Old 03-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Totally agree with Terro. They take the poison to the queen. It took 2 weeks but never returned. This will always be my go to.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Totally agree with Terro. They take the poison to the queen. It took 2 weeks but never returned. This will always be my go to.
Ditto, but only took about a week for us.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
If I use a ant bomb/fogger in the camper will it set off the propane leak detector?
Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"You may have water somewhere in the walls or floor. Ants need it just like anything else."

This, in addition to everything else. Probably a a leak or some condensation. At least look carefully for a damp spot.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
we use to get the small sugar ants every year, used the boric acid sugar water, no ants for the past three years, worked great for us. and we have a big bottle of boric acid should last many many years.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, many threads and post concerning ants here, but I have my first issue. While camping at the finger lakes I noticed a large amount of ant activity outside. 3 different types:

1) very large black ants which didn't seem interested in the AS or anything else.

2) common medium sized black ants

3) and very tiny blackish erratic ants, which I've come to learn are "crazy ants", due to their erratic and rapid movements.

I got infested with the two latter types. The common medium ones I have gotten rid of with the Terro feeding trays, which work well for the common medium black ants in the stick house.

BUT, the crazy ants seem to reject the baits. I have come to learn that they have a protein and a sweet cycle. I'll try the mixing of boric acid and peanut butter and the boric acid and honey concoction I see online. These little buggers are setting up nests INSIDE the electronics in my electrical center, which will become problematic if I can't eliminate them. They are attracted to the solar controller and the converter. (search, "why ants are attracted to electronics"). If not eliminated, they will short out electrical equipment. Saw them carrying eggs into the solar controller this morning! I'm at war!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
We've been fighting ants coming into our home for 20 years. We can keep them at bay but they're hard to kill. We've tried many different traps, the best have been Terro brand ant traps. We tried the liquid, dripped onto small shiny pieces of cardboard. You have to go get them and throw them away. The wife switched to the Terro ant traps, which has the poison inside. The ants crawl in and die, throw the trap away.

I know the desired action is for them to carry it back to their nest, but that's never worked. In the spring I use a powdered chemical around the base of the house, about 10" wide. I try to get it just before the spring rains so it goes deep into the ground. That has worked, we got to mid-July this year before seeing too many of them. They seem to be confined to the back door area.

When we travel to Florida in the winter I use Raid ant spray on the stabilizers, front crank foot, wheels, anywhere it touches the ground. I do this about every 2-4 days, depending on the level of ants around.

I do have one more solution. This past winter we had them coming in the oven, up to the kitchen counter. One of the back burners on the stove didn't shut off completely and we smelled "garlic" for 2 days before we discovered it. I'm thankful we didn't suffocate or explode, but no more ants.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
While on a trip I found hundreds of tiny ants in the morning, usually around fruit or some stray food.
I traced them to a cardboard box in the storage bay. It had gotten wet and there were a million ants inside. I assume the queen too. Got rid of the box and the ants gave up.
Beware of parking on grass, ants climb the tires and get inside.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Ants!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

BUT, the crazy ants seem to reject the baits. I have come to learn that they have a protein and a sweet cycle. !

ADVANCE bait will work.

Food type is the key. Colonies change and so do their target foods. Also some evolve to reject boric acid, the common poison in sweet baits.

So far in the airstream the sweet boric baits work. But in our house, they quit taking the sweet boric bait we used to put out every Spring for years. The ants got really bad, large and small.

I found a great website DoMyOwnPestControl.com http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/

The website has a specific research section on ants where I learned about protein vs starch. Based on comment section I bought granular ADVANCE Ant Bait,
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ad...bait-p-39.html
then put out a few tablespoon size piles of the stuff on our deck. The scent stopped them in their tracks and they started carrying it off. By morning it had all disappeared and the ants never returned! A few months later there was ant activity near the garage and one teaspoon ended it.

This spring my cargo trailer became infested (no food ever in there). One teaspoon of the Advance bait ended it.

It Is not supposed to be toxic to dogs but they too find the scent irresistible, so place away from them.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #24
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Thanks to an Airstream friend we found Terro liquid. Over ten years, we're on our second 1 oz bottle. Don't know if the ants had already run their course or the Terro did it, but we've never had an infestation endure a few days after we set the Terro drops on little cardboard squares in their path.

In some grassy camping areas we've put down Sevin dust but try not to. Those critters belong in the dirt there and other critters eat the poisoned critters, and on and on.

We vote for Terro for inside our trailer if we start seeing ants again.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Update: Mine have been eradicated. Combination of borax in jelly and on smashed hot dog. Also, it is imperative that you deny any water source inside the AS.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With dogs traveling with us, the "no water in the trailer" is a bit tough. The Terro packs do the trick very well .... We put them in strategic dog-inaccessable locations. Regardless if it being toxic, having them use them as toys makes a mess ....

Bob
Old 09-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If I'm staying somewhere for a while i spray around the trailer with Triazicide, it works very well.

I've also used the Terro ant killer shaker bag. Works well also.

I also use ortho home defense inside the trailer, especially around the back of the fridge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ITJH82...a-349327820280

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Terro-Out...&wl13=&veh=sem