Old 12-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Peace River , Alberta
Winterizing Question from a new full-timer

Hello Everyone,
We are on week 5 of our simpler life. Put in 10000 km's already and absolutely loving it.
So, once we get back to Ontario just before Christmas I am planning on putting the AS into storage for 3-4 months before we take it out to Alberta.
The question I have is that the AS is our only home now. We are kinda full-timing it. 6-7 months in Alberta, 5-6 months in India. So, I am wondering about winterizing. I plan on having the typical stuff done, relumbing, but what about the cloths, bedding, books...etc....
Thanks for any input.
Kalidas

If anyone is interested in our blog you can follow our travels
A simpler life | A journey of learning to live with less of the superfluous and more of the infinite

Old 12-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I wonder about the same thing

The foam has to endure extreme temperatures, hot and cold. It will turn to powder after many years. I wonder if that is why

Old 12-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
We empty our Airstream, so I'm speaking from boating experience here...

If you are storing all of your belongings, your biggest issue will be mold and mildew. The temperature swings and snowmelt in the spring can cause your humidity to raise and lower, potentially causing condensation. If there is anything dirty or edible to mold -- like paper -- condensation can allow mold to grow surprisingly quickly.

Dehumidification and ventilation are key. It doesn't take much to keep the moisture away. I used to use a 100 watt light bulb in our boat, running 24/7. It was just enough to keep it a little warmer than ambient -- and seemed to dry it out.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We store our AS outside in Western PA and leave it there until we leave in January for FL. When in this early winter storage everything comes out except non eatable things such as coffee maker, silverware etc. All cloths, bedding and every item of food, even in cans comes out. We just don't want to tempt the fur critters wondering around - ie Mice and Rats.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My experience is also boating where I left most things aboard 12 months. Echo that mold and mildew are your enemies. From my experience, ventilation is not enough. Once I found a small ozone generator, I never had another problem. They do require 12 vdc or 120 vac so that may not be an option for you.

Larry
Old 12-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Our AS's have always, (since 1988), stayed loaded with everything
non-perishable, 24/7/365. No moldy stuff and all fabric & foam still intact.
Stays on the pad & is checked regularly throughout the year.

I guess thats rong, but it's worked for us with no dire consequences.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
It was just enough to keep it a little warmer than ambient -- and seemed to dry it out.
Here on the Gulf Coast where humidity is endemic year-round, the rule-of-thumb guideline for controlling condensation in engineering applications is to keep the air temperature at least 5°F above the dew point.

Dehumidifying the air also helps, of course, because that lowers the dew point without raising the temperature. You can either use an absorbent material like Damp-Rid tubs, or an electric dehumidifier. Problem with electric ones is that you have to empty them every so often, so if you're not going to be there, you're stuck with the absorbent material.

I have heard that a low-cost alternative to Damp-Rid is clean kitty litter, at least the clumping kind. But I haven't tried it for months-long storage, because I've never had my Airstream stored for more than three weeks.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
No one mentioned actually winterizing the plumbing! All tanks need to be drained out completely - then about 1 cup anti-freeze poured down each drain (sinks, shower). Of course all this needs to be rinsed thoroughly before using the unit again. Storing the rig to keep rodents out and winterizing are 2 different things. Those of us who live in an area where it freezes have to be very careful.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidas View Post
I plan on having the typical stuff done, re: plumbing, but what about the cloths, bedding, books...etc....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Winch View Post
No one mentioned actually winterizing the plumbing!
That's why. The OP already planned on having the typical stuff done, so we all assumed he knew what was typical and so we concentrated on the non-typical things.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
I don't know what your winter humidity is like in Ontario. If it will stay well below freezing, then humidity usually isn't a problem; your AS is a giant freezer. Certainly if you were storing it over winter in Alberta the humidity in winter would be very low, as it is in Eastern Montana where I used to live. Problems can come in spring when things melt and for awhile humidity can rise during the day, then condense on the inside of the AS at night when it drops in temperature.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Peace River , Alberta
Thank you everyone for your help.
Yes, I will be having the AS winterized before heading back north in a couple of weeks.
That said...does anyone have a RV service centre that they would recommend in around Padre Island or St.Joseph Peninsula parks? We are still not 100% on whrere we will be ending the travels before heading home.
Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
You take your AS to India ? I want to know more !
Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Peace River , Alberta
Oh how I wish we could bring her to India with us....no...she will be in storage for the winter...
Old 12-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
I leave my Airstream indoors over Minnesota winters. I have heavy duty plastic stacking storage lockers that I put all the towels and bed linens inside along with any paper goods, books, etc. I use a mattress protector and the only fabric in the trailer is the couch and curtains. Remove all soaps, cleaners, toiletries of course - and take out all food items including canned - and double check! Another poster's comments about a giant freezer should be heeded and can save a few headaches! Think exploded Forgotten cans. I use the storage lockers in the TV come Spring. I think what's worked best is a 110% cleaning before it goes to storage. Mold and humidity have not been a problem not have uninvited guests. Hope that trend continues!