Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Wynnewood , Pennsylvania
Winterizing

Newbie here, last month picked up 1st AS trailer, a 2018 25FB and went thru 2 1/2 hour orientation. Able to absorb most of the training, I think...will take initial short trip this weekend to start to learn what I do not know. But definitely anxious about winterizing...is there a step by step guide you can refer me to?

Thanks

PS: winterizing not only issue anxious about>>>backing up tops my lengthy list, will be a learning experience.
TJPL1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
I'm new to this as well. FWIIW the owners manual has a pretty good "how to" on this. Also, there are a bunch of recent threads here. Do a search and report back. I'm going to tackle this in month or so.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Congrats on your new AS!!

We're in the minority here, in getting our winterizing done at an RV service center. It's not expensive to get it done professionally and our piece of mind is worth something-- compared to a do-it-yourself friend of ours who seriously goofed up his plumbing by winterizing incorrectly.

Hopefully someone experienced who lives near you will volunteer to help you this time.

You're not alone, among newbies. We knew nothing about RVing or backing a trailer when we bought Bambi I. The learning curve was nearly vertical. With practice, you'll soon be backing like a pro.

Just be prepared for a little stress during your learning period. This too shall pass.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A second on the step-by-step in your owners manual...the best way to learn and get comfortable with these things is by doing them.

We had the winterizing/de-winterizing pages flagged in our owners manual...one of many those first couple of years.

If doing it soon scares the beejeebees out of you, perhaps find a local RV place that will do it for you this year...you can take it on next year, after you are more familiar and comfortable with all the aspects of your rig.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
There ate a number of threads on how to winterize some with great check lists. To me the hardest part was connecting the anti freeze to the water pump until I had the attachment added to it is now a lot easier. Best that i can tell you is to drain all of your tanks to include the water tanks and make sure you open the low drains. If you have an air pressure blow out the lines but be sure to keep the air pressure at or just below 60 PSI when doing it. One thing I do because it froze on me one year is to disconnect the toilet connection and drain by hand and then reconnect.

As to backing up the best advice i can offer is to get out of your vehicle before you begin and look at the sight and then do it often when backing in.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
FWIIW When I do not have a spotter while backing up and it is tight I will toss out a couple soccer cones so I have visual queues.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
If you have never done it before, I would recommend hiring someone to do it this year then do it yourself next year. Its really not that expensive. One question you need to answer is wether you will fill the lines with anti freeze or use just enough for the P-traps and toilet(for me its about a gallon) My guess is that you may opt for filling the lines because of your cold winter temperatures.
I have attached the checklist that I use.
Also, backing up. I found that putting my hand at the Six O'clock position made it easier for me. That way, if you want the trailer to go right you move your hand to the right. Get a feel for what a quarter turn does and what a half turn does. Practice is the key.
Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf winterize copy.pdf (51.5 KB, 454 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
This was my first year of winterizing. I couldn’t get to the water pump inlet to pump antifreeze through the system. So I bought a hand pump and used it in the city water inlet. I pumped the antifreeze until pink came out of the kitchen faucet; 1st hot water, then cold water), and repeated it for every fixture (the bath fixture, the toilet ( and don’t forget the outside shower faucet). Just about did. But I also opened up the outlet area by the pump and turned the pump on until water stopped coming out. That was in my instructions in the AS book. I caught about 2 cups of water out of it! I didn’t blow the system out with air, but I doubt the air would have pushed that water out of the pump. My dealer seemed to think anti-freeze was safer than using air.

One site I read was to just empty the water out, then pour antifreeze into the fresh water tank until you can pump it through the entire system. At $3 a gallon it wouldn’t be that expensive. Probably cost about $30. They also said to put antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks (1 gallon). I have yet to do that, and my instruction book doesn’t say one way or the other. But I will do it anyway. Can’t hurt. Plus don’t forget to put antifreeze down the drains so the traps have antifreeze.

I know some blow their systems out; others don’t. Might depend upon where you live. But one thing I’ve read is everyone seems to have their own little systems for doing it. I just hope I did it right!
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Lennon View Post
Newbie here, last month picked up 1st AS trailer, a 2018 25FB and went thru 2 1/2 hour orientation. Able to absorb most of the training, I think...will take initial short trip this weekend to start to learn what I do not know. But definitely anxious about winterizing...is there a step by step guide you can refer me to?

Thanks

PS: winterizing not only issue anxious about>>>backing up tops my lengthy list, will be a learning experience.

There are a million stories in the naked city as the TV show used to say....here is one of those.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ml#post2026528
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Actually the amount of antifreeze needed is quite small, maybe a gallon at the most (for our 19' Bambi). I didn't realize this the first year but for the past 3 that is it, sort of. Of course I start by draining EVERYTHING and then blowing air through the entire system...and opening and then closing each and every outlet. The special air valve stem attachment, that screws on the water intake, makes the job easy.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Point your front bumper in the direction you want the trailer back bumper to go.

In winterizing you are wanting to remove all the water that could collect enough to freeze and break some piece of the plumbing. Water expands 10% when it freezes. Your job would be to figure out all the tricks to remove all those water collection spots in all the pieces of plumbing. I believe in air pressure blowing the lines until there's less than fog coming out of each faucet. I won't recommend blowing in vodka for antifreeze afterward because newfangled machines might not like ethanol but I haven't had problems using it.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Get a winterizing kit

https://north40.com/camco-pump-conve...xoCjUsQAvD_BwE

This makes getting antifreeze into your system a whole lot easier. Simply open the valve (one installed) put the end of the tubing into the gallon jug of antifreeze, turn on your pump and start opening faucets one by one .
It looks like you are relatively close to Colonial Airstream. When I was in there 2 years ago getting some warranty work done, I had them install this kit for me (didn’t look that hard though). While there you could show you how to winterize your trailer again, or even have them do it for you.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
FWIIW When I do not have a spotter while backing up and it is tight I will toss out a couple soccer cones so I have visual queues.
Brilliant! I have soccer cones for teaching and practicing MTB skills. Now I have a great reason to pack in them in the trailer!
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
https://north40.com/camco-pump-conve...xoCjUsQAvD_BwE

It looks like you are relatively close to Colonial Airstream. When I was in there 2 years ago getting some warranty work done, I had them install this kit for me (didn’t look that hard though). While there you could show you how to winterize your trailer again, or even have them do it for you.

I just installed this in our trailer. It is ridiculously easy. Well, in our FB27 anyway. Access to the pump is right there under the wardrobe, lots of room (read: lots of wasted storage space LOL) to disconnect the pump and reconnect with the bypass. I then used a heavy duty garden twisty and twist-tied the pick up tube to the pump so I'll always have it handy when it's needed and not left behind somewhere.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #15
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post

One site I read was to just empty the water out, then pour antifreeze into the fresh water tank until you can pump it through the entire system.
Avoid at all costs. Trying to flush it from the fresh water tank in the spring would be extremely time and water-consuming. Best way is to install a winterizing kit as mentioned earlier on the suction side of the pump and introduce antifreeze from that point on. Can then pump it throughout all fixtures but leave it out of the fresh water tank.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Glad I just read this thread. Just winterized an hour ago and started by trying to install the camco bypass. Found it to be extremely simple to just detach the incoming water line and then attach the camco hose to the inlet side of the pump and put the other end in the gallon of antifreeze.
Before you start, make sure to adjust the water heater bypass valves which are quite simple being that they can only be in two positions, just turn them (3) to the other position and its done.
Then I turned the pump on, but had a hard time at first as only a little of the pink AF was coming out, but mostly spitting water. I then realized that the tube was curling in the jug of antifreeze and not drawing. I put it in straight but in a few minutes it curled. Next time I will tape it to a 1/4in wooden dowel.
So I finally managed to get that right and went through the faucets, shower, toilet and outside shower. Good. Reconnected the pump line and cleaned up my things in the AS.
Then I went to the water heater and drained it.
Then realized there was probably still water in the low point drains, so I opened them, turned on the pump, took the flashlight out, saw water run for a second and then turn pink and I started walking inside to finish up when my flashlight beam hit the continuing flow that I thought was AF, but it wasn't pink anymore, it was crystal clear. Figured for a second it was a line that had water in it, but it kept going and a few seconds later realized that my fresh water tank that I thought was empty, was not.
Soooo, not really knowing what to do.... I just let it finish draining, then did the entire process all over again (takes 15 mins the second time) and it started raining, so figured in the morning I would just go out and pour what was left of the AF in the fresh water tank...then open the tank petcock valve and drain it all. BUT... saved by the AS forums again ! Thinking about that, it would certainly take some time and sloshing around to get the AF out next spring.
I should have opened the fresh water tank valve, but its 38 degrees and pouring rain again and I really didn't want to get on my back in the puddles on the driveway (and I thought I did that last time I was camping and drained it...)

Anyway, that was the first time for me and the only challenging thing is :
1. finding the water pump I was lucky and found that early on.
2. figuring out if you want to install the three way Camco valve or just attach the hose to the pump. A check sheet of the entire process in hand before you start would also be a smart idea.

As for backing up, its a piece of cake. As someone before mentioned, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (6 o'clock). When your spouse or other says drivers side... or passenger side meaning the way the tail end of the trailer has to go... just move your hand to the driver side or passenger. Its really that simple. Sure there are the finer points of how far to move it and how to get it back to straight, but at least your half way there.
Am pulling with a Land Cruiser and have to say the back up camera makes hitching it up very easy.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Good stuff Fred

I also just installed a Camco Bypass kit. Easy Peezey. No leaks.

I tested everything with faucets open and toggled the bypass a couple times, all good. One issue is that now the water pump is alot louder and there is a air bubble (largish) in the pump filter visible thru the clear plastic housing (related?)

Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Laguna Niguel , California
You will get a lot of opinion on both of your topics, so here's one more. We have lived in California since getting our first AS, never had to worry about winterizing. Now we have a place back East and that's where the 28 is and I don't have the time to bring it out here, so checking with the local quality RV dealer that did some other work replacing the cheap tongue jack Airstream uses, they will winterize it for $200 and I think that is a great offer, no hassle, no guessing, and piece of mind for our 80K unit. As for backing up, just remember turn your TV in the opposite direction of where you want the trailer to go for the first 20% of the turn then slowly and progressively turn back in the same direction as trailer and follow it back. Hint Walmart or other large open parking lot to practice and practice and don't be in a hurry no matter how much pressure you feel on your first camp site. Don't be to proud to refuse help if it's offered. Keep in mind many camp sites have bushes between spaces, don't get close to them. AS aluminum scratches real easy. Good to have a companion keeping an eye on the blind side as you back in. No worries you will find it real easy once you get to recognize your "marks" when positioning and backing. Enjoy your new 25FB.
Revery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
😳

AF....👎
I realized there is another way.
AIR 👌🏽

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails