Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sorta like the ant and the grasshopper: all those mild fall, even summery days in October, but "no time to winterize." Tonight is wet, blustery, nasty and the temperature is predicted to drop to mid-20's and even colder tomorrow night, so there we were, just before dark fell, draining, purging, antifreezing. . .while WE were freezing. . . We really should know better! I wonder if next winter we'll not only plan for winterizing, but put those plans into action BEFORE the emergency???

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm so with you guys. I put off winterizing until I woke up this morning and noticed ice on all the puddles and frost everywhere. Then I broke out the compressor and finished blowing out the lines - at least I'd already drained everything. Worst of all I still needed to empty the black tank from our last trip (we forgot to empty it on our way home). So we emptyed it into the blueboy and took it to the dumpstation at a nearby park, only to find they had already shut off their water to the dumpstation for the winter! Yuk! Next year I'll get on it sooner!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was suprised the first time I blew out the lines how much water actually sits in the pipes when you think you have it totally empty, pre blow out.

I've always put some antifreeze in the fresh tanks and both the black and grey tanks, and personally have had zero issues with lingering taste in from the fresh tank, specifically because I dewinterize as outlined in that book I posted a few posts back. I will say this, if you try that trick of a plastic jug in freezing temps, the odds are it will not crack or break, but over time, the jug will start to deform due to the expansion and contraction and eventually I feel that will weaken the plastic to the point of **maybe** cracking or starting a leak. I know that when I empty my fresh tank, there is a fair amount of water left in the tank. I err on the safe side as a gallon of the mint RV antifreeze is $3.99, fresh water, bleach and baking soda are cheap, while tank replacement is several hundred dollars if not more....and since I have to disinfect the fresh water system anyway in the spring...... To me you just can't be too careful and this practice has served us well in all of our RVing years (about 30), and I do list it as possible overkill in the post....but to each thier own.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Pressure regulator

Eric,

The only thing that I do in addition to your list is to drain the small amout of water in the pressure regulator. On our 76 Overlander the pressure regulator is in the rear hatch and I open a small petcock to drain.
And during the entire process I raise the tongue of the traler to near the upper limit.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I put RV antifreeze in the traps and black tank this time, but not in the fresh water tank. Luckily we don't get severe freezes here, but I have a feeling this winter might turn out to be a little harder than usual. I still run a small heater in the trailer to keep the interior above freezing. I think in addition to keeping the lines and tanks a little warmer (they are all inside the trailer on mine) it helps keeps the trailer dry so it doesn't get that funky 'trailer' smell. I keep a dri-z-air on the counter too, and it has already picked up some moisture. And of course I brought all the bedding and pillows and towels inside for the winter.

The one thing I'm never sure about is the water heater. I drained it, blew air through it, and I can't get any more water out, but you can't SEE what's in it, so I'm always worried it's going to freeze.

I hate putting the trailer away for the winter. It seems like such a long time until spring!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm with ya there Steph. I hate to do it too. The heater is a metal tank and although I don't worry too much about it, I do run a touch of the pink stuff through it too just to keep the water in it from freezing. I know that clearly this is overkill, but it's a matter of a quick twist of the bypass and it get's a shot of it.

That's a good point on the pressure regulator on a vintage coach.....my proceedure is for a 2003 and/or 2004 Airstream.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thought I would try to get one more road trip in before winterizing. The temperature is predicted to get down to the mid - low twenties this weekend. The AS would be heated at all times. Does anyone think I would be flirting with disaster?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:40 AM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Thought I would try to get one more road trip in before winterizing. The temperature is predicted to get down to the mid - low twenties this weekend. The AS would be heated at all times. Does anyone think I would be flirting with disaster?
as long as you have plenty of propane you will be fine.

i have wet camped in mine into the low teens with no problems.

john
Old 11-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John is right....as long as you keep the heat running, you should be in good shape. The furnace in the Bambi has a duct to the grey tank below. The black tank is mostly above the floor and the fresh tank is above the floor as are most of the fresh water lines.

If it is going to be less than 32 degrees as you say, I would throw some of the pink stuff down the drain(s) and some in the black tank, just so that the exposed section of PVC that is outside (pre dump valves) has some antifreeze in it as a precaution, but that's just me...possibly a 1/4 gallon to each tank. Some may say overkill, but at $3 a gallon, not enviornmentally toxic and the cost to dig into it if something did happen (which I know may be rare), seems to me only slightly overkill.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks John, both tanks will be full before departure. Silvertwinkie, winterizing the drain is a good idea, especially whille traveling. I was out camping this weekend, and the temp dropped to 29 with no problems. The propane furnace kept us really warm. It was about 35 - 40 during the day so I tried out the heat pump on the Penguin for the first time. It worked great, and easily kept the cabin temp at a steady 69 degrees.
Regards,
GW
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
If you are using AS in freezing weather it is important to have out side water running (running water does not freeze) to prevent exterior water lines from freezing, also you will note that most of your interior water pipes are very close to the exterior walls, so you need to keep the inside cupboard doors open, this will allow heat to migrate to any cold spots.

drive safe
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #26
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
good points all,

what it really comes down to is RUN THE FURNACE!

heat pumps or strips and space heaters will not heat your tanks.

only the furnace does.

john