Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Three points, more or less echoing what others have said:

1. I've got a 23 footer with mouse fur and vinyl interior, and an 11k A/C unit. It works just fine UNLESS the coach is parked in full sun and it's >90 outside air temp. Then it won't get it cold, but only comfortable. Moral: park in shaded areas when it's hot out, if you can.

2. The 11k unit runs fine on a Yamaha 2400 genset.

3. Since getting a solar power system, I've stopped carrying the Yamaha, and find that with a Fantastic Vent and a Fantastic Fan running inside, I can be pretty comfortable up to about 95 outside air temp and no A/C at all. But obviously there are a lot of variables, such as degree of shade, humidity, what you're wearing, your personal heat tolerance, etc. YMMV

Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I haven't read anywhere about it, but the solar panels should also help with external heat by shading parts of the roof.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Humidity is the killer. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone complain about too much A/C capacity, just the reverse.

Have a look at how you're using it (number of nights of use and climate/terrain), first, and spend time on window & vent coverings/insulation for same to cut solar gain (as these are good year round).

An inexpensive temp/humidity gauge is invaluable. Where I live (for homes) we read the humidity percentage as the first and last indicator of HVAC performance. 73F may be easy, but not with creeping humidity problems. Getting humidity down to around 45% is the real trick.

In this trailer I use a portable dehumidifier as the "bridge" between heat or cool appliances (as well as an oscillating table fan) to try and keep "comfort" affordable.

In the desert a slightly different approach applies.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Very true... I have been in 68 degrees and felt hot with humidity at 90%, and 80+ degrees at 5% humidity and felt cool. Fortunately, in Arizona, we only have to worry about humidity during monsoon season (late July through September), when the rains and dust storms come. However, our summer electric bills (for our home) are a killer, usually several hundred dollars a month.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Tavares , Florida & Trinidad Colorado
11,000 BTU A/C in a 20' Airstream

In August temperatures, we camped in Florida, South Carolina and Ohio. We had no issues with cooling our 20 foot Flying Cloud with the standard 11K unit. The 20 foot Airstream is a great choice!
L & K
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post

3. Since getting a solar power system, I've stopped carrying the Yamaha, and find that with a Fantastic Vent and a Fantastic Fan running inside, I can be pretty comfortable up to about 95 outside air temp and no A/C at all. But obviously there are a lot of variables, such as degree of shade, humidity, what you're wearing, your personal heat tolerance, etc. YMMV
Airsdream

I go to a lot of music/bluegrass festivals in the summer and boondock, so my goal is to remain reasonable cool using fans only along with changing out all my interior lights to LED type. I plan to install some Fantasic vents along with two more 6v golf cart batteries so make sure that I have enough battery power to run the fans and minimize the amount that I need to run my 1 kw Honda generator. I have solar plans as well but this will come later.

Dan
Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I also go to a lot of music festivals. Many will not allow generators at all, so solar and Fantastic vents (plus maybe one of the portable, plug-in Fantastic fans) will make a big difference in comfort. (Though usually by the time one wants to sleep, it's way late - or early! - and the temp. has dropped quite a bit!)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Airsdream

I have not been to a music festival yet that does not allow generators. It actually sounds like a good idea. I bring mine just in case- I have not needed it yet. I am sure that solar will be in my future though.

I am puzzled by your location of Perrysburg, Ann Arbor. I know Ann Arbor because I went to school there (U of M),and I think there is a Perrysburg in Ohio, but can you fill in the blank for me.

Dan
Old 03-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #23
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think you'll be fine w/ the 11K BTU. I have it in my 25. In most cases it is adequate for my 25. I have camped up to 115 degrees. I would think on a five foot shorter trailer it should have plenty of capacity.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Ironically, the new 20' foot Flying Clouds with the same floorplan have a 13,500 BTU A/C. Might have more to do with an economy of scale purchase plan on Airstream's part than on comfortability.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
My question is on several of the units we've checked out they have an 11,000 BTU A/C in the 20 footers. What is the performance in a 20 footer with an 11K BTU A/C?
I have a 25' with an 11,000 btu unit and live in FL. I have only camped so far in the summer down here so I can give you some information.

Our humidity is renown. My unit cooled the trailer just fine however, there is more to the story. I ran two humidistats to gauge what was going on. My very first camping trip I woke up with a sinus headache due to dampness. What I found was that if the unit was turned on low fan and cool it would nearly freeze up and it would get damp but cold. The humidity at night was worse. I found that running the fan no lower than mid-speed on a slightly warmer setting was better. The issue, according to my house ac man that I spoke with is that if an AC cools an area too efficiently then it has not had the time to draw all the dampness out of the air yet and then it is damp and cool. So, I tested the theory and sure enough he was correct. I was showing 67% and 69% humidity on the humidistats in a trailer with an interior temp of 71 degrees on a 92 degree day. I purchased two dehumidifiers- one an EVA non powered model and the other a small piero type and the humidity dropped to the high forties-low fifties depending on the time of day. When we went to St Augustine and it was storming, raining, etc. the humidity held there too with the AC running! So, my point is that the unit is more than powerful enough for the 150 cu ft or so of space. Consider it a good thing as it uses less power and can use a smaller generator.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
just found out from a dealer that the KOA Option package includes an A/C unit from another manufacturer that delivers poorer performance.
What manufacturer? It should not matter too much if it works. Look at the control box on the ceiling. Is there a brand name? Dometic, Coleman, etc. A new Dometic is about $800 (11,000 BTU Penguin II) so perhaps negotiation if an issue? Install costs more but still...
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

I have a similar size unit in my 25 Safari. We spend two weeks or so in southern Arizona in June where temps get up to 110 +
Our oberervations are the following.
1. When we get it out of storage on a hot day, we sleep in a motel that night because it takes 6 or 8 hours to cool it to a comfortable level.
2. Once cooled down, it is comfortable to camp in because the air conditioner gets a head start when temps are cool. Nights are always comfortable because the sun shining on the trailer heats it up and there is no sun at night.
3. If outside temps are 110, the trailer is 85 inside, only semi comfortable. A 25 degree drop in temperature is all you can expect from the A.C.
4. Our trailer has relatively few windows. Other posters in similar threads complain of poor A.C. performance in Airstream models with windows and skylights on the roof.
5. Even in Arizona where humidity is low, there is a trickle of condensation water from the A.C. In the inside, it always feels dry even after two showers.
Assuming the Airstream you plan to buy does not have any more than the normal two vents on top, a 10k btu air conditioner should be adequate for Virginia where temps rarely get above 100 degees.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
The best and most efficient unit out there is the Carrier V. Unfortunately they stopped selling them to the RV market. In full sun and 105, ours is set to low cool and cycles normally even with the humidity at 65 in our monsoon season. At the lowest setting the DW thinks it's too cold.