Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
In South Texas (most of Texas) wind load. And, protection from flying debris. Tiedowns per INLAND/Andy's suggestions (might be combined with anti-theft).

And, with the heat, all predatory types (birds, spiders, etc) will love the new roost you've provided. I'd do what I could via construction to keep this problem down.

Don't forget sun orientation changes through the seasons!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wish List for Airstream "Carport"

I haven't gotten to the stage of actually having it built, but I have been considering a pole barn/carport type of storage for my Airstream and Argosy -- side by side with additional length such that the Suburban can be parked in front of the Argosy and the Cadillac parked in front of the Airstream. At the top of my "wish list" are two very large exhaust fans (with variable speed controls mounted on a sidewall of the building) mounted in each of the gable ends (the largest that can be accommodated and permanently mounted in the gables) to insure airflow on those days when I want to work on either the Airstreams or the tow vehicles. I can't stand heat and humidity so air movement is a requirement for my storage shelter.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you build something with both ends open, and it gets windy, especially if you have walls or partial walls on the sides, you'll need braces at the front and back corners. These can be 2x4's or 2x6's attached down the side and to the beam across the top. These will make barriers for the trailer sides if the roof is too low. A high wind and no braces and the whole structure can fall over.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Even if it is Texas and wide open spaces, make sure you don't include a turn close to entrance and exit. Those side wall suggestions are good but make sure you have vents near high points.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Just completing our trailerport

Saw your post and thought I would pass along photos of the "trailerport" we are completing in our back yard for our 25" Safari. I had an existing pad which allowed us to build our main structure 30' long by 14' wide by 12' high. Were I starting from scratch, I would have made the pad a bit wider, but it is what it is. We opted for a metal roof with plywood underneath to protect from hail or falling limbs (we live in a hurricane prone area of the Gulf Coast). I also build a 12x30 lean-to off the side which has sufficient height to park my pickup and have workbench/cooking areas which will have pavers for flooring. 30 amp service installed with water available. Lighting is a work in progress. I think this will work for us nicely as our main consideration is protection from sun damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4920.jpg
Views:	4865
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	183370   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4919.jpg
Views:	3285
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	183371  

Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Snug...

Name:	image-1652274616.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	183375

Name:	image-2987609018.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	183376

Name:	image-2497945933.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	183379

Now for the roof. That is coming.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I didn't reall ALL the posts, but I'd say if you can make the roof supports such that you can put planking in the bottom chords of the roof trusses so you can work on the top of the trailer, that would be awesome. I'd suggest also drainage for washing it under the cover, out of the sun? And, would you want a sewer/water hookup so you could use it where it is? I think the idea of the screening around the sides is cool, some way of protecting it from blowing debris. Where I am, I'd want to enclose the carport- I'm an architect and am always thinking of ways to house an Airstream in a simple but very cool building, using the AS as a utility module- bath/cooking/sleeping
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you for the recent thread postings and suggestions. Funny thing is that I thought planning this Airstream parking/covered storage space was going to be the most challenging thing. But now it's turning out that finding a home builder that doesn't want to gouge us with the oil & gas boom is the bigger challenge. But all the suggestions so far are great and have opened my eyes to many things I would have never thought to consider.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Very Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumitater View Post
Saw your post and thought I would pass along photos of the "trailerport" we are completing in our back yard for our 25" Safari. I had an existing pad which allowed us to build our main structure 30' long by 14' wide by 12' high. Were I starting from scratch, I would have made the pad a bit wider, but it is what it is. We opted for a metal roof with plywood underneath to protect from hail or falling limbs (we live in a hurricane prone area of the Gulf Coast). I also build a 12x30 lean-to off the side which has sufficient height to park my pickup and have workbench/cooking areas which will have pavers for flooring. 30 amp service installed with water available. Lighting is a work in progress. I think this will work for us nicely as our main consideration is protection from sun damage.
Alumitater,
That is an excellent idea. This is EXACTLY what I want for my Airstream. I'm sure living in Alabama you also have to worry about hail? I know you guys get some heavy duty thunderstorms down there. What's a ball park figure for something like that? Thanks for the idea.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
Here is a great source for inspiration.desertsandsrvpark.net
This vintage park has several spaces with constructed covers. It is extremely windy so you can be sure the design has taken wind load into consideration. I like the side fencing that these places have. Open yet effective.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Snug...

Attachment 183375

Attachment 183376

Attachment 183379

Now for the roof. That is coming.

Hey Channing. We sure miss everyone. I’m doing research about covers and my major concern is sea air. If you have recommendations let me know. Hope to you two soon. Stay warm, crazy times.
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote