Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mannford , Oklahoma
Winterizing Alde boiler 2018 Classic

I picked up my new Classic from the dealer already winterized. The
Alde boiler that provides heat-hot water has a bewildering number of
valves, all of which need to be in the correct position for winterizing. The
owners manuals from Alde and Airstream contain little information on
how to do this. It's easy to imagine not doing something correct with this
all new technology (to me) and messing up a very expensive piece of equipment.

I contacted Alde directly and their service folks passed along these 2 pictures showing correct winter positions and what these valves do.

In addition, I am including a couple of paragraphs of explanation from Alde
on why the valves are positioned so.

FROM ALDE:
We say our system is winterized when you drain the boiler of fresh water. That is done by using both the yellow valves you have shown in your pictures. After that you could use a little bit of compressed air and blow out the lines to make sure there is no water left in them to prevent any lines from bursting. You would then shut the valves to bypass our boiler to prevent any of the antifreeze fluid from going into our boiler, after that our system is considered winterized and you can use it like normal to create cabin heat. You can put the antifreeze in the boiler you will just have to flush the boiler when you want to use the hot water side again

I labeled the valves shown in your pictures. The yellow valves are what we call Safety/Drain valves, their main purpose is to drain the system. They also are rated at only 50 psi, this is to prevent any damage to the boiler. All the black valves are just shutoff valves, but they do each have their own purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alde pic of winterized.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	303063   Click image for larger version

Name:	alde pic of winterized-2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	303064  

geraldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Thanks gor posting this. The second picture solved what was confounding me—how to turn off supply of water to the boiler. Since those valves are located on the side and hard to see, i could not locate the before. Will have a closer look now i know where to look!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:09 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Is there an order in which these valves should be reversed when dewinterizing the water system? Friday is the first night in the trailer.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The most sure way of winterizing one of these is to simply leave everything as if you were using it, connect a hose to the inlet side of the water pump, and pump antifreeze through the system. It will take roughly 4 gallons, instead of 2.5, but you have displaced the water, which could freeze and damage the system if you don't get the water out. That $8 of antifreeze is a lot less expensive than blowing and draining, and hoping you got all the water out. One of our customers winterized by blowing out lines and draining, and they now have a hefty repair bill from the water they didn't get out freezing and damaging the plumbing.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
Winterizing alde system in 33 ft classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldsmith View Post

I contacted Alde directly and their service folks passed along these 2 pictures showing correct winter positions and what these valves do.

FROM ALDE:
We say our system is winterized when you drain the boiler of fresh water. That is done by using both the yellow valves you have shown in your pictures. After that you could use a little bit of compressed air and blow out the lines to make sure there is no water left in them to prevent any lines from bursting. You would then shut the valves to bypass our boiler to prevent any of the antifreeze fluid from going into our boiler, after that our system is considered winterized and you can use it like normal to create cabin heat. You can put the antifreeze in the boiler you will just have to flush the boiler when you want to use the hot water side again

I labeled the valves shown in your pictures. The yellow valves are what we call Safety/Drain valves, their main purpose is to drain the system. They also are rated at only 50 psi, this is to prevent any damage to the boiler. All the black valves are just shutoff valves, but they do each have their own purpose.
Im still puzzled with the sequence and valve positions when winterizing.
If I’m correct, one opens both yellow valves and push air through system ( 30 psi is safe). But if one wants to put antifreeze through all water lines but not through hot water boiler, how do you bypass the system? Which valves to turn in what position?
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
Winterizing alde system

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldsmith View Post

FROM ALDE:

I’m still confused by the valves.
One drains system by opening both yellow valves, right?
When pushing air through system, should these valves stay open? Any other valves that need to be turned?
If one then wants to put antifreeze through water lines and want to bypass hot water tank, which valves need to be turned?
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Can You Run De-Winterizing By Me Again - Please

These photos are from my 2019 30' Classic Alde System.
The Airstream tech had me photograph the valves in the winterized position after the winterization took place. This will be my first de-winterizing. I remember that I have to flush out the cold water line & water pump before I switch the valves, and then do the hot line. I know I have to flip valves in opposite positions, but being new to all this I forgot what valves to flip. I numbered the valves so even I could understand the replies. Please let me know what valves have to be flipped. I cannot find the valves purposes in the manual. I read some of the above replies, but I just want to make sure and and I do not want to make any mistakes, or drink some flavored anit-freeze or cause my hot water heater to act like a turbo jet. Thanks for your assistance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-Classic Alde-1.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	367755   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-Classic Alde-2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	367756  

Name:	2019-Classic Alde-3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	367757  
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mannford , Oklahoma
Winterizing alde system

I'll tell you how I winterize my mdl 3010. It works for me the last 2 winters. Please refer to the pics I sent with my original post and the tags
that Alde posted on them. I will refer to the valve numbers you have on your picture.

When winterizing:
1. I open valves 2 and the other yellow valve to the left of valve 5. This drains the water in the boiler.

2. With the yellow valves open (perpendicular to the line) I blow 40 lbs of air thru the lines to clear any droplets.

3. Close the yellow valves.

4. Turn these valves perpendicular to the line: #1 #4 #5
5. Turn this valve parallel to the line: #3
6. Finally, run anti freeze thru the water pump as usual.

To set up for warm weather, simply reverse steps 4 & 5.

I am also attaching 2 pics sent from Alde showing correct valves
positions for winterizing mode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alde-a.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	367894   Click image for larger version

Name:	alde-b.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	367895  

geraldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

2020 30' Classic
Stratford , Connecticut
De-winterizing Alde Hot Water Boiler-2020 Classic 30

Thank you for this very helpful post! The setup on the 2020 Classic 30 is similar, but slightly different. See the attached photos which show the valves on the 2020 Classic 30 in the de-winterized/operational mode. To access all of the required valves, you need to pop off both the front and side panels on the right-hand dinette seat. Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AFA7A41E-8601-4316-A9F7-DD09A7356DB2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	368064   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9164224-F814-4A15-B138-E7720C933441.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	368065  

Starlifter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:06 AM   #10

2024 30' Classic
Buford , Georgia
Alde System 2024 Airstream Classic 30"

We have just taken delivery of our 30" Classic and need some clarification on winterizing and un-winterizing with an Alde system. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions for a 2024 Classic or can provide a contact phone number for Alde?
ChloeMae17 is offline   Reply With Quote