Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

1963 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
63 Overlander question

Hi folks, this is my first time posting on this forum. I’m looking for some information about my 63 Airstream Overlander. I bought it last year as kind of a second home while I help out with aging parents. It was delivered to me by the previous owner and we set it up at my parents house with its own sewer line. I had a problem with smell and I read in the manual that even when hooked up to sewer I should still close the tank and then empty it as needed. My problem is the pin that opens and closes the tank (on the outside) seems to be stuck. I’m not sure iif it’s in the open or closed position. Any ideas? Has this ever happened to anyone on this forum? I’m going to have to fix this before I move the trailer when the time come.
MRJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
These vintage trailers had a brass dump valve that is notorious for leaking and sticking. Kind of a 2X strike before walking to the plate.
Yup, the black tank needs to stay closed until time for all the ‘components’ to swoosh out in a rush so the solids get a free ride in the liquid. Unfortunately the leaky valve just leaves Mount Black Stone to crustify into a B grade movie horror.
The best solution is to adapt a new valve, Vintage Trailer Supply had a kit to do such.

Good luck!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote