Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Winterizing...

I'm just darn worried about our first winterizing.

I think I want to have it done professionally the first time or two or three. Our dealer is four hours away -- is it safe to have it winterized by a non-airstream RV dealer? (There is one here with which we have another relationship.)

Tom (and Frank)
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
tom, the winterizing process is not hard, do it yourself!

sure beats driving eight hours to let someone else do it!

john
Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Thumbs up Newbies did ok

Even as newbies our first try (last year) we did OK. Searching for winterize and reading the numerous options, the on de-winterizing for the back side (also noted some details about the winterizing steps).
After this year's activity, I'll make up our check list for "good" and try to go by it in the future.
Good luck
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Before towing my Argosy back to a below-zero winter storm I had an East Coast AS dealer winterize my unit. It seems he did a pretty good job but hadn't drained the prefilter by the water pump, so the clear plastic shell broke and hoses drained on the floor. Not such a bad deal -- turned out the prefilter screen was in tough shape.

And the AS dealer didn't realize my water tank was half full and it sat all winter... frozen no doubt. It's pretty rugged and there was no damage. Whew! Yes, I think you can do a really good job too!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Do it yourself and you will know it was done right.
Read the threads about winterizing....make a to do list to check off as you go.
You will be fine.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
one start

A starting place would be the factory's check list:
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...interizing.pdf
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
I'm just darn worried about our first winterizing...
I share your concern. My preference is to just blow the lines out, and move on. But during the restoration, I came across many water line patches, and replaced a lot of swollen copper line. It could be that cold winter snuck up on the previous owener. Or it could be that it is ultimately best to add RV antifreeze.

Anyone care to comment on their luck with just blowing out the lines with compressed air?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:01 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Anyone care to comment on their luck with just blowing out the lines with compressed air?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom, according to my dealer the key is to use enough air pressure. The typical pressure used by 12 volt pumps, while moving out most of the liquid, can leave substantial moisture in the lines which can run back to low points. His service is set at 90 lbs. which he connects while the various valves are opened up.

From my own experience I blow out the lines with my 12 volt pump and then pump RV antifreeze through the system.

I've never had a problem in 25 years using this methodolgy and we've had temps down to -13 so I know I'm doing things right. Just make sure you open up those low water drains and get those blown out. Other water holders are shower heads, and the small bladder that is in the Thetford toilets.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
...His service is set at 90 lbs. which he connects while the various valves are opened up.
Jack

That's interesting. I assume he is hooking up at the hose fitting. On my Overlander, the water pressure regulator would throttle that down to around 45 psig. If it didn't, the relief valve would probably pop if I neglected to open a faucet.

I have shop air, so I could do 90 psi if I wanted to, but it sounds like it is best to use antifreeze even after doing a good job blowing the lines out.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Absolutely do it yourself! It is very easy. Just follow the instructions in your manual, or an RV book, or as posted elsewhere on this site. It only takes 20 minutes and is very easy. Basically:

- drain everything I can (water tank, black and grey tanks, water heater, and water line drains)
- Put a couple gallons of RV antifreeze in the water tank
- Turn the 3 bypass valves for the water heater
- Pump the antifreeze through each faucet, the toilet, and shower until red stuff comes out. Do both hot and cold positions for each. A little extra antifreeze will protect the drains, tanks, and valves
- Done!

Perhaps you could get a little help the first time from another do-it-yourself RV owner.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tom (& Frank), my 61 point winterizing list is at http://www.airforums.com/forum...3&page=4&pp=20
Like the others have said, just learn to do it, and you'll know it's done right. Just take your time on the first attempt. The fitment that allows you to pump antifreeze through the system is a great addition. Be brave! Nick.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
- Put a couple gallons of RV antifreeze in the water tank
The only caution to this is understanding how much residule water remains in the tank when it finishes draining. If there is water in there, it will dilute your antifreeze and your freeze point will be higher. Prior to purchasing my Classic, I used to put 2 or 3 gallons in the water tank. I also very rarely used that tank and from what I could tell, it was almost completly dry. But be aware since all fresh water tank drains do not sit at the absolute bottom of the tank.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tom/Frank.... if you all would like a hand winterizing your Safari, send me a PM, I've done it 2x so far and both times the camper survived the Chicago winters (though last winter was fairly mild around here).

You are right down the street from us.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
...also, if you are referring to the Airstream dealer here in Illinois...I wouldn't take my go-cart to him.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Compressed air

I have only used antifreeze in the lines one winter, and I don't plan on ever bothering again. Other than that year, I have just blown the water out. In my 34', after draining the freshwater tank and both holding tanks, and blowing out ALL of the water (let the air flow for a couple of minutes AFTER you see the last water droplets come out of all of the faucets including the shower...) I also just open my pump's pre-filter and drain it as well as removing the fittings to the pump just to make sure it's drained. The pump and pre-filter are probably the most difficult things to do, and they only take a couple of minutes.

I do pour RV antifreeze into the drain P-traps. Once the freshwater tank is drained, I'm not particularly concerned about whether or not there's a little left in the tank. I've never had any problems with it. I generally remove my batteries too, and store them in the basement as they're kind of expensive to let die 'cause I was too lazy to pull 'em out.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Winterizing is very easy. Check out this website

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
I'm just darn worried about our first winterizing.

I think I want to have it done professionally the first time or two or three. Our dealer is four hours away -- is it safe to have it winterized by a non-airstream RV dealer? (There is one here with which we have another relationship.)

Tom (and Frank)
Really simplifies the process and it has pictures, too!!!

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/painless.html

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote