Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2003, 07:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Winterizing in Alberta

Hi I am a new owner of a 71 safari 23foot. It came without manuals and I am new to owning an RV of any sort. I need to know how to winterize my rig for the winter. Our winters here are very cold -40 C and they are dry. Winterizing tips for my climate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Randy
altastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
shame...shame..shame...

hello randy,
i think its absolutely despicable that you didnt get a manual. ..as for winterizing...drain your water heater..install a bypass..you can get at camping world or rv supply...drain tanks open faucets...also a plug you can get to mount on outside supply..has hole in it to which you can inject compressed air to blow out lines...some people then pump rv anti freeze in lines... i guess you would especially need it and add anti freeze to drains..if you have a water filter you could pull that also.....if i missed something im shure some one else will add on to the thread....or.... you could become a snow bird and in which case this would all become irelevent ....good luck..
norby
p.s.you can probably get a manual search the airstream page for a link...

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The best winterizing method is to hook it up and take it to Florida till it warms back up.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Hey Alberta, We have friends in vegreville who follow this thought for winterizing.
They open all the drains, hotwater heater too. If the city hookup is low and can come apart (hose connector) take it off.

Then hookup A/S to tow car with all the inside faucets open take the unit for a drive. Maybe go and put air in the tires, or to a car wash and give it one last washing.

All the bouncing gets all the water out of the lines and drains. Then, they use an air hose and blow the lines out.( over kill) Pour a bit of RV antifreeze in the traps, remove the battery or plug the trailer in.

This way of doing things, and they have never had a broken pipe.

Recently installed the hotwater by-pass, makes things a bit easier.
We will do this with our Globetrotter next month after our last trip. Only we will drive 250 miles with every drain open on our way back home.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Pour some RV antifreeze in the holding tanks, all drains and when you place some in the fresh water tank, pump it through the fresh water lines.....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Talking Winterized, Dude!

What we do here to winterize is change our sunscreen from SPF 30 to SPF 15.

-40 C ???????? I've only seen that in journals about cold fusion.
BRRRRRRRR! Come visit So Cal!
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I also live in alberta. I have a 1977 airstream motorhome. I have drain valves for the taps and water tank. also drain values for the water heater. I open them all. I then blow air though the facets and the and the drain on the outside of the water heater. I also put a T fitting with a cap on it in the line between the toilet and the shut off value for the bathroom sink. The line didn't drain all the way two years ago and broke the valve in the toilet. Last year no problems. I haven't tried antifreeze for motorhomes I heard i doesn't taste very good and hard to get out
Old 09-18-2003, 06:14 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not hard to remove if done properly. Here in the Chicago area, we too get a fair amount of severe cold.

RV antifreeze when placed in all the plumbing systems should be removed by draining the systems, flushing all out really good with water and to ensure it's not going to show taste in the water. Do the bleach in the fresh water tank thing and pump it into the lines if the taste still appears. Let it sit for a long while, re-flush a few times with plain water and you have successfully de-winterized your RV. Bad taste gone.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

just to add to what I said. If you use antifreeze DO NOT use the antifreeze you would put in your car radiator or windsheild washers. Use antifreeze for RV water systems. It has froze here already and mine seems fine.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
OK guys, I get it. Drain out all the water. But, I want to live in the AS in NW Wisconsin, not store it. Those are the tips that I seek. Thanks again.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #11
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Quick Question

I have drained my tanks bypassed the hot water heater and have the RV antifreeze ready to go in the lines. Do I really have to blow out the pipes and if so what kind of a compressor will do it?
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Brouck, a standby on the Forum for experience in living winter-style, for better or worse, in an Airstream can be found by doing a search for a thread by "Ruby Slipper." This was a discussion led by a couple who spent the winter a couple of years ago in Missouri where, yes, it can be pretty darned cold!Try finding this and reading through the thread. It brings up several issues you'll want to consider. Just a suggestion.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's another link to 'RubySlipper's Tale' A pretty entertaining read around post #45 on ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 05:17 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks y'all. I'll try and study up this weekend. I may be nuts even considering this. It gets PFC here in Jan and Feb.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote