Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2005, 03:50 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Water Pump not holding pressure

I added another gallon of anti-freeze to the water holding tank (4 1/2 gallons total). As soon as I turned on the water pump switch, the pump started running. Normal when the system isn't pressurized. However, when I opened the faucet, it only spit some anti-freeze and never went to a steady flow. The pump continued to run (working hard), even after I closed the faucet. This indicates that there is a problem with the pump or something on the suction side preventing the pressure to hold.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their water pump?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Members -- Pay attention to Bob's previous post

... but I'm going to pose one more thought. If the latest gallon just got the level to where it'd draw, what if pumping some of that gallon up into your pipes pulled it down to where it was drawing air again? (thus the spitting)

I don't have the best notion of whether the intake out of your fresh tank is in the middle or on either side. If it is the latter you might see what happens if you alternate running either the right or left tires up onto a 2x6 -- or two. Then is it either fore or aft in the tank, thus affected by tongue height (hadn't we gone there already?).

It takes a little tinkering but installing the Camco 3-way winterizing valve let me winterize with only two gallons! Amounts may vary. My access was very difficult but my Argosy experience helps me take things apart -- maybe a little too well. I have a couple herniated disks in my neck and had a very tough week at work because of last Sunday's valve installation. I wish the neck had as workable a solution.

Anybody else have suggestions on accessing 22' CCD pumps?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #123

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Bob, have you ever drained the fresh water tank after the pump has pretty much gone dry? Has it drained for a while? If so then you pretty much have answered your question and your pickup in the fresh water tank isn't low enough to really drain the tank. This is the danger when using the tank method to winterize. When undrained, or pumped water left in the tank will dilute the antifreeze.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Too many Bobs

I was directing attention back to rseagle or 'Bauxite Bungalow' Bob. I feel he still has an issue from about 3 posts back where he asks for help from those with similar problems. I also think 22' CCD owners with experience accessing their water pump could help. Any ideas out there?

And I prefer to read Jack's last post as being directed at helping rseagle -- Jack always seems to have "been there, done that." Know I don't pass up many of his posts!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:45 AM   #125
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Here's what I know:
I had drained the tank of water before starting the winterizing. I even jacked the front up higher to allow water to flow to the outlet at the rear of the tank. The 4 1/2 gallons of anti-freeze represents almost 1/4 of my tank capacity. The inlet to the suction line is low enoungh for me to almost completely drain the tank of water on camping trips. The trailer is level. The spitting started immediately upon switching the pump on and opening the faucet. I believe that I should have gotten full flow as soon as the anti-freeze reached the pump. It didn't! I did last year with 3 1/2 gallons.

What I speculate: It apprears that the check valve or the pump is the problem.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I have read several pages of this thread but not all - hoping to find other tips on winterizing than "antifreeze" and pipes.

I know that taking out all the food is a really good idea - but what else do we really have to take out?

2 hours N/E of Toronto - so we get a nice cold winter. So it is a no brainer that anything that can freeze and damage is a given for warmer storage....However is it really necessary to take out all the cushions? and if they go - do the curtains have to come out too. Is there really that bad of a chance of getting mold if the trailer stays brrrrcold???

Any insight would be appreciated - from a similar climate. Thanks
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:45 AM   #127

Fenton , Missouri
We pull all food items out and liquids. I give the insides of the trailer a good cleaning. We leave in towels, dish cloths, sheets and blankets. I'll open the doors of the refrigerator and freezer to prevent any moisture buildup. If they don't stay open, I'll use a small dowel rod or curtain rod to keep the doors cracked open. I make sure the gas is turned off, activate the master disconnect and remove the batteries for storage at home. I'll cover the tires and make sure the trailer is level. That prevents any water from sneaking into areas where it could freeze and expand potentially causing future leaks. I close the shades curtains and skylights to keep light out of the inside of the trailer.

One last thought if you are storing your trailer on a concrete pad, try to place something under the tires, cardboard, newspaper, etc. The reason is that the lime compounds in concrete will leach away the compounds used to prevent the tire from UV and cracking. If you have had a vehicle parked on concrete for long periods of time, you will see the black spots where your tires sat. That's the leaching process going on.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-31-2005, 08:49 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Here's what I know:
I had drained the tank of water before starting the winterizing. I even jacked the front up higher to allow water to flow to the outlet at the rear of the tank. The 4 1/2 gallons of anti-freeze represents almost 1/4 of my tank capacity. The inlet to the suction line is low enoungh for me to almost completely drain the tank of water on camping trips. The trailer is level. The spitting started immediately upon switching the pump on and opening the faucet. I believe that I should have gotten full flow as soon as the anti-freeze reached the pump. It didn't! I did last year with 3 1/2 gallons.

What I speculate: It apprears that the check valve or the pump is the problem.
Just a thought ---a you sure you have the water heater bypassed correctly? Is it possable you could be filling the heater ?
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:32 AM   #129

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Just a thought ---a you sure you have the water heater bypassed correctly? Is it possable you could be filling the heater ?
Pieman
Wow, good thought. If you aren't sure about the positioning of the valves, open up that drain plug on the heater. If you get lots of pink stuff pouring out, you've got your answer!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-31-2005, 10:03 AM   #130
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
One last thought if you are storing your trailer on a concrete pad, try to place something under the tires, cardboard, newspaper, etc. The reason is that the lime compounds in concrete will leach away the compounds used to prevent the tire from UV and cracking. If you have had a vehicle parked on concrete for long periods of time, you will see the black spots where your tires sat. That's the leaching process going on.

Jack
Jack does this hold true for a patio slab??
Old 10-31-2005, 12:57 PM   #131

Fenton , Missouri
Well if it's like my patio slab, it's concrete. I learned this at a tire seminar that I went to at a local SOB dealer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Pieman
I went out to double-check. It's properly configured to isolate the water heater. No anti-freeze filling up there.

How can I check to see if the check valve is faulty? Other than what I've already done.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 10-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well if it's like my patio slab, it's concrete. I learned this at a tire seminar that I went to at a local SOB dealer.

Jack
Oh silly me what was I thinking - hmmm smooth as opposed to rough - but as you say concrete is concrete.

Guess I will pull her up and then back over some wood.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
winterizing, Heater bypassing, etc.... Easy!

Hi all-

Since this is my first experience with the Winterizing effort and routine, I have to say that is was actaully kinda fun. Got to play with hoses, compressors, low valves ( 3 actually!) and found it all to be fun.

Now of course, the weather was immaculate here in ALBQ so it adds a bit of pep in to your step, but all in all it went really well. No fittings broke, everything worked. I am out 3 Gallons of the RVfreeZe, but hey.

Now if I have busted lines in the Spring I am going to be pissed!!!!!!!

But today was fun and easy. I recommend that everyone try it.

My 2 cents!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #135
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
For winter I drain the tanks and blow the water lines out with compressed air. I pour RV antifreeaze in the drains and the waste tanks. Keep a electric oil radiator heater going all winter. It keeps the trailer above freezing. The trailer is parked under cover. I keep the battery charged and check the trailer often. Each year I have done this so it is ready to go next season.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #136
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Question: My RV is in winter storage with batteries pulled out for the winter. Will the interior lights work if I either hook up to my tow vehicle power plug or if I plug in the 110 power cord without the batteries in? Will I see sparks fly?

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:38 AM   #137
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hookedonclassic,

Your 34' Classic has a converter/charger. It will convert ac to dc without the battery hooked up. You should be able to operate you dc items plugged into shore power. It should also work with dc applied from your truck.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 02-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #138
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Hookedonclassic,

Your 34' Classic has a converter/charger. It will convert ac to dc without the battery hooked up. You should be able to operate you dc items plugged into shore power. It should also work with dc applied from your truck.
Thanks for the reply. How about the 1992 29'. Will that be the same?

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #139

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Hookedonclassic,

At one time Airstream recommended that you not plug into 110 without the batteries present. From what I understand, the reason was that without the battery(ies) to provide a load on the converter, the DC output would be higher than normal which could potentially cause an issue with 12 volt powered items in the trailer.

Unfortunately I don't know if this warning applied to modern trailers or just older ones so use caution.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #140
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Just think

Give it another four short weeks and we will all be un-winterizing our coaches

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com