Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimpy View Post
While browsing through winterizing tips I notice many people simply drain and bypass the water heater. Is draining sufficient enough and is there any reason why you should not have antifreeze in the water heater? Thanks to all replies.
bimpy....
I just wanted to follow up on the winterization post. I winterized my trailer 2 days ago and drained the water heater down to the plastic plug at the bottom of the tank. I then put a plastic hose into the water heater plug hole and siphoned out what was still remaining in the tank. I was surprised how much water was still in the water heater tank that would surley freeze and possible damage the water heater if you did not make the effort to siphon it out or dilute it with antifreeze.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
For nine years, now, I drain the lines, drain and bypass the water tank, blow out the lines with compressed air and put a small amount of rv antifreeze down each drain. That's all AS Customer Service said they do in Ohio and my trailers have survived 9 Wyoming winters with no problems.
It works for me too. And it avoids the need for hours of flushing the lines in the spring to get rid of the odor/taste of the antifreeze.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
It works for me too. And it avoids the need for hours of flushing the lines in the spring to get rid of the odor/taste of the antifreeze.
Exactly what I'm wanting to avoid. As far as getting odors from the drained and rinsed black tank through my kitchen sink drain trap, it is quite simple to screw in the drain plugs. I think simple is good, but that's just my philosophy on things.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
bimpy....
I just wanted to follow up on the winterization post. I winterized my trailer 2 days ago and drained the water heater down to the plastic plug at the bottom of the tank. I then put a plastic hose into the water heater plug hole and siphoned out what was still remaining in the tank. I was surprised how much water was still in the water heater tank that would surley freeze and possible damage the water heater if you did not make the effort to siphon it out or dilute it with antifreeze.
I asked Atwood about this quite awhile ago. They said what little water remains is normal and has plenty of room to expand when frozen and won't hurt anything.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I use the drain and blow-out method, but we have very mild winters here in Atlanta. I also, for the first time, climbed under neath the trailer and opened the pet-cock valves on the fresh water tank and drained it last winter. I opened the side drain valves on the hot water tank in addition to draining the hot water tank with the drain plug. I used my air compressor at 40 LBS to blow out all of the lines starting with each cold water and then each hot water faucet. I did the same with the toilet and shower. I added antifreeze to the drain traps in both sinks and shower drain. I also ran the pump on the fresh water tank while the air compressor was hooked up to make sure it had no water in it. And to add a belt to the suspenders, I left the furnace on the lowest setting.

So far, I haven't had any frozen pipes. This past winter was our coldest since I've had the Airstream and we did get down into the single digits for about three nights in a row a couple of times and this seems to have worked.

I don't go with the antifreeze in the water lines for a couple of reasons: number one, I am too lazy to un-do the winterizing; number two, we use our Airstream every month including November, December, January and February. It is just too much trouble to winterize and de-winterize on a monthly basis for one weekend trip each month.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
Quote:
For nine years, now, I drain the lines, drain and bypass the water tank, blow out the lines with compressed air and put a small amount of rv antifreeze down each drain. That's all AS Customer Service said they do in Ohio and my trailers have survived 9 Wyoming winters with no problems.
Thanks, living also in Wyoming going through my first winter with the AS parked outside this will make it that much easier to unwinterize come Feb when I take off for a month.
Blog
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
hello folks,had alittle problem on my first trip out this year due to my pump having a crack in it.the service tech said that it looked like i did not winterize it correctly-ouch.this year my last camping trip was down in assateauge md which is about 200 miles south of where i live.before i headed home i opened the low point drains on the trailer,and as i towed her home i drained all the water from the system including the hot water heater.since i will be taking a trip during thansgiving going to fla,i asked my wife to assist with the line blowout because i dont want to take a chance with a cold snap up north here before we leave in november.when i opened the hot water heater nothing came out because it apparantly drained on the ride back from md.i thought i still better blow the lines out but all the water that i was able to get out was apparantly hung up at the city water connection.wife told me i was able to blow out about8 oz throughout the whole system.next i attached my hose to the inlet side of the pump and put some antifreeze thru the pump-(this is apparantly where i fouled up last yr)after thangsgiving and on my 1000 mile tow back from fla,i will repeat this same procedure and hopefully have better results than my first trip out to lake george at the beginning of last season.of course the other thing that i learned from that experience,is to make sure all systems are go before i leave the driveway on the first journey.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
quickie job

Hubby did a "quickie winterization" today for an upcoming cold snap in our area this week. We just blew all the water from the pipes, drained the water heater tank, and poured some anti-freeze down the drains.

Cold temps (30's) for MTW, and we'll be back in our AS on Saturday. Hence, the quickie job.

I had to laugh... We had the air compressor on when he drained the water heater. Hubby had wet pants when it was all said and done.

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
So far, I have done the blow out on mine each winter before the cold weather sets in and that has been sufficient. We use our Airstream for monthly camping trips every month except November and February (and may use it this Nov.) so a full blown, pardon the pun, winterization is a lot of work each month. Fortunately, it rarely gets below the 20's here in the south Metro-Atlanta area and I usually keep the furnace on 50 degrees so that seems to be sufficient. I always run the pump with the compressor on to get water out of it as best I can and drain the tanks and water lines including the hot water lines and hot water tank.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #24
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Hurray, someone else on the right track. I drain all the lines, hook up my compressor to the city intake and one by one blow out all lines. I close off the HW and darin it and leave the plug open along with all the drip valves under the AS. Once each line has been blown clear (don't forget shower hose and toilet hose) I remove my internal water filter and drain that and leave unconnected. Make sure you pour antifreeze into ALL drains. Since we camp up to and including Thanksgiving we leave an electric heater in the AS set at 55. I have never used antifreeze in my lines since we never know when we will be on the road. Since we have heated tanks we tent to camp whenever we can and if the roads are clear.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Despite the naysayers on this forum, I have winterized our motorhome for almost ten years with VODKA! That's right, VODKA. I know, it'll dry out the connections, and all those dire warnings. Never have we had a problem.

We simply purchase the cheapest vodka we can find. Four or five fifths will do it. We disconnect the line going to the water pump from the water tank and suck all the lines full until it runs out each faucet. Of course I run a bypass in the water heater. That would take way too much to fill that. I then pour regular RV antifreeze in all the traps and drain the tanks.

Vodka is tasteless. Vodka has never frozen up here in Minnesoooota. Vodka sanitizes the lines. You can have one big party in the Spring. We have never had a broken line from freezing.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #26
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
hello folks,had alittle problem on my first trip out this year due to my pump having a crack in it.the service tech said that it looked like i did not winterize it correctly-ouch.
That's the problem with just blowing the lines out. The pump doesn't clear; neither does the screen trap or some other nooks and crannies. Pumping the pink stuff through the system gets all those little places that you otherwise have to disassemble to get properly winterized. Pumping the pink stuff takes about 15mins... I did it last night to both our Born Free moho and our Bigfoot. It's easy and quick to do, doesn't require a compressor, and gets everywhere it needs to be.

Roger
Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
That's the problem with just blowing the lines out. The pump doesn't clear;
Per the directions in the Safari manual, disconnect the lines to the pump and run it a few seconds to get the 1/2 cup of water out.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Any guidance on how much to do to a Overlander stored in Reno? I need to pass details to a friend to help get mine winterised.

Most water was drained out a couple of months ago, and flushed out the grey water tank.

Thanks

Yomster