Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Winterize by blowing the lines

I have been winterizing my trailer by blowing the water out of the lines using compressed air. It's easy and does not require filling the system with the RV antifreeze. I then just put some in each of the traps. This has proven to be a good method for me. We have a newer trailer now and it has the black tank sprayer. Can I simply attach the air line to it and blow it clear ????? Is there anything I'm missing here that would require anything else to be done ???

Just want to make sure I get it all.

Thanks,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I use compressed air and follow with antifreeze. In the past, I just blew and had one low spot in a copper waterline in the 63 freeze and leak, so spending the extra $3 is worth it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Good question about the black water sprayer. You got me thinking, again.
I have that sprayer too but I've never done anything to it for the winter besides making sure the tanks are all clean and empty.
I would also like to hear how others in the "North" address it. Is it an issue?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Do not put air or water pressure thru the black tank sprayer without the dump valve or the flush valve open. Any pressure and you are going to have a sh**y problem. On my Clipper I have never winterized this as it will drain without help.

Using air is good to start with, but it will not empty the plastic filter bowl at the pump. Use RV antifreeze and be confident the job is done.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Good question about the black water sprayer. You got me thinking, again.
I have that sprayer too but I've never done anything to it for the winter besides making sure the tanks are all clean and empty.
I would also like to hear how others in the "North" address it. Is it an issue?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
We have a newer trailer now and it has the black tank sprayer. Can I simply attach the air line to it and blow it clear ????? Is there anything I'm missing here that would require anything else to be done ???
I would not hook up a compressed air line to the black tank flush valve (the sprayer) unless the owner's manual specifically says that you can. The tank is not designed to be pressurized. It can't be, because the tank is vented anyway. If you hook up a compressed air line to the flush valve, you run the risk of blowing something up into the vent line and clogging it.

What I did was modify an external shower hose so that I could hook the external shower into the black tank flush fitting, and wash out the black tank with HOT water from the shower. The flush fitting includes a check valve to prevent back flow into my fresh tank.

Then, with the hot water softening and loosening any residual solid waste in the tank, I drain the tank, and repeat until the black tank drains clear water. Then I add antifreeze to the tank to ensure that any water that doesn't drain won't freeze in the tank.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
One cannot pressurize either waste tank. They both have vents open to atmosphere via the roof.

I blow mine out every year.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't forget to open and purge the shower valve.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I remove the filter basket in the water line, empty it then replace it, disconnect the hose from the bath tub wall, open the low-point drains and let them drain, then close them up, reset the water heater by-pass valves to isolate it, then drain the WH.
Finally, we then blow the system out.

We connect a pump bought for this purpose to suck antifreeze out of the jugs it's bought in, and pump it into the system. One at a time taps are opened to allow air to escape and confirm the pink antifreeze is filling that branch.

Funny, it's kind of a sombre ceremony, since it means the end of the season. As I think of it, we need to find a way to turn it into a celebration of the wonderful season that just ended!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I use only air pressure to winterize. I've never blown out the black tank sprayer and haven't had a problem. But don't forget to blow out the galley sink sprayer and the toilet flusher.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other line to blow out is if you have an outside faucet. Easy to forget because we rarely ever use it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I use both air and antifreeze to winterize.

Drain all water from the system: fresh water tank, water heater, low point grain lines, and valve near water heater, with all valves open, hold open toilet fill line for a few seconds

Using an adapter at the city water line - blow out the lines, opening and closing valves and drain lines. you need a compressor with a tank to do this. IMPORTANT -- NEVER EXCEED 60 PSI, and always have one valve open. The water heater is bypassed for this.

Drain black and gray tanks Flush black tank several times on your last outing, leave dry.

Purge system with antifreeze - using water pump bypass input hose. Starting with high point (shower) open up one valve at a time (hot and cold), until antifreeze runs through. Pour 1/2 cup into each trap. Pour 1/2 gallon of antifreeze into black tank.

I have been doing this method for 25 years, and have never had a problem. It is my opinion that the valves and piping system is in better shape with antifreeze in the system, rather than dry -- lubrication etc.

I have never blown out the black tank sprayer -- but probably not a bad idea. The volume of air will not be a problem, as the tank os vented. In fact when we dump our tank, I usually fill up the black tank 2 or three times to flush it. I can see the monitor panel from the outside, and I keep an eye on my watch to time the fill cycle.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Air Only

When I picked up my used trailer the first thing I noticed is that it did not have the pump bypass that allowed me to fill the lines with antifreeze. Upon looking very closely at the pump and the location, I could understand why this wasn't there. It would be difficult to install a bypass in my 25FB. I went to the local dealer and talked to the tech guy and asked him what he would do. He told me that they simply blow the lines, empty the HW tank, open the low point drains and then run the pump dry. If this is what the dealership does I decided that it would work for me.

I have never blown the black tank sprayer. I do believe that it drains on its own. I have forgotten to blow out the kitchen sprayer and had to replace it this spring.

I take my time and do a complete job each fall. I do think the pink stuff does a better job, but having winterized trailers for about 7 years now, I am comfortable with the compressed air technique.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
I won't be picking up my Airstream for another month yet but we have been winterizing the toyhauler with just compressed air on the fresh side and pink antifreeze in the traps and tanks for the last several years. That is what the dealer in Anchorage does and we have been ok with it here in Fairbanks to -50 deg. F. That is until last year when I forgot to open the outside shower and blow it out. CRS strikes again!

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I just blow out the lines. Hasn't failed me yet. I used to do the antifreeze but I got tired of smelling it (still) two months into the camping season - this was especially a problem in the B190 that didn't have a water heater bypass, so flushing the system took a LOT more time and water than you'd expect. (It didn't help that our first camping trip each year was at a place that doesn't have a sewer connection, and I don't have one at home.)

If I lived farther north I might worry more about the antifreeze, but I'm happy with dry. The Airstream manual indicates it should be fine for the temperatures I would encounter.

I never thought about the blackwater flush. It seems to drain itself pretty well each time.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I used to do the antifreeze but I got tired of smelling it (still) two months into the camping season .
Exactly.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quickest, best and easiest way to clean the black water tank is to dump a bunch of ice cubes down the toilet before heading home on the last trip of the season.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I used to blow water lines in a previous trailer we owned that had a very simple water system. It had no shower, just a porta potty etc.

When moving to trailers with more elaborate systems, I read that simply blowing the lines "could" lead to problems. inasmuch as some water could remain in the piping and after blowing, might make its way back to a low point and would freeze. If enough accumulated broken pipes could result.

I'm not sure if that is valid or not, but I have decided ever since to use antifreeze. I don't bother blowing the system first.

Costs me maybe a gallon and a half of plumbing antifreeze and easy to do using the existing 12v pump - which itself is then protected as well as the fliter on the intake.

maybe it is unnecessary as many people just seem to use compressed air, but i prefer not to take a chance! For sure I'd be the one person to have problems!

I've never done anything with the black water flush line.

I think the only winterization problem we have had with the AS was the first winter we owned it.

The previous owner had tucked the toiler rinse hose into the back of the toilet and we didn't know it even existed so it didn't get the antifreeze treatment.

Needless to say, water all over the place when we used the toilet and a new Thetford hose/valve assembly needed at the rip off price of about $39 if I recall!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I appreciate all the experienced responses. I'm happy with the compressed air treatment. I, too, empty the filter bowl on the incoming line to the pump. I do read about the low point valves. I don't know if my older trailer had one and can't look for it any more. If the new trailer has one where would I look to find it ?????

It was mentioned by Brian ( above ) about not being confident that the compressed air will eliminate all the water. That's a concern that I share. When I do it I lower the pressure to approx. 45 psi and I go around the trailer and evacuate water through each faucet several times. When I'm sure I'm getting nothing but AIR I'm confident the lines are dry.
I never had any issues over the 4 winters I did this. And it's what the previous owner also did. Still not sure what I will do with the black tank spray but I'm leaning towards a low air pressure application just to be sure. OH YES, don't forget that external faucet for those that have one.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
if you have a filtered water spigot on the kitchen sink you'll need to address that too. i believe that using compressed air may not purge the water from the filter and if frozen will split the filter. if you use antifreeze you'll need to replace the filter when putting the water lines back into service.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Our old trailer had the filter spigot but it was not in use. The new trailer has the filter built into the faucet. I was advised by my friend ( prev. owner ) to remove the filter cartridge for winter. He also installed a whole house filter in the cabinet of the bathroom and I will remove that one also after blowing the lines.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18