Old 09-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #1

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Rexburg , Idaho
Winteriziang 2015 30Ft Flying Cloud

Can you use the built-in pressure regulator on the city water intake to protect the plumbing system during an "air" pressure winterizing of the RV? Also, can you do the same thing to clean out the black water tank wash system? Or, would you just put on an in-line regulator?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I regulate my air pressure to about 60 lbs and blow the lines out, then let the pump pump the antifreeze in the lines..be sure to drain hot water tank, drain the holding tanks

Old 09-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Airstream doesn't design a water system that is easy to winterize. Their preferred method is to blow out the water with compressed air. This means you have to buy a small air compressor with hose to attach to the city water connection They place the water pumps in hard to get areas so it's difficult to unhook the water lines to drain any water ou the pump and don't install any type of diverted valve to pump in RV antifreeze like every other manufacturer. I'm lucky to all ready have a pancake air compressor. I'm going to blow the lines ot first then put a few gallons of RV antifreeze in the water tank and run each faucet until antifreeze comes out. Any left over antifreeze in the water tank I'll drain out then flush the tank with a few gallons of water then drain it dry. Water heater is by passed and I'll drain it normally. Don't forget to take out the water filter in the kitchen. I usually leave all the faucets in the open position.
Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
California , Maryland
Winterizing 2015 FC FB Bunky

This is my 1st time winterizing our new 2015 30" bunky. I was planning to winterize by tapping into the waterlines at the pump to run anti-freeze through the lines like I did on our 27" FB, but the 30' bunky water pump location is NOT very accessible. Reading the forums, it sounds like everyone recommends draining and blowing out the lines followed by adding antifreeze to the water tank and pumping it that way. Draining and bypassing the water heater is a given. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I have a 2014 bunk so my pump should be in the same location as yours. Remove a few of the small drawers and there should be access. You need to get down there anyway because there is a hidden bypass valve for the toilet. Mine was under the air duct to the right if I recall correctly.

And I blew out the lines then added antifreeze with the pump. First year took me a while. This year I had a helper and it only took 45 min max.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
California , Maryland
I assume the toilet bypass valve is there to shut off the water to perform maint. on the toilet. I would think it should be left open so antifreeze would get into the lines to the toilet. Correct?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I think so. I ran antifreeze in both directions just in case
Old 11-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowltontr View Post
I assume the toilet bypass valve is there to shut off the water to perform maint. on the toilet. I would think it should be left open so antifreeze would get into the lines to the toilet. Correct?
Correct?.....depends on which side of the fence you Winterize on.

I changed sides several years ago, and currently the only place the AF resides is in the traps.
All the lines are blown as dry as 35psi for 1/2 an hour will get them and ALL valves are left open.

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
T Reading the forums, it sounds like everyone recommends draining and blowing out the lines followed by adding antifreeze to the water tank and pumping it that way. Draining and bypassing the water heater is a given. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Several years I just blew mine out without any problems then I had my water pump freeze and bust. For the last couple of years I've been draining my water tank and water heater. I then pour 3 or 4 gallons of Anit-freeze in the water tank and pump Anti-freeze through the system with the water pump.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:42 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
POI.....the volume of air is just as/more important than pressure.

Our 25gal 2 stage shop compressor will supply a steady 35psi at the outlet with the compressor tank regulator set at 125psi.

It will dry the lines in about 30min. It is NEVER connected to a closed system, one faucet or line drain is always open.

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Water heater draining

I have drained my water heater but when I hook up compressor to the city water inlet I can hear what sounds like gurgling water coming from the water heater area. Then I read there will be some water left in the water heater but freezing is not an issue as there is room in the tank for expansion. Any input on this?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I have a 2014 bunk so my pump should be in the same location as yours. Remove a few of the small drawers and there should be access. You need to get down there anyway because there is a hidden bypass valve for the toilet. Mine was under the air duct to the right if I recall correctly.

And I blew out the lines then added antifreeze with the pump. First year took me a while. This year I had a helper and it only took 45 min max.
Any chance you could help out Greg on locating that hidden toilet bypass drain valve, in the thread linked below?

Thanks,

Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ue-153992.html

PS -- knowltontr too if you can?

Quote:
Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Winteriziang 2015 30Ft Flying Cloud

Drain your fresh water tank first.Open hot water and cold water low water drains (owners manual)while all faucets are open until no water remains.Close both.Open pressure valve on water heater and remove drain plug.Once the water heater is drained open the water heater bypass valves and close the water heater feed valve.This is explained in the owners manual.I use a combo battery jumper/compressor purchased at Sams club for $55 and a air adapter that fits fresh water inlet.Pressurize system with air to 25psi watch the gauge open a window so that u can tell your helper when to open the faucet then close it.Repeat .Start at the furthest faucet and repeat until no water remains on hot or cold side then move to shower repeat with shower head attached.Move to bathroom faucet then flush toilet sprayer with air.Finish by opening low water H/C drains again.Close them.Remove clear water filter cap next to water pump have a small hand towel ready for spill reattach cup.Attach antifreeze feeder to backside of water pump (screen filter side) turn on water pump till system is pressurized (pump shuts off) now go around again opening all faucets until the RV antifreeze comes out.Flush toilet.Dont forget Toilet sprayer and shower H/C sidesDump about a cup in all drains.Remove shower head.Wipe up any antifreeze as it will stain after sitting.Takes me 45 mins start to finish.2 gallons RV antifreeze. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Drain your fresh water tank first.Open hot water and cold water low water drains (owners manual)while all faucets are open until no water remains.Close both.Open pressure valve on water heater and remove drain plug.Once the water heater is drained open the water heater bypass valves and close the water heater feed valve.This is explained in the owners manual.I use a Stanley combo battery jumper/compressor purchased at Sams club for $55 and a air adapter that fits fresh water inlet.Pressurize system with air to 25psi watch the gauge open a window so that u can tell your helper when to open the faucet then close it.Repeat .Start at the furthest faucet and repeat until no water remains on hot or cold side then move to shower repeat with shower head attached.Move to bathroom faucet then flush toilet sprayer with air.Finish by opening low water H/C drains again.Close them.Remove clear water filter cap next to water pump have a small hand towel ready for spill reattach cup.Attach antifreeze feeder to backside of water pump (screen filter side) turn on water pump till system is pressurized (pump shuts off) now go around again opening all faucets until the RV antifreeze comes out.Flush toilet.Dont forget Toilet sprayer and shower H/C sidesDump about a cup in all drains.Remove shower head.Wipe up any antifreeze as it will stain after sitting.Takes me 45 mins start to finish.2 gallons RV antifreeze. Good luck. I have done this for 7 years without incident