Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #21
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I keep my batteries connected all winter (in New England) and let the solar take care of it.

I do have the added step of cleaning off the panels after snowfall, so I keep a telescoping pole with a "snow Joe" type of foam snow rake stored under the trailer.

I feel comfortable waiting a few days after snow fall to wait and clear off the panels, but I also feel like this sort of occasional visitation to the trailer in its (not at my home) storage location gives me peace of mind.

Also, sometimes after I clear off the panels, I just sit inside the trailer and imagine I'm on the road. It keeps my creeping sense of existential dread at bay.

YMMV. I hope that helps!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
. . .
. . . sometimes after I clear off the panels, I just sit inside the trailer and imagine I'm on the road.
. . .

Just what I am doing this morning, while waiting for a repair to the tow vehicle.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
If solar goes down and batteries drain, they won't be happy in the freezing weather.
6 mo solar eclipse?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Also, sometimes after I clear off the panels, I just sit inside the trailer and imagine I'm on the road. It keeps my creeping sense of existential dread at bay.

YMMV. I hope that helps!

I guess this may be a common happening. Whenever I go to the storage lot to check on Dora and do some maintenance I too will sit and have a hot or cold beverage, turn on the radio and just relax, enjoying the solitude. If it's a Saturday I just may listen to Car Talk and waster a perfectly good hour.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote