Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Santa Ana , California
Winterizing in Southern California?

Hi everyone!
This isn't truely a question about "freezing" here in So. Cal.!
Now that we won't be using our new trailer until mid February I can't find any information as to whether to leave the fresh water tank full or empty. Temperatures can reach mid 70's during the day, and I'm worried about algae. Does any one have suggestions for keeping tank fresh between trips?

Thanks for all your help, we've learned a lot from all the posts!
Old 11-13-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Just one person's approach

I always drain the fresh water tank between trips AND sanitize it according to the "book" before filling it for the trip. We take a couple of gallons of fresh water for coffee and drinking until the chlorine dissipates.

Hope this helps a little,

dave
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobryant
Hi everyone!
This isn't truely a question about "freezing" here in So. Cal.!
Now that we won't be using our new trailer until mid February I can't find any information as to whether to leave the fresh water tank full or empty. Temperatures can reach mid 70's during the day, and I'm worried about algae. Does any one have suggestions for keeping tank fresh between trips?

Thanks for all your help, we've learned a lot from all the posts!
I had a 1971 Trade Wind in storage at the El Toro Marine Base for a few years, and never winterized. It just does not get cold enough for it to become necessary. You can simply drain the fresh tank if it is going to sit for a few month, and not worry about the water lines. We actually kept about a quarter tank of water, so we could periodically go to the trailer and perform cleaning duties etc and have some water available.
Water preservation tablets are available also, I just don't know where.
If between trips is less than a month or so, then the clorine in the water prevents nasties from growing. Especially since it is enclosed and does nto see UV radiation or lots of oxygen.
We only used the water from the storage tank for washing and flushing, since we always brough a few gallons of drinking water for consumption.
You should sanitize your fresh water system at least once a year. Here is how: http://www.airstream.com/product_lin.../faq.html#tank
Enjoy your new Bambi!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Santa Ana , California
Thanks for the info! Plan on leaving water for utility purposed, and we'll drain, flush, and fill before next trip.

P.S. Uwe, sind Sie Deutscher by chance?

Doug and Margit Bryant (geb. Steigmiller)
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
keep tanks full between tows

We keep tanks and AS heated rather than winterize. Winters in this part of NC just not very severe and we are watching AS interior temperature closely from in the house. I read in either AS manual or elsewhere to maintain tanks full, rather than empty, when sitting. This avoids tank surfaces exposed to air. We are on very good city water (just ask the city, eh?) and know we are at approx 2ppm Chlorine at the tap. This provides low level protection against algae, provided the water is refreshed periodically. We drain the tank and refill partly before towing, then refill again upon return home. Only seventeen months into this, pull it at least monthly so getting good turnover on the water. Way too early to tell if problems, I guess.
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hi Doug and Margit:

Sherry and I (Robert) will be down in San Elijo during Christmas from the 26th thru the 30th. San Elijo is just south of Carlsbad where you will be staying in Feb (saw your earlier post). We will be in 153 or 155, forgot which one, but to the right if you enter the campground. Anyway, if you happen to be traveling toward San Diego (or anyone else) and want to stop in and say hi, we will be there.

We just took delivery on a new 28 Safari SE last week
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote