Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Wink Winterizing 2015 bambi 16' sport

OK, so I thought I would do it myself...delayed a month due to 'the flu'....not a great idea,
I bought some RV antifreeze, poured into toilet and sink...then, could not find the drain for hot water tank, the bypass lines for hot water tank, or the water pump to pump antifreeze into the lines!

This is my first year owning an Airstream, and there is so much confusing information available, due to the variety of different models. One size does not fit all!

Soooo, when TOTALLY OVER MY HEAD....I called for a pro. An RV mobile guy who worked with dealerships for 16 years, then several years ago, started his own business. He is very familiar with the AS, thank goodness! Fortunately, no major freeze damage from our already mild freeze temps recently. Relieved that hot water tank flowed freely! That's a big $$$$ item if it freezes.

Jim was cost effective, very nice, and proficient. He taught me a lot more than my dealership did on the 'walk through'. In spring, he'll come back, dewinterize, make one small repair on the toilet tank thingy, and give me a precise instruction on use of my RV, use of AC & furnace. Prior dealer instruct= "there's the AC, furnace, there's the switch"....that was it!

So, the moral of my story...unless your dealer actually gave proper instruction, if you are a total novice, as am for a pro to winterize, and teach you how to do it. I assure you, it will be money well spent. Now, I can sleep better, knowing my cute little BAMBI will sleep well this winter at the storage lot. Evelyn.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
You're lucky to have found him! Well played.

Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Bob, I agree. Actually, my hairstylist, a nice fellow who bought a 5th wheel big SOB this summer and lives in it full time in a permanent location, gave me the referral. He was able to winterize William's RV, and protect from cold temps.

I've always been independent, thinking "I can do anything that someone else can". But, with an expensive RV, it's best to go to the pro for hands on instruction. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote

16' sport