Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
A year ago i seen an airstream on craigslist and it said it had a factory cold climate package. (added insulation ect.) I never heard of that before, is there such an option?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You can put cellular shades or miniblinds on the center panoramic windows. Both have different effects and the cellular shades probably are better insulation. Then you can remove the center part of the curtains. None really insulate well because of all the air spaces around them. Reflectix attached to the windows with Velcro does a much better job of insulating, but you can't see through it unless you are Superman.

Never heard of a cold package, although if it's a European model, they seem to be better in the cold because of some different ways they are built.
Gene

Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
That's what I have now, mini blinds throughout including ends with just enough curtain to cover the curved parts. I just don't like the curtains though. They seem dowdy and dirty even though they've been cleaned. We live in our trailer so I see them everyday. I we just camped I probably wouldn't care.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
No Airstream is built for extremes temps. It is built to move from clime to clime with the seasons. Much below freezing or above 85 and it becomes hard to heat or cool with condensation in the cold.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
CPAHARLEY,
Good thinking process, to logically smoke out the issues. I don't think anyne can agree what is best, it is so personal. But I offer these specific comments on a couple of your questions.

bed with o/s access, does this make the bed colder? We used weather stripping along the bed platform edges to isolate the bedroom from the cargo compartment. And we improved the fit of the exterior doors to cargo compartments. No more drafts from down there.

some models have hotair and some have 12V heaters on the tanks. We had 12vdc heat pads under our CCD 22 tanks and, ironically, had one battery. Not that two would have helped. These heating pads are not for boon docking, only for plugged into shore power outlet. Forced air, on the other hand, works great for us.

interiors have a finish and some are aluminum, what are the pros/cons in regards to heat and cold? The clear-coated interior looks so warm and inviting, we prefer it greatly to any white or painted interior we've seen. It can be cool to touch, though. This comes into play at bedtime for me. We fabricated a headboard pad, covered it in Sunbrella to match sofa fabric, and installed snaps to hang it at head of bed. It is five feet long by one foot tall by 3/4" thick ensolite foam pad. Works like a charm especially for me -- I sleep on my side with one hand or other above my head at the wall. Was cold, now softer and never cold.

Good luck on your search, and welcome to the forums.

Jim
http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Just FYI, CPAHarley's last post was in Aug 2009. I don't think he reads here any more...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #21
Fuil-Timers

Thanks, Aage. Working Forums from iPad for first time, timeline isn't as obvious to me. I think I chimed in in another thread from like 2004. Not real helpful, 'tho it wasn't locked. Ah well.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Jim

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
I'm still here...

reading and gathering info, trying to decide on an Airstream model. I read the post about the aluminum issues and it seems the issue is still there. So, I'll continue to "lurk" so to speak.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Hi DreamStreamr. I like your snap idea on the headboard pad. I too like the aluminum interior. Has a sleeker look. The only down side is sleeping near it in the cold weather. Yours is a great idea!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
If everyone liked the same things there would be only one model one size. Best to figure out what works best for you and do it.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
Fuil-Timers

CPAHarley -- yeah, the stuff about the alum interior is all true. One of the mostly unheralded features, tho, is detection and correction of failed rivets. I replaced two interior wall sheathing rivets and three on the ceiling. How long would it take to lose sufficient interior wall rivets to allow bigger shape changes? We'll never know because we place ours every year. Our bros and sisters with vinyl or rug covered walls and ceilings might not know but maybe the next owners will?

LisaP -- construction seemed very easy, but I admit Debbie and her mom are very very crafty sewers. My only contribution was to find the REI 24 X 60 inch sleeping pad and cut it lengthwise, and later to install snaps on the wall. They did a great job making it and it has held up two or three years wonderfully. Or I would be sleeping with socks on my hands.

Naper -- so right about that! We love looking at others' Airstreams, getting ideas from them, and imagining how their floor plan or features would work out for us. Great to have diversity, so much more interesting.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley View Post
reading and gathering info, trying to decide on an Airstream model. I read the post about the aluminum issues and it seems the issue is still there. So, I'll continue to "lurk" so to speak.
Hey, CPA, glad you're still with us!

Which aluminum issue are you talking about, by the way?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
here is a 4 year posting found on the exterior issues:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...ams-31743.html
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
let me try a better link here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html