Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,233
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibskot View Post
First, I have no clue what a "SOB" is. Is that a person or a trailer? Second, thanks for the opinion. Funny thing is we thing that inside curves are what makes them cool. thanks
"Some other Brand"
__________________

__________________
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
ibskot's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 46
Pix 1972

Here are a few pix of the camper. Hopefully they load. Any opinions are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	214.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	185015   Click image for larger version

Name:	216.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	185016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	217.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	185017   Click image for larger version

Name:	220.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	185018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	218.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	185019   Click image for larger version

Name:	219.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	185020  

Click image for larger version

Name:	203.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	185021  
__________________

__________________
ibskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,751
Images: 33
Many of us would avoid that Airstream for all the reasons already stated.
You however seem enamored with the idea that your temporary home be an Airstream.
The coolness factor may be getting in the way here.
You need a good volunteer inspector to help you inspect it with a checklist in hand.
That model was produced in huge quantities so it is one of the lowest priced used Airstreams out there.
If you ever want to use it as a camper, there is a whole list of things you must check before we can tell you what it will cost to make it whole.
From the pictures you will certainly need new axles. This we know from the cracks you have shown us.
From the age it is likely you will need new refrigerator and hot water heater and maybe a furnace. For sure you will need a converter charger and new batteries along with new tires.
Not sure what is meant by the PO went through the AC. It is something not easily done, so I doubt it is true.
There is some evidence of tail droop, but not as bad as some.
If you can get it for $5,000 or $6,000; go for it.
When we who buy Airstreams look at one we approach it by making an inventory of everything that needs replaced, so we know what our total investment for parts will be before labor.
We then decide what we can do for ourselves and what we must pay someone else to do at $100.00 per hour.
Hope this helps.
__________________
Ken L
1966 Tradewind 24
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
ibskot's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Many of us would avoid that Airstream for all the reasons already stated.
You however seem enamored with the idea that your temporary home be an Airstream.
The coolness factor may be getting in the way here.
You need a good volunteer inspector to help you inspect it with a checklist in hand.
That model was produced in huge quantities so it is one of the lowest priced used Airstreams out there.
If you ever want to use it as a camper, there is a whole list of things you must check before we can tell you what it will cost to make it whole.
From the pictures you will certainly need new axles. This we know from the cracks you have shown us.
From the age it is likely you will need new refrigerator and hot water heater and maybe a furnace. For sure you will need a converter charger and new batteries along with new tires.
Not sure what is meant by the PO went through the AC. It is something not easily done, so I doubt it is true.
There is some evidence of tail droop, but not as bad as some.
If you can get it for $5,000 or $6,000; go for it.
When we who buy Airstreams look at one we approach it by making an inventory of everything that needs replaced, so we know what our total investment for parts will be before labor.
We then decide what we can do for ourselves and what we must pay someone else to do at $100.00 per hour.
Hope this helps.

thank you for your help. I have been trying to look up things for pricing of what might need replacement. I can't really do it until I know what actually needs to be replaced. That's the scary part. Same with a house. Every house I've got into there are always suprises.
__________________
ibskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
That one will be a project. In photo 4 there is a piece of floor tile missing and under it looks like wet wood. Farther back will be the totally rotten floor and rotten frame below. It will be a project so buy it with that in mind. I don't think you have a ready to camp in trailer.

Open the rear storage compartment and see what the frame crossmember looks like.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
I see no difference between a "mature" Airstream and buying a house as the second owner three years after it was built. Within a year of buying an almost 7 figure house, the expensive surprises started and have continued, in no particular order:

1. Replace all exterior windows and french doors as they were only primed, not painted and were rotting from sun exposure.
2. Replace the entire roof.
3. Regrade the drive so vehicles did not bottom out coming and going and put in pavers
4. Landscaping replacement and repair irrigation system
5. Redo stucco on complete exterior of the home.
6. Install a complete house RO water system due to low water pressure and contaminates in the city water.
7. Repair cracks in adobe walls due to settling.
8. Replace failing garage door

These challenges have exceeded 1/3 of the purchase price over the last few years.

So, I expect that there will be "repairs" even on our new 2013 model year Airstream, but hopefully the magnitude of these expenses will be more reasonable.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
ibskot's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That one will be a project. In photo 4 there is a piece of floor tile missing and under it looks like wet wood. Farther back will be the totally rotten floor and rotten frame below. It will be a project so buy it with that in mind. I don't think you have a ready to camp in trailer.

Open the rear storage compartment and see what the frame crossmember looks like.

Perry

That spot on the floor sags. I didn't expect a ready to go camper but I don't want to be in it for a year fixing it either. I have done a house bathroom in a weekend but I am not a welder and can't fix frame damage. We aren't talking 2x10's. I expected to take the bathroom out and replace subfloor...not frame. I will look at the storage compartment you mentioned. It is an hour away though.

Even with all this mentioned at under $4k is it a bad deal from what you can see???
__________________
ibskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
What you propose turns into a real project. I paid $5000 for my 81 and it was not in real bad shape other than being dirty and the floor in the rear was rotted out and some minor frame damage. I have over $10,000 into it now. It needed new tires, brakes, AC, Bathroom vent fan, plumbing issues, battery boxes, leaks leaks leaks, last 4ft of floor replaced, POR15 paint, furnance repair, antenna repair, vent repair, lights, toilet fixed, replaced. Now add ten years to that. I have been working on mine for over a year. This is just the short list.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
 
ibskot's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 46
wish I cuold tear it apart BEFORE I pay for it.

__________________
ibskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
Open that rear comparment and I bet that rear crossmember is gone.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #25
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031
Images: 9
What you are attempting to do can be done but I would also add a tale of caution before you buy. Read through the history of the Albatross and see the time it took to get it "mostly" done and the money. Without a few final things like awnings and television or stereo, we are well into $22,000 and that is just parts. The near three years it took of intensive work was way more than what we thought it would take. Good luck with your decision.
Sandy
__________________
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
 
arcamedies's Avatar
 
1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 343
Images: 69
Blog Entries: 5
refitting to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibskot View Post
We have found a 72 31ft AS we want to buy. Bathroom is in the rear and there are a few things that need attention. Before I go look at it again, are there any specific items to disqualify it? We want to live it for maybe a year while I build a micro house. Of course that year could turn into 2. We'd be putting it on land with a well and septic and power already there. I'd be borrowing a friends Cummins to get it. Tires under 2 yrs old or there abouts. A/c was recently "gone through" according to current owner and it does work. One small dent. We'd put in a small marine stove for heating and be parked under a carport for summer shade. Anyway, when I go next time with cash in pocket, are there a few things specific I could look for that would make this trailer no good? I hope this is in the right forum. I can't get it to show up in "new threads".

thanks for the assistance.
The marine stove is definately out for heating, a stove is for cooking not heating, running anything that eats oxygen is not good. Doesn't sound like you are intending to restore a trailer and pull it across the U S so if it doesn't leak and all systems work then it may be a deal. Now if you find it filled with rats, snakes, or aardvarks that would be a deal breaker .
__________________
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
 
arcamedies's Avatar
 
1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 343
Images: 69
Blog Entries: 5
A friend put $8000 into buying a white box trailer that will be worth $3000 in 5 years, an Airstream just keeps getting better and better if refurbished right and you'll usually get your money back out if you sell it.
__________________
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
 
ibskot's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
What you are attempting to do can be done but I would also add a tale of caution before you buy. Read through the history of the Albatross and see the time it took to get it "mostly" done and the money. Without a few final things like awnings and television or stereo, we are well into $22,000 and that is just parts. The near three years it took of intensive work was way more than what we thought it would take. Good luck with your decision.
Sandy

Wow. I looked through one of your threads. Wow. That's my fear. I don't have the time nor the money....but it's the hope that keeps Las Vegas rich. People keep trying. Not saying I will but the draw is strong. I just don't want to step into quick sand.

thank you for your insight.
__________________

__________________
ibskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.