Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
troutbum

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Winterizing in Arizona

When " winterizing" in an area where freezing temperatures are not an issue ( Phoenix AZ, for example), is it better to drain the potable water and hot water tanks or leave water in them?

Thanks
sldflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
If you're using the water (in both instances) frequently, I wouldn't see the need to drain them.

But if they set for a month or so, I would.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
troutbum

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
When I know I won't be using the Airstream for more than a month, I drain both the fresh-water holding tank and the H2O heater. Here's why.
Water from a municipal source may be chlorinated when it goes in, but chlorine dissipates over time and depending on your water source, some troublesome things can start to happen.
In the H2O heater especially, there is a tendency for some organism to take over producing a strong hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg) smell. Once it takes over, it is very difficult to kill it and get the hot water smelling fresh again. It's much easier to drain the tank.
In the fresh-water holding tank, I am concerned about the odorless, tasteless bacteria that might develop.
When I drain the fresh-water tank, I add 2-3 ounces of sodium hypochlorite (household bleach, unscented) and a couple gallons of water to cover the bottom of the tank.
If you are someone who can't stand chlorine, and only fills your tanks with non-treated water, it's probably even more important to drain.
As a footnote, we just returned to our winter home in Mesa, AZ. I forgot to drain the H2O heater when I summerized last April. The hot water reeked of hydrogen sulfide. Very unpleasant, and it took hours to drain and rinse.
Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We live in Phoenix, AZ; and we don't winterize at all. Freshwater tank is always full, including hot water heater; and gray and black water tanks are empty when our Airstream is parked alongside our house. No water issues, but we use bottled water for drinking and cooking; and only use freshwater tank for dishwashing, bathing and flushing.

We camp frequently in the winter, and our Bambi is always ready to go. We've been doing this since 2005 when our Bambi was purchased new.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
troutbum

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
It depends...

Down in the valley (Phoenix, Tempe, Chandler, etc...), We have never winterized. Fall & winter is the camping season here. If I lived or stored the trailer at higher elevations (Flagstaff, Show Low, etc...) where they have real winter I would go for the whole winterize process.
-KL