Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clyde , North Carolina
Airstream or 5th. My marriage depends on it.

Please offer up any marriage advice you can. My wife and I plan to start the RV life in 2 years. We will not retire for another five years but instead continue to work while in the RV. We both work just need internet connection to do our jobs. We will keep our home and travel in the RV approximately 6 months out of the year.
Now here is where we need marital advice. I want us to get a 25’-30’ Airstream and she wants us in a 5th wheel. Main thing she is stuck on is the desire of more living/working space. I get it the 5th wheel is big!
My thoughts are since we are getting the RV before retirement and continuing to use it for many years into retirement, I want one that will handle years of use. Also I don’t want to have a RV that starts to look out of style in a few years.
How can I sway her that an Airstream is smaller but better? I’ve tried telling her she looks skinnier in an Airstream but not sure she’s buying that logic.
Wycolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's tough, because our friends have a fiver, and you could pretty much fit our Airstream in their living room once the slides are open! If I was going to be living in it, I would want all that space. There are some Airstreams with slides, maybe you need to hunt down one of those?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
For me the question is how many miles will you travel in that 6 months. If you are staying in just a few spots, then I may be in your wife's camp. If you are going to be very nomadic, I'd probably be in your camp....30' MINIMUM, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
If you want to be happy, do what she wants. Reason and logical thought should not be part of the equation.

You know the old saying, If Momma ain't happy, then no one is happy.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Wow, what a question!

We have a 25ft and love it. Although after 5 nights or so in a row we do want more space. I agree 30ft would be better.

A fith with slides will give you so much space. If you are going to be in a spot for a while that could make a difference.

I love our airstream and we will have it for a long, long time!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
You know what they say, " happy wife- happy life".

I would suggest renting an rv a few times. Ease into it. She may realize that one doesnt need a lot of stuff living this way. One thing I've realized since having the trailer is how easy it is to use it as long as we keep it simple. Mines a 23, too small for what you want to do but a 28 with the dinette converted to a work table might be perfect for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We've had and looked at them all for over 45 years. We've had three AS and tried others because they had "more room" - "easier to set up" so on and so forth. Our last was a 38' motorhome, great unit, hated the ride. Very easy to set up and take down, minutes actually. BUT, sold it after a 7,000 mile trip and bought another 30' AS.

Don't like 5th wheels - way to high, one has to be careful, very careful where one goes with the height. One has to be careful with an AS too, but not even close to a 5th. 5th moves in the wind, a lot, not as much as a MH, but more than an AS. Obviously we would advise a 30' AS. We travel about 5-6 months a year, have kept our home but most important don't work - retired full time.

Only real suggestion is sit in them, for hours. Picture what you would do with one. Go to a campground and walk around, talk to people, lots of people. I do it every campground we stay at and learned some valuable lessons about motorhomes after we bought ours. Simple things like cleaning the windshields, it's over 12' up there, need a high step ladder etc. So ask lots of people for the pros and cons. And good luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

My husband and I both worked in our 27 ft before we retired. Not for extended periods of time - we worked for a days to up to 2 weeks maybe 4-6 times per year. He worked at the dining table and I worked on the bed. We needed that separation as we needed to take phone called periodically. Was it ideal? Not really, but we kept the periods of time short and knew our working days were numbered. I'd say the size was not ideal for working but it's ideal for us now that we're retired. I don't think we would have lasted for 6 months with us both working in the trailer.

On another note, we were very grateful to have the opportunity to work while we traveled but had a somewhat romantic notion of how it would be. At the end off the day you're still working most of the time with limited time to do outside things. Some days you can be so sucked dry when the workday is over that it's hard to want to go out and do things. And depending on the time of year you're out, it may be getting dark right as the workday end.

Hope that helps!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstreams are better travelers because of their size, and fivers are better homes because of their size. The compromise may be a big Airstream or a small fiver.

And part of the overall rig is the tow vehicle, also known as your daily driver. Airstreamers have choices including some capable SUV's, fivers must have a heavy duty pickup. This I would not care for.

A truck pulling an Airstream can have a bed topper for carrying gear while a truck pulling a fiver will have little bed space, but much more storage space in the camper.

We travel half-time and do well with our medium-size Airstream and truck setup. Full-time would be a 30' Airstream, but we don't work in it and most of our days are outdoors.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if your wife loves cleaning a big house and likes to bring a 47 piece cast iron cook set with her, you might want a fifth wheel trailer. But if you would like to keep things simple, get a travel trailer. Our 25'er works great for us and for ten years we unhooked and went all over the place in our Lincoln Navigator tow vehicle. Soon we will be traveling with an F-150 tow vehicle. [A bit harder to park in town than our Lincoln] I would not want to cruise around the town or sights in a 350/3500 dually. Also you might want to show your wife a few videos of fifth wheel trailers going under low bridges.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I have work-timed for the past several years. First in our 31' Airstream (pre wide body), then briefly in our 25' Avion, and currently in a 32' Holiday Rambler 5er. There is no comparison when it comes to space, the 5er wins hands down. It doesn't have the cool factor of an Airstream, nor will it age as well, but it's very comfortable, which is what we wanted. We picked up a steal on a used 5er a couple of years ago and love it.

The big issue is that 5er's generally require heavy duty tow vehicles unless you get a small rig which sort of defeats your Wife's desires. A quality hitch (B&W Companion) can set you back more than you'd expect, but hitching up a 5er is a piece of cake.

And of course there's always the multiple RV owner option. We started off with one... then another... and another.

The Avion is our travel (Fun) rig and the 5er is resident for the most part. If I were traveling alone and relocating frequently I would lay out the money for a 31 to 34 foot wide body Airstream and not look back.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
The big issue is that 5er's generally require heavy duty tow vehicles unless you get a small rig which sort of defeats your Wife's desires. A quality hitch (B&W Companion) can set you back more than you'd expect, but hitching up a 5er is a piece of cake.

Hi, Sometimes that piece of cake looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th wheel drop..jpg
Views:	216
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	234989  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Get the 5er if she will tow it.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Get the 5er if she will tow it.

Hi, and park it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Couple of things to consider :

The airstream has a wide entry door , a flat floor , only 2 steps from the ground.

Fifth wheel has multiple steps to enter and multiple steps to the bathroom and bedroom.

Something to ponder as you age.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
BTW the 2016 Airstreams are rumored to have ducted a/c but unlike this years model the end caps will be the same height as the ducted portion, eliminating the bulge on the roof and returning the smooth lines of the classic Airstream.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I'd get a fifth wheel now with the idea to sell upon retirement and downsize to a Airstream.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Try and find a 30' slide and check it out. It will be sized similar to our moho on the inside. Also, there are other critical designs that you both need to decide on. For instance, a queen-size (minimum) bed with walk-around capability was one of our "must-have" features, and some galley issues because we cook together.

A/S owners have all these great rallies and is a pretty great support group, so that is useful for first-timers like you and me. I have a few more years of full-time employment and only about five years of local camping so far, so we have similar plans for the future.

I like kscherzi's suggestion above, but more critical is who and how you will drive whatever it is: my wife is not real comfortable driving the moho with the toad behind so we may be changing in a few years. This may take some trial and error, so be patient and fins some local rallies and talk to people.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It depends on why you go camping. If you plan on spending 90% of your time enjoying the stuff to do where you are camping then what you stay in is not that important. If you are going to spend most of your time inside then why camp at all? I would camp to hike, bike, and take photos. If you want to stay inside and watch TV then get a 5th wheel and keep it in the driveway or just stay home. Airstreams are best when on the move. They have a low center of gravity and lower drag. They can also last decades if taken care of. Most of your white box trailers will last about 10 yrs unless you spend a lot of time sealing them up or keep them covered. The white boxes have wood walls that rot when exposed to water and then there is nothing left of them to restore. Anything with pop outs can fail in the open position and then you are stranded till you can get it to retract. Pop outs also tend to be leak points which accelerates deterioration of the structure. I grew up in FL watch all sorts of RV's and boats rot.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Buy used, ask her to give the Airstream a try. If it doesn't work, you can sell it and move to a 5. That's an idea, but if she's already made up her mind......
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote