Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2004, 05:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
Winterizing in N. FL ?

My burning question is; how far south is far enough not to have to winterize?

In mid February I've been bringing my trailer as far north as San Antonio FL without winterizing. Wondering if I could get away with someplace on the panhandle?

The reasoning is, when I start our summer season (April 1) I'd like to be positioned for a quick jumpoff to the southwest.
stephen.s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

NW Florida winterizing

It all depends.... We live near Pensacola in the western Florida Panhandle. It can get cold enough to freeze pipes here. The record low is 4 degrees that I remember. So I wouldn't leave a trailer unprotected during the winter if I couldn't get to it during the day before the anticipated freeze to winterize.

We have had mild winters lately with only a few days below freezing in the morning.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Soarhead, I had a frozen and burst pipe near Gainsville, North Central Florida, about 3 winters ago. The temperature goes down to about 27 degrees for a few nights most winters. Nick
Old 11-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
N.Florida

Soarhead,
If you are capable of plugging up somewhere, and have the ability to eave the furnace turned to 40 degrees or so, you could easily get by without winterizing, and would not use much LP either since it would be on temp demand. Yes, there have been a few occasions of cold there, but the majority of the time, temps inside your Airstream would be 60 or above in the daytime, and would only rarely go below freezing.
Winterizing is such an easy task, after you really learn what to do, I would think it would be worth the doubt factor to just do that.
jerry
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Winterizing is such an easy task, after you really learn what to do, I would think it would be worth the doubt factor to just do that.
jerry

Winterizing takes less than an hour once you find all the valves and do it once or twice. How long would it take to replace just one frozen pipe?

If you use a small air compressor and one of the adaptors that you can get at Wally World to blow out the lines and just put antifreeze in the traps, you would be ready to go as soon as you hook the water back up. You're going to have to sterilize your fresh water tank anyway unless you enjoy trenchmouth.

It used to get down to freezing in Ft. Lauderdale when I lived there, I wouldn't take the chance.

Neal

(Hi, Jerry)
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello Neal

Has your email changed?

On the winterizing, do not forget, while the compressor is running, activate the flush mechanism onour toilet several times, and the spray head on the cleaning hose for the toilet. These are two places that freeze quickest, and are normally forgotten!
jerry
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote