Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #1

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Unhappy Winterizing Airstream - Water Pump Location & Access

We just purchased a new Tommy Bahama 27'. We have been camping in pop-ups, tents and trailers for 40 years so we are not new to RVs, just Airstreams. In my previous trailer, a 27' Starcraft Alumastar Bunkhouse, the water pump was located under the bed and had a extra piece of hose that could be used to suck in antifreeze by simply rotating a 3 way valve that was in place. Reading the owner's manual that came with my Airstream it appears they do not provide such a system, but rather state the water hose needs to be removed from the pump and replaced with a short section to suck in the antifreeze. This seems primitive to me, especially in a unit that costs much-much more than the Starcraft I referred to.

I intend to add the extra length of tubing and a valve prior to winterizing this Fall, presuming I can find the pump! If anyone knows where it is located, and how to access it in this model, please let me know. The dealer told me the wardrobe close floor was hinged and the pump was under that. In fact the wardrobe floor is screwed down, plus the wardrobe door hinges will be in the way. I find it hard to believe Airstream would hide the pump in a location so difficult to access. If anyone knows better, please respond. Thank you.

BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Airstream doesn't supply the winterizing valve for a couple of reasons: 1. Not everyone who buys an Airstream lives a climate that needs to winterize, 2. Most people (including dealers) winterize by using compressed air.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum!

As you suggest, the pump could be hidden anywhere, and also be difficult to access. [might as well lower expectations about logic and ease here ] If a fellow TB owner does not reply, you might consider also posting in the TB sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f544/

These "2019 27' pump location" search results may help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019...=airforums.com

The first thread in those search results has this quote in a post -- click on orange arrow to go there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Our water pump is accessed from the panel under the wardrobe. It is hinged on the left side. Open the wardrobe door. Put a screw driver in the top of the lower panel. It should pop open easily.
. . .
What is your floor plan and where are the beds, galley and bathroom located? Other models of the same length may have the pump in the same location, if their floor plan is the same as yours.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Our pump is under the closet. There is a panel that pulls open on hinges near where the CO monitor is located. This is not where the bottom of the closet is located but on the lower front of the closet facing the hall.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Since you have a strainer on the front of the pump that needs to be removed / emptied / cleaned as part of the process, simply having the hose does not get you the whole way to "done". You still have to get in there and fiddle around.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I cut a round 10" hole in my closet floor over the water pump and connections an installed a marine "deck plate." Do not tighten the mounting screws too tight or the plate will not screw in and out easily. I showed this mod to Jim Parrot at Airstreams and he was impressed with the idea. Maybe they will adapt it.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
As you can see, I don't have a 27' but I'll bet it's where rperrym suggested. That is where it is on my 25'.

I mounted the pump on a piece of plywood and screwed that to the floor with two screws where they can be seen; near the "front" edge of the plywood. I also installed a European-style barrier strip to connect the pump wires to power. I carry a spare pump. I could change it in about 5 minutes. If you carry a spare "customize" the wires (longer or shorter) to the correct length.

I'm hoping all this insures a long and trouble-free life for the pump--so far so good. The original failed under warranty.

I think you will find a lot of things Airstream should improve on for what these things cost.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnGayl View Post
. . .
If anyone knows where it is located, and how to access it in this model, please let me know.
. . .
Were you able to locate the pump?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We just picked up our 2019 FC 27.

Our last AS did not have the tubing, but our new one does. Dealer said it was added on the 2019 models, so may be on yours also.

Pump is under the wardrobe behind the short cabinet door above the floor. Left side if I recall. It's on a hidden hinge.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I have a 28’ and mine is under the stove. But I’m taking my unit in this June for it’s 2 year check up and a few warranty repairs (nothing serious). I am going to have them put in a bypass. Yes I can blow out the system, BUT I will still have water in that pump that will freeze. It has to be drained out. So running anti freeze through the pump is a necessity or a drain needs to be added to make it easier to drain, because right now it is a PITA.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On a 2017 30' Classic the pump is back under the fridge.

Pump location and use of the hose kit was part of the dealer pre-flight process.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote