Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
Winterizing, where did I go wrong?

How cum dept???? When you can see antifreeze up to but not through an open valve while looking at the translucent hose, how did that happen? You'd have to say that the valve is not open, right? I have a really strange plumbing system in my AS. It doesn't seem to make any difference what I do the pink stuff goes into the WH. I've gone through 8 gals already. Have recovered a couple from the WH. I got the cold water side winterized, but not the hot water hoses. Any help here?? Also have a Thedford Toilet with a sprayer. The sprayer is activated by pressing the handle on the sprayer while holding down the foot pedal. I cannot get any antifreeze to go there? need help with that?

Ron GRRRRRR

Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
How cum dept???? When you can see antifreeze up to but not through an open valve while looking at the translucent hose, how did that happen? You'd have to say that the valve is not open, right? I have a really strange plumbing system in my AS. It doesn't seem to make any difference what I do the pink stuff goes into the WH. I've gone through 8 gals already. Have recovered a couple from the WH. I got the cold water side winterized, but not the hot water hoses. Any help here?? Also have a Thedford Toilet with a sprayer. The sprayer is activated by pressing the handle on the sprayer while holding down the foot pedal. I cannot get any antifreeze to go there? need help with that?

Ron GRRRRRR
Part of the problem is that you're trying to fill the whole system with antifreeze. You don't need to do that. Normal winterizing consists of draining everything, blowing out the lines (dry water lines don't freeze) and then just adding enough antifreeze to make sure any low spots that might trap water have an antifreeze residual.

Living where I do, I'm not an expert on winterizing anyway, but when you said you've gone through 8 gallons of antifreeze my mind boggled.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Look closely at the piping in the water heater. You should see at least three valves with T handles (if yours is like mine). Find the cold water inlet pipe at the bottom or low side of the tank. If the valve is open the T handle will be parallel with the water line. Turn it so it is perpendicular. When it is turned correctly consider that when looking at it, it is blocking the water from passing further.

Look for the hot water pipe which is close to the top or upper end of the tank. Again check the pipe and follow it to the T handle. Again make sure that it is in the perpendicular position.

Finally look for a third pipe. You will notice that this pipe connects both the cold and hot water lines together. This is the bypass line. Normally its position is in the perpendicular mode blocking flow between the pipes. Turn this valve so that the T handle is parallel to the pipe connecting the hot and cold water lines. When in the parallel position, the liquid in the cold water line moves directly into the hot water line thus bypassing the hot water tank.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
We have a 98 Excella 31' and it takes about 2.5 gallons to winterize it. Don't worry! You didn't bypass the water heater properly, that is all. Did you remove the drawers in the bathroom so you can access the water heater valves? If so you should see there are three valves in a H pattern, the two on the outside close off the water to and from the water heater, and the one in the middle allows water to bypass around the heater. So to do this correctly you have to turn off the two valves and open the middle valve. That is how the water goes around the water heater and not through it. I bet you only did the middle valve, a common beginner mistake.

Damon
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
Thanks everyone. I think my biggest worry at this point is the toilet and sprayer. I'm concerned that when I have the pump blowing antifreeze thru the system, and I flush the pot and spray the sprayer, nothing happens, nothing pink or even any water comes from the toilet or sprayer??? I mean every other possible valve to the outside has been closed. The path of least resistance should be that open toilet and sprayer head. Any Ideas here???
Ron
Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
Thanks everyone. I think my biggest worry at this point is the toilet and sprayer. I'm concerned that when I have the pump blowing antifreeze thru the system, and I flush the pot and spray the sprayer, nothing happens, nothing pink or even any water comes from the toilet or sprayer??? I mean every other possible valve to the outside has been closed. The path of least resistance should be that open toilet and sprayer head. Any Ideas here??? Ron
My trailer has a valve that shuts off the line to the toilet and sprayer. Follow the line back from its connection to the toilet. You eventually will run into a valve. Make sure you get pink into that toilet and sprayer. Also don't forget the kitchen sink sprayer (if you have one).

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Instead of stepping on the flush valve lift up on the flush valve then pump the pink stuff