Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2003, 12:11 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Winterizing BooBoo

Ok - we were re-winterizing (1st time was done by a dealer) our 78 Minuet. Opened valves and drained. Didn't tilt trailer. Started the hose in the anti-freeze bit, but stopped realizing that water heater would fill with anti-freeze. Called dealer, who said "disconnect hot/cold hoses from water heater to bypass HWH(we don't have bypass valve yet. When we disconnected a hose from WH, water spuied out all over inside of area around WH and soaked plywood. Husband got hose closed off so water isn't coming out, but not sure what to do now. I say we should tilt trailer to see about more water draining from HWH. How does one get water out of HWH if drains have been opened and water pump has been used, but still water in HWH? Help!!!! Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:38 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Leigh, I'm not sure if you are concerned about the fact that anti-freeze is in the hotwater heater, but that is really not a problem. As long as you have drained your hot water heater via the drain plug, any residule water or antifreeze will not harm the heater. Just be sure to flush the heater well by prior to using the heater.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Jack - No, not so worried about water/antifreeze in HWH, more worried about the temp. fix we had on disconnected hose and what we were going to do to eliminate water coming out of hose into trailer again when we took off plug. Price ran to hardware store and got some flex hose and did something to stop water (I will have to ask for clarification later) so guess we fixed the problem. Now, I think our next step is to attach a bypass or shutoff valve for next time we try the winterizing procedure. Lots to learn!! Leigh

PS I wanted clarification on one other issue re: winterizing. I read somewhere here that the water system in the AS is safe down to about 20 degrees without winterizing. Does anyone have experience with that? True? Since we just went on our 1st trip and returning, felt we needed to re-winterize right away. (the temp here got to 29 degrees last night with sprinkle of snow) I would really like a real strong YES answer to that before trusting that it will be ok. We might in the future have this same situation where we go camping when not all sureity of freezing is gone (being that we are in COLO. I guess that might not be until July some years!), but would rest easier with an idea of how low is ok. Thanks
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Valid points

Leigh
The points concerning just low you can go, temp wise, referrs to the several events;
1) Assums that you're living in it, using the furance to heat the unit's living space. The hot air from the furnace pass thru ducted area beneath the floor and, in the process heats those critial area. (like the holding tanks, etc) Using a portalble heater isn't the same thing. The trick is the hot air traveling thru the duct system.
2)You're using the water for daily requirements, thus moving it thru the systems, much like you do at home. It would take a really hard, extended freeze to get to the water in the pipes.
Now abt the water heater, if you want to drain it. Do like was mention before, open the drain valve on the outside and let it drain. If you can attach a air source to the city water input, you can then blow it out completely. (you can do this till you get the bypass install)
As there have been numerous covers on this subject, you might want to go and reread those threads.
Since you are puting it up for extend period of time between use, you're thinking is correct to winterize it between outings.
good luck to both of you.
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 07:14 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by COArgosy78
PS I wanted clarification on one other issue re: winterizing. I read somewhere here that the water system in the AS is safe down to about 20 degrees without winterizing. Does anyone have experience with that? True? ok. Thanks
I assuming that you had your furnace on when it got below freezing. If so you are ok. One of the properties of water is that it expands as it freezes. If I remember my science classes from long ago, the expansion properties of frozen water are higher at temperatures just below freezing (high 20's). The greatest damage to water lines occurs during temperatures in the 20's not as you dip below that level.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote