Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #85
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Just as every caveman needed a stone ax rather than a stone hatchet, a modern man needs a large air compressor with as many pneumatic tools as possible.

This is comparable to the one I have.

Air Compressor with Impact Wrench: Get Cranking with Tools from Sears

Ken

Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #86
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Just as every caveman needed a stone ax rather than a stone hatchet, a modern man needs a large air compressor with as many pneumatic tools as possible.

This is comparable to the one I have.

Air Compressor with Impact Wrench: Get Cranking with Tools from Sears

Ken

Ken,
All that link gives me is a Sears page titles, "shop internationally at Sears". They ship to hotels, your friends, et cetera.

It may have something to do with me living here in Canada, so this is just an FYI.

[Edit]: OK, I trimmed the URL a bit and got the entry for the 26 gallon air compressor.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Your taking things much to seriously.

I have no qualms about your methods, that's your choice, as long as your happy with the results....fine.

I do use antifreeze in the lines, plus air...I don't feel thats not being "thorough."

Dad once told me..."I can explain it to you, I can't understand for you".....

Again, these are only words, not even on paper, don't get your skivvies twisted.

Smile

Bob
Bob,

Where this went awry is that you interpreted what I wrote differently that I intended when I wrote it.

There are those people who do not want to make this a tedious task in which you must pay close attention to every detail. For these people, using antifreeze is the way to go. I did not say, nor did I intend to say, that everyone who uses antifreeze fits in this category. Obviously, the absolute least risk of freezing (most thorough) is to blow the lines totally clear of water as I do, and then fill the entire system with antifreeze. That is apparently want you do because it is the most thorough.

I wish to skip the antifreeze part of this, because I do not want to have to flush it out in the spring. Therefore, I pay much more attention to removing every last molecule of water from the pipes than I woud if I were going to use antifreeze.. That amount of thoroughness would not be necessary if I chose to fill the system with antifreeze. I could still do it and be even more thorough, and those like you who chose to do it that way, are to be congratulated for their extra special thoroughness. If I intend to insult you, or a class of people to which you belong, I will make it much more obvious that my original post was.

OK?

Ken
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I must like to be tedious. I like the blow it out—suck in antifreeze method explained by Brian (Wingeezer). I have never had a problem with antifreeze aftertaste and I've used both cheap Walmart antifreeze and more expensive brands. My impression is that being just as tedious in sanitizing in the spring will clear the system of any antifreeze taste. There's no question both winter- and summerizing are tedious, but each year I get a little faster.

I use both compressed air and antifreeze because it doesn't take much more time and not only gives me peace of mind, but the risk of damage from air only may be small, but the time and money costs of frozen and broken parts are high. A small expense in that context.

And, even then, I have screwed up. One year I forgot to clear the toilet valve and the kitchen sprayer and both froze. I haven't forgotten since.

To connect an air compressor to the fresh water inlet there is a fitting sold at Camping World (and probably elsewhere). I think it is around $6 or $7.

Gene
Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Ken,
All that link gives me is a Sears page titles, "shop internationally at Sears". They ship to hotels, your friends, et cetera.

It may have something to do with me living here in Canada, so this is just an FYI.

[Edit]: OK, I trimmed the URL a bit and got the entry for the 26 gallon air compressor.
Having to trim it puzzles me.

I could understand it, if you had to add an "-eh?" to make it work in you location.

Ken
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #90

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I have never had a problem with antifreeze aftertaste and I've used both cheap Walmart antifreeze and more expensive brands.
Gene
I used to buy the cheap brands until one spring after doing the flush of the antifreeze I found the back of the toilet gushing water. Upon taking it apart I found that the pressure assembly that provides the burst of power had literally melted and was mush. I think something in that batch of antifreeze had gone astray. Since that time I have stuck with Prestone, figuring they may have a little better quality control of their product rather than a no name brand.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I used to buy the cheap brands until one spring after doing the flush of the antifreeze I found the back of the toilet gushing water. Upon taking it apart I found that the pressure assembly that provides the burst of power had literally melted and was mush. I think something in that batch of antifreeze had gone astray. Since that time I have stuck with Prestone, figuring they may have a little better quality control of their product rather than a no name brand.

Jack
Jack, that sounds ugly. When I forgot to run antifreeze through the toilet valve and attached city water to flush in the spring, I had a fountain in the bathroom until I shut off the feed valve. Are you sure you got antifreeze through that pressure assembly? Now I'm worried about Walmart antifreeze.

The end result was I took the trailer to JC for warranty work and they replaced the valve for free even though I told them it was my fault. They did the same for kitchen sprayer that I also confessed too.

I was told that you have to pull the toilet to get to the toilet valve because there isn't enough space to replace it. This is not the same as the feed valve down at the floor. It is behind the toilet up higher. Knowing this makes me remember to make sure it is winterized.

Also, just in case it isn't clear, remove the undersink filter before running antifreeze through the lines. Once the filter is removed, the fitting will not leak if you turn on the small spigot for the filtered water to run antifreeze through it. If you leave the filter in, the antifreeze and the activated charcoal in the filter do not get along and the charcoal loses (and so do you when you pay for a new one—they are available online for a lot less than RV stores charge).

Gene
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #92

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Jack, that sounds ugly. When I forgot to run antifreeze through the toilet valve and attached city water to flush in the spring, I had a fountain in the bathroom until I shut off the feed valve. Are you sure you got antifreeze through that pressure assembly? Now I'm worried about Walmart antifreeze.

The end result was I took the trailer to JC for warranty work and they replaced the valve for free even though I told them it was my fault. They did the same for kitchen sprayer that I also confessed too.

I was told that you have to pull the toilet to get to the toilet valve because there isn't enough space to replace it. This is not the same as the feed valve down at the floor. It is behind the toilet up higher. Knowing this makes me remember to make sure it is winterized.

Also, just in case it isn't clear, remove the undersink filter before running antifreeze through the lines. Once the filter is removed, the fitting will not leak if you turn on the small spigot for the filtered water to run antifreeze through it. If you leave the filter in, the antifreeze and the activated charcoal in the filter do not get along and the charcoal loses (and so do you when you pay for a new one—they are available online for a lot less than RV stores charge).

Gene
Gene the toilet had a rubber bladder in it that was squeezed when the handle was pulled. This provided a rush of water. When I pulled the assembly apart the bladder was like black goo. I think the antifreeze melted the bladder. It was full of pink stuff so it wasn't a freeze issue. That happened over 15 years ago and I've used Prestone faithfully ever after. Cost about $2-$3 more in total for the two gallons. Well worth it. It probably was a freak thing but I just don't trust the generic stuff.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
This will be the first season winterizing my 2013 27 Classic (I previously owned a 2006 Safari).

A quick question -- My previous trailer had a by-pass kit installed. Why doesn't Airstream install the bypass as standard equipment?

The Pump on the Classic is accessed in the closet. The dealer said AS did not recommend the bypass valve -- rather disconnect the input hose and temporarily install a hose to if I wanted to use antifreeze.

Any recommendations?

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #94

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
This will be the first season winterizing my 2013 27 Classic (I previously owned a 2006 Safari).

A quick question -- My previous trailer had a by-pass kit installed. Why doesn't Airstream install the bypass as standard equipment?

The Pump on the Classic is accessed in the closet. The dealer said AS did not recommend the bypass valve -- rather disconnect the input hose and temporarily install a hose to if I wanted to use antifreeze.

Any recommendations?
To add the antifreeze intake valve on my Classic, I'd have to move the pump. They have the pump fresh water intake next to the wheel well cover and the bypass valve assembly is too big to fit into the area without moving the pump and the fresh water tank line. I just haven't dealt with this due to the tank water line not being long enough to accommodate a pump move. At this point I just unscrew the fresh water line from the pump intake. I have a flexible hose which I can screw on to the pump and then put the hose into the antifreeze bottle.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Quote:
To add the antifreeze intake valve on my Classic, I'd have to move the pump. They have the pump fresh water intake next to the wheel well cover and the bypass valve assembly is too big to fit into the area without moving the pump and the fresh water tank line. I just haven't dealt with this due to the tank water line not being long enough to accommodate a pump move. At this point I just unscrew the fresh water line from the pump intake. I have a flexible hose which I can screw on to the pump and then put the hose into the antifreeze bottle.

Jack
Thanks Jack.

Colonial is sending me the hose at no cost.

WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #96

Fenton , Missouri
Even if they don't supply the antifreeze bypass you would think that somewhere along the line, someone looking at the setup in the compartment would realize that their placement prohibits the bypass. It's not like they don't have room. I haven't looked at any other trailers other than mine, so for all intents I figured that this was something that would be corrected in future years. After 10 years since mine was built, you would think that they would have had some feedback to correct this obvious oversight.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Quote:
Even if they don't supply the antifreeze bypass you would think that somewhere along the line, someone looking at the setup in the compartment would realize that their placement prohibits the bypass. It's not like they don't have room. I haven't looked at any other trailers other than mine, so for all intents I figured that this was something that would be corrected in future years. After 10 years since mine was built, you would think that they would have had some feedback to correct this obvious oversight.

Jack
My 2006 Safari had easy access to the pump. It had an easy access door in front of the pump, and the bypass valve was in plain sight.

WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #98
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Even if they don't supply the antifreeze bypass you would think that somewhere along the line, someone looking at the setup in the compartment would realize that their placement prohibits the bypass.

After 10 years since mine was built, you would think that they would have had some feedback to correct this obvious oversight.

Jack
Hardly an "oversight" by Airstream......

The owners manual that came with both my Airstream trailers clearly told a way to winterize without using anit-freeze in the freshwater tank or pumping the water lines full of it.

The "oversight" is when owners fail to read their owners manual.....

Check your owners manual out.