Old 10-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

Question

Have 76 overlander. Had new water heater installed last may '03. winterized it last winter my self. It required 16 gallons of anti freeze, as you can tell, at that time I had never heard of bypass valve on water heater. Don't know if it has bypass valve or not.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcutter
Have 76 overlander. Had new water heater installed last may '03. winterized it last winter my self. It required 16 gallons of anti freeze, as you can tell, at that time I had never heard of bypass valve on water heater. Don't know if it has bypass valve or not.
Rockcutter, don't despair! A forum member who is an owner of your model trailer will be able to tell you where to look for the bypass. If none is fitted, any RV supplier will sell you the kit for about $15. The kit consists of two plastic 2-way valves and a few inches of plastic pipe. With a sharp knife (after draining the system!) you cut the flow and return pipes close to the heater, fit the valves to rejoin the pipes, and connect the supplied pipe between the side spigots on the valves. The valves may have arrows to indicate the flow direction.I would collect those 15 gallons and re-use them!
Good luck! Nick.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
I am a new owner of an Airstream TT. I have had large boats and other brands of TT. I have spent a great deal of time reading the forum articles and I am impressed with the warehouse of information on everything from floor replacement to winterizing.
I know many of you will think I'm blowing smoke rings. I agree with all the mechanical parts of the winterization, I have done all the draining to clear the water lines and the hot water tank but I have tried the RV antifreeze in a boat and I was kind of repulsed by the color and aroma. So now I use Cheap vodka. We have used this method on boats and travel trailers with success. A gallon or two of vodka through the systen and there is no problem knowing it's through the system, by the taste. Put a little in the drains and the holding tanks. When drained in the spring it is consumable or just discarded. We have tried both. It does not discolor the lines and leaves no residue

A Drive to Flordia may still be an option.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...nterizing.html
Old 10-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #89
Site Team

, Minnesota
Gee, Tin Hut said we could use Bourbon!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #90

Newbie needs winterizing advice

Hi all,

I'm brand new at this, but my Airstream is not. It's a '62 Bambi (used to be Stef Roberts', if you're familiar).

I live in Minnesota, and could use some very specific help in finding a hot water heater bypass, if there is one, and in understanding the process of winterizing. If I understand correctly what I've read , I should drain as much water from the freshwater tanks and lines as possible (I did this by running the water pump and opening the sink faucet), then blow the lines with compressed air (uh, should I just run a line from an air compressor into the freshwater tank?). Then I should bypass the water heater if I can find a bypass valve? Then I should get some antifreeze and either pour it down the drain, or pump it throughout the lines? Am I even close?

Thanks for your help -- and gentle patience. It's one thing to be nuts about Airstreams and another to be nuts AND ignorant!

--Robyn
Old 11-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Robyn, my post number 76 on this thread details the process, and thread 86 describes the bypass system for the water heater. It is a pipe between the inlet and outlet of the water heater, with an either/or valve at each junction. This saves you using expensive anti-freeze to fill the tank. Your trailer may or may not be fitted with one. Forty two is a lot of years for potential modifications, as well as being the Answer To The Universe. It would help us to help you if you could say which parts of those posts you don't understand, once you have followed post 76 in your head, step-by-step. We've all been there at some point, confused at the mass of information to absorb, but this is the place to ask for help from the great folks on this forum. Next year you'll be helping out new owners like a veteran! Nick
Old 11-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Just finished winterizing today. Used 2.5 gallons with water pump pulling from jugs.

I blew out lines last week with 50psi compressor. Opened my two drain lines, fresh water holding tank, & hot water tank. Got most of water in lines except pump and small amounts coming out of shower, sinks, & commode.

My trailer has a bypass valve installed. When I turn to bypass, it seems that pump should push last gallon very quickly & strongly to hot water outlets but, it doesn't.

Does anyone else have similar problem?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #93

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
So are you saying that when you engage the bypass, you get no antifreeze out of the hot water side? If so then I would believe that you have missed opening up a second valve. Most of the bypass fittings installed at the factory require you to turn 2 valves. One cuts off water entry into the hot water tank. The second valve opens up the bypass which sends water past the tank. If that second valve isn't in the right position, nothing will come out of the hot water outlets when the pump is sucking antifreeze from a bottle.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 AM   #94
Craftsman

I need some help here. I started to winterize the Sovereign for the first time sinceI've owned it. I bought 3 gals. of antifreeze, disconnected the line leading from the freshwater tank to the pump, inserted a plastic line and pumped the three gal into the pipes. The only thing is none of it would come out of the faucets. I turned the pump on let it run for awhile and got a little water sputtering out but none of the pink antifreeze. Went and bought 12 gals of antifreeze, poured 4 gals into the fresh water tank, turned on the pump, opened each faucet and got a little sputtering out but not flowing freely. Thought maybe there isn't enough in the fresh water tank, so I poured the rest in. The same thing. Some of it comes out of the faucets but not a free flow. It just kind of spits and sputters out. I read that the sputtering was a sign that there is air in the lines and to bleed the air but it doesn't say how to bleed the air. I did drain the fresh water tank before I put in the antifreeze . Seems to me with 15 gal of antifreeze somewhere in the lines and tank it should flow from the faucets. What am I doing wrong? Should the pump work when a faucet is opened without turning it on from the control panel?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Craftsman, do you have a bypass for the water heater? If you are not using a bypass, gallons of anti-freeze will be wasted in trying to fill this. You were correct in pumping from the jug of anti-freeze. Putting anti-freeze in the tank is unnecessary, wasteful, and the taste is difficult to remove, IMHO. If 110v AC is disconnected, the faucets do need to be manually switched on to 12v DC, at least in my trailer. I am just north of Baltimore, near Hereford on I83. If you're still stuck, let me know and I'll try to assist. Nick
Old 11-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #96
Craftsman

Nick , I may take you up on the help. I'm going to try blowing out the lines with an air compressor first and check and see if the water heater has a bypass. There is now 18 gallons of pink anti freeze somewhere in the Sovereign and it's not leaking out anywhere. If I can get it flowing from the faucets maybe I can recover some of it.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Craftsman, when you need help call me on 410 357 9070. I'm near Hereford for the next 2 weeks, then heading south. Nick.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:32 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
do I add toilet chemical

to the black water tank along with the antifreeze and NO water? We flushed it but I worry about sediment accumulating in the bottom. I don't know if the two combined are fine. And how much of each?

Thanks.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote