Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by man7sell View Post
Just a thought on the tile, if silicon was used for adhering the tile it would probably stay just fine. I put tile in an offshore sailboat and it lasted for the 17 years of sailing and full time liveaboard. (And yes it went through plenty of rough seas). Not a single lost tile. Grout was silicon based too, no cracking.

Now the weight of the tile is a completely different mater
See, that's what I was thinking about. What if you found acrylic or polycarbonate tiles? They would be much lighter, and look somewhat like glass. They may fog over if the wrong cleaner or an abrasive was used though. Not sure if they would yellow over time.

Maybe a bubble glass, where enough bubbles were introduced, that it significantly reduced the weight, but then, if the surface wasn't solid, it would have tons of mildew.

I'm still thinking of options. I think it would be a neat setup if you can just solve a couple of issues. I would love to solve it for the floor as well - but that's just crazy talk.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
No price on the Craigslist Ad. It must be free.
The ad (which appears to now be deleted) said something about the price being on order of that of a "new one." Serious inquiries only, of course.

There are things that I really like about this renovation. Removing the divider walls and creating one long continuous countertop are good ideas that really open up the trailer.

But it does look like this is a semi-viral ad for the owner's architecture business. On the one hand - more power to him for clever marketing, given that it's a tough field right now. On the other hand - thinking that this trailer is worth (let's say) the ~$55k a new 25' would cost, without a polish job or documentation of frame/floor/axle repairs, seems optimistic at best.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
InsideOut beat me to the punch...that trailer is for sale on CL...hes trying to pump up the perceived value by marketing it everywhere. Kinda like the Amway guy showing up at your wedding reception!

Sent from my iPod touch using AIR Forums
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
I am responsible for one of those links, and I haven't posted much here, but I guarantee you I have never met the dude, nor do I have any interest in him profitting from his trailer. Good on him if it's an attempt at marketing and it worked. Things go viral because they interest people. I saw the link that someone else posted, and took a look and was blown away (visually). It definitely seems impractical in terms of towing around, but I got the impression that it was intended to be stationary anyway. He wouldn't be the first to do that. I can certainly understand dismissing it for its impracticality, but I don't know why it would cause upset. It was beautifully done and fun to look at. And now I'm trying to figure out how I can incorporate that iMac with the articulating arm into my airstream! There are some great idea in there, glass tiles aside.

Wow, that Victorian on is a sight! Granted, it's the polar opposite of my tastes (minimalist/modernist), but wow, that's a really small space to have that much going on visually. It reminds me of the Grey Gardens girls. I think I'd turn batty if I stayed in that too long.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I have to agree with KerriO. Have seen references to this AS in the many months that I have been perusing AS Forums and despite certain impracticalities that have been completely detailed by many, it never struck me as anything other than people, like myself, who were just blown away by the design and execution. Clearly if it is for sale and folks are visitors to this Forum then they will be aware of issues that could arise and if they are not denizens of this Forum, then buyer beware. But just from a cool looking renovation factor you have to admit that it is one of the more amazing transformations of an AS, even if it just sits in someone's backyard.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way.
<snip, snip>
But in hindsight, I guess it was because I read this forum way too much!
That's allright, Robwok, we all can have an "off" day - or even just get a moment of irritation, and go off in a direction we didn't intend. No harm, no foul.

And I can certainly relate to being in this forum too much... Every night when I get in from working on our little 20' Moho I get on the forum to learn more, read more, and just wind down - and it is becoming an obsession...
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Have you tried the tile idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Now, if he talked about replacing his axles, and using a new lightweight acrylic plastic tile with a white tinted slow cure epoxy as the grout, I might be really interested. I've been messing around with the idea in my head for a little while.
Has anyone tried this for their rear bath? We stripped the nasty old cracked fixtures out of our bath and are now kicking around ideas for replacements.

I've seen mentioned in a few places where folks have used small, lightweight glass mosiac tiles embedded in silicone to provide some flex. That would certainly be lighter and allow for more movement than a traditional ceramic or stone over a mortar bed.

Thanks for your thoughts/ideas.
Cambium29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #28
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I don't know which is more embarrassing the Airstream or the Rolls. Both look like they just want to die.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
That "Magnolia Pearl" thing is a bit frightening. The interior reminds me of photos I've seen recently of the decaying Michigan Theater in Detroit.

http://img.weburbanist.com/wp-conten...er-detroit.jpg

It's really totally unique, and I'm sure gets lots of attention at antique shows, but does look a bit like there should be someone in the corner reading palms and Tarot cards.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #30

Currently Looking...
1976 28' Argosy 28
Pinellas Park , Florida
Or charging for her favors.
Patrick Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Wow...
What a rude, and typically male chauvinistic statement! I wish you'd keep that sort of thing to yourself. Quite offensive.

As a matter of fact - she DOES charge for her services - pretty hefty too!
She is a very accomplished seamstress, and makes vintage replica clothing.
Check this out:
magnolia pearl | eBay
audiv8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Magnolia Pearl.. kinda like Maude's place in Harold and Maude, but its cool to see how different individuals treat similar spaces. So what if the guy is trying to sell his handiwork- hopefully what is underneath got the same treatment as what you can see (other vintage owners nod and wince in knowing agreement)
Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
West Monroe , Louisiana
Laura,

It is nice! Does anyone here have any idea what sort of light/vent cover he used? I really like that design, but it seems that you'd have to sacrfice your overhead lighting and vent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
barender is offline   Reply With Quote