Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
hello folks,had alittle problem on my first trip out this year due to my pump having a crack in it.the service tech said that it looked like i did not winterize it correctly-ouch.this year my last camping trip was down in assateauge md which is about 200 miles south of where i live.before i headed home i opened the low point drains on the trailer,and as i towed her home i drained all the water from the system including the hot water heater.since i will be taking a trip during thansgiving going to fla,i asked my wife to assist with the line blowout because i dont want to take a chance with a cold snap up north here before we leave in november.when i opened the hot water heater nothing came out because it apparantly drained on the ride back from md.i thought i still better blow the lines out but all the water that i was able to get out was apparantly hung up at the city water connection.wife told me i was able to blow out about8 oz throughout the whole system.next i attached my hose to the inlet side of the pump and put some antifreeze thru the pump-(this is apparantly where i fouled up last yr)after thangsgiving and on my 1000 mile tow back from fla,i will repeat this same procedure and hopefully have better results than my first trip out to lake george at the beginning of last season.of course the other thing that i learned from that experience,is to make sure all systems are go before i leave the driveway on the first journey.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
quickie job

Hubby did a "quickie winterization" today for an upcoming cold snap in our area this week. We just blew all the water from the pipes, drained the water heater tank, and poured some anti-freeze down the drains.

Cold temps (30's) for MTW, and we'll be back in our AS on Saturday. Hence, the quickie job.

I had to laugh... We had the air compressor on when he drained the water heater. Hubby had wet pants when it was all said and done.

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
So far, I have done the blow out on mine each winter before the cold weather sets in and that has been sufficient. We use our Airstream for monthly camping trips every month except November and February (and may use it this Nov.) so a full blown, pardon the pun, winterization is a lot of work each month. Fortunately, it rarely gets below the 20's here in the south Metro-Atlanta area and I usually keep the furnace on 50 degrees so that seems to be sufficient. I always run the pump with the compressor on to get water out of it as best I can and drain the tanks and water lines including the hot water lines and hot water tank.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #24
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
For nine years, now, I drain the lines, drain and bypass the water tank, blow out the lines with compressed air and put a small amount of rv antifreeze down each drain. That's all AS Customer Service said they do in Ohio and my trailers have survived 9 Wyoming winters with no problems.
Hurray, someone else on the right track. I drain all the lines, hook up my compressor to the city intake and one by one blow out all lines. I close off the HW and darin it and leave the plug open along with all the drip valves under the AS. Once each line has been blown clear (don't forget shower hose and toilet hose) I remove my internal water filter and drain that and leave unconnected. Make sure you pour antifreeze into ALL drains. Since we camp up to and including Thanksgiving we leave an electric heater in the AS set at 55. I have never used antifreeze in my lines since we never know when we will be on the road. Since we have heated tanks we tent to camp whenever we can and if the roads are clear.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Despite the naysayers on this forum, I have winterized our motorhome for almost ten years with VODKA! That's right, VODKA. I know, it'll dry out the connections, and all those dire warnings. Never have we had a problem.

We simply purchase the cheapest vodka we can find. Four or five fifths will do it. We disconnect the line going to the water pump from the water tank and suck all the lines full until it runs out each faucet. Of course I run a bypass in the water heater. That would take way too much to fill that. I then pour regular RV antifreeze in all the traps and drain the tanks.

Vodka is tasteless. Vodka has never frozen up here in Minnesoooota. Vodka sanitizes the lines. You can have one big party in the Spring. We have never had a broken line from freezing.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #26
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
hello folks,had alittle problem on my first trip out this year due to my pump having a crack in it.the service tech said that it looked like i did not winterize it correctly-ouch.
That's the problem with just blowing the lines out. The pump doesn't clear; neither does the screen trap or some other nooks and crannies. Pumping the pink stuff through the system gets all those little places that you otherwise have to disassemble to get properly winterized. Pumping the pink stuff takes about 15mins... I did it last night to both our Born Free moho and our Bigfoot. It's easy and quick to do, doesn't require a compressor, and gets everywhere it needs to be.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
That's the problem with just blowing the lines out. The pump doesn't clear;
Per the directions in the Safari manual, disconnect the lines to the pump and run it a few seconds to get the 1/2 cup of water out.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Any guidance on how much to do to a Overlander stored in Reno? I need to pass details to a friend to help get mine winterised.

Most water was drained out a couple of months ago, and flushed out the grey water tank.

Thanks

Yomster
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #29
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Per the directions in the Safari manual, disconnect the lines to the pump and run it a few seconds to get the 1/2 cup of water out.

WOW, someone else who reads the book! It doesn't have all the answers but sure give the basics.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
For nine years, now, I drain the lines, drain and bypass the water tank, blow out the lines with compressed air and put a small amount of rv antifreeze down each drain. That's all AS Customer Service said they do in Ohio and my trailers have survived 9 Wyoming winters with no problems.
Ditto in Buffalo

My DW has a real aversion to anything toxic.

I have never introduced anti-freeze to anything other than the traps.
I have an air chuck that will fasten directly to the blo-out fitting, allowing me too alternately open and close all taps while raising and lowering the trailer, and cycling the water pump. (approx 10min@50psi) I have disconnected the pump after this procedure and less than a tablespoon of water came out, don't know if it has ever frozen in the pump, but Iv'e never had a failure. Leave all faucets and drains open, shower head open and on the tub floor.
Keep the critters out of the tanks with pieces of Scotch-Brite rubber-banded over the drains.

Been Stream'n 22yrs. here in Bflo. with never so much as a squirt.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #31
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ditto in Buffalo

My DW has a real aversion to anything toxic.

Been Stream'n 22yrs. here in Bflo. with never so much as a squirt.
RV antifreeze is non-toxic. You can drink the stuff. You probably won't like it, but it won't hurt you.

Here's the link to the PEAK RV/Marine antifreeze MSDS.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down Big Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
RV antifreeze is non-toxic. You can drink the stuff. You probably won't like it, but it won't hurt you.

Here's the link to the PEAK RV/Marine antifreeze MSDS.

Roger
Yes but it's PINK and it tastes terrible, I have given up trying.

And she's not happy, til I'm not happy.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
That sounds great. But what special attention do you give the water pump?
Thanks
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question If your ask'n me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
That sounds great. But what special attention do you give the water pump?
Thanks
Bob
Bob,
When we took delivery it had a 1/2 tank of freshwater. It sat on the Dealer lot 4mos. Had to flush out system and prime the pump. No fun. Disconnected lines and pumped bleach solution thru. After blowing out (45psi) the lines only about an ounce came out. From then on I just, tilt and drain with everything open. Drain water heater, Open pressure relief valve,blow out tank, leave open with a green scrubby wrapped around drain. Pour the pink stuff in all the traps, and leave all taps open. Thats about it.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Bit the bullet today, took a half day off from work and winterized. Got it done and was pouring antifreeze into the drains and then the lightning bolt hit me....forgot to winterize the kitchen sink sprayer and the toilet spray. Reconnected the antifreeze hose to the pump and pumped out the water that was present in these two hoses.....glad I didn't forget. I've been winterizing for almost 30 years but the Classic is my first trailer with sink and toilet sprays. This is my 4th winterizing of this trailer. Still hard to remember these two important pieces....don't you forget.

Also if you have an outside outlet, don't forget to winterize that!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
when winterizing. my 1989 31 has the water pump then the regulator. I cannot get water back thru the city water hook up???. My 71 I just turn on the pump the open the outside valve and it feeds back. Not so on my 89. Is this normal? how do you guys do it.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The original question was about a 1974, so the answers may be different. For our water heater (read the owner's manual) there's always up to 2 gallons of water in it and that's ok. They recommend flushing it out because it won't corrode as soon. You'll never get it all out unless you turn the trailer upside down. On the bypass on ours, there a 4th valve which drains some water out of the water lines and down to the ground. This is in addition to the plug on the water heater. If you have the kitchen sink water filter, remove it so you don't get any antifreeze in it. Don't leave it in the trailer as there will be water in it and it's not easy to get it all out.

Some Airstreams have the water pump in an inaccessible place, so I had ours moved and turned around so I could get to the filter to clean it. There are bypass kits for the water heater and that makes it easy to pump antifreeze through the pump and into the lines. It takes a lot of antifreeze to fill the lines.

I blew out the lines first after opening all the drains—fresh water tank, the two for the water lines and the water heater. Then when nothing comes out of one, close it and check the next. Make sure if you have an outside shower to disconnect it and blow out the pipe there. Disconnect the shower head and let the flexible pipe down to the drain and make sure it empties. Put some antifreeze in all the tanks and in the toilet to keep the seals lubricated.

I don't know how antifreeze tastes because last spring we flushed out everything. We used a mild solution of Clorox and run it through the system, both through the fresh water tank and the city water connection. Flush twice with it, then flush some more with clear water, then flush again. Leave the grey water drain open and let it run out on the ground—it's clean and nontoxic. With or without antifreeze in the lines, I want to thoroughly clean out the system because any bacteria that may be there will multiply over time and could be really nasty by Spring.

I forget to check the sprayer hose (thanks Jack) on the sink—better do that tomorrow. I don't think I did it last year and got away with it.

It takes longer in the Spring to flush out the system than it takes to winterize it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
What advice would you give to an Airstream stored in Reno, and is there anyone who could help winterize a '68 Overlander? I was hoping to be back in the US but work dictates I remain in the UK.

Thanks

Y
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote