attempt to stay with more moderate temperatures, so the extreme heat/cold conditions won't be a great issue for us.

I had wondered about the under-bed storage with outside access, not from a temperature question, but from a security one. The comments here have given me some ideas to work with.

We're also concerned about storage space, and DW and I both prefer the overhead cabinets to the extra windows. Yes, when we're parked in the Tetons it would be nice to look in any direction and see the mountains, but we're not going to be there all the time. The view in Toadstool Park is much more horizontal than vertical.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
David,

Looking outside is good on one side, not on the other, in our trailer. The streetside has 2 large windows and 2 vista views. The other side has a small window over the kitchen counter that is obscured when the door is open. Otherwise, it is too low to look out of.

The panos have good views, but we don't usually open the curtains all the way around for whatever reason—it just doesn't seem easy to do. We have all the windows in the bedroom covered with Reflectix to keep temps more even and keep it dark in the morning, so we don't even look out them.

The result of all this is that sometimes we are parked so we have good views, and other times we have to go outside. Each floorplan handles windows differently and you do have to consider what you want before you buy. If you spend most of your time outside, it may not matter as much. Maybe I get jaded—we have incredible views at home (I'm looking at 2 snow capped mountain ranges right now) so views out of a trailer are rarely as pretty.

Last we heard from cpa' was last winter—are you out there and have you made a decision?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We had the opportunity to tour a couple dozen different Airstreams last month at the Branson Rally, so we're well aware that there are many differences from model to model and year to year.

All other things being equal, we'd opt for cabinets over windows. Yes, the view is good (or not, depending on location), but DW is concerned about storage space. We do enjoy being outside if weather and bugs permit, so looking at the view from the campsite is usually possible. We also like to hike and see the sights, so by the time we get back to the trailer we're generally pretty pooped, and ready to just sit for a while.

No, we haven't made any firm decisions yet, and we're still a couple of years away from that point. We are learning a LOT, though, and gradually narrowing the field a bit. From all that we've learned, it seems that a 30-34' Classic is the size and trim that we want. We do want the wide body, but the slide is optional for us. I just found out that the 34' got the wide body in the mid-90's, so that opens up more for us than I had thought. I had heard that it didn't arrive until well into the 2000's.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
True All-Weather Trailer

Bigfoot is indeed back in business. You may want to check out their 25'. It is well insulated and the plumbing and tanks are heated. It is a true four season trailer. Being a Canadian manufacturer with its cooler temperatures, amusingly the air conditioner appears to be an option. The website is Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer. Pricing is very attractive. Now, it isn't the easily recognized Airstream and all that goes with it, but push comes to shove, it just may be better for serious all weather living.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
Bigfoot is indeed back in business. You may want to check out their 25'. It is well insulated and the plumbing and tanks are heated. It is a true four season trailer. Being a Canadian manufacturer with its cooler temperatures, amusingly the air conditioner appears to be an option. The website is Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer. Pricing is very attractive. Now, it isn't the easily recognized Airstream and all that goes with it, but push comes to shove, it just may be better for serious all weather living.
We stayed in our 21 foot Bigfoot for three cold nights in Desmoines, IA. The temperature got down to -18F. We had no problem at all staying nice and warm. I would not want to do that in our Airstream.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote