Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
What capacity compressor is needed IE how many scfm? I'm looking for a compressor to do this type of work.
A 5 HP compressor with a 60 to 80 gallon tank works well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
Was wondering if anyone leaves a small amount of PS in the toilet bowl as to not dry out the rubber flapper in the bottom of the bowl?
I use a liquid made specifically for the purpose of keeping the flapper pliable. I think it's by Thetford.

Does a good job! Water or antifreeze will evpaorate, or at least, it does in our climate. Leave this fluid in in the fall, it's still there in the spring sitting on a nice pliable scraper valve.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
In my opinion the process used by TKOWALYK is the easiest. We live in a moderate climate region, but have never had a problem. I use the left over antifreeze to pour a bit into each drain and the toilet.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Don't freeze your valves!

I came in on this in the middle and so this may have already been answered...but you don't want to run much over 40psi when you blow the lines out. I try to use what the water pump or city water generates.

I have a Sealand toilet, and discovered the hard way that just blowing the lines out doesn't get all the water out of the water inlet valve. That valve is about $40 and you won't find them at every RV shop. Thetford is more popular.... But the moral of the story is that I blow the lines out first with air, and then run RV antifreeze through the whole system. Unhook the input hose off the water pump and stick it in a jug of RV antifreeze.

I haven't made a water tank bypass so I have to be sure to run enough through the cold side to get red coming out of all the faucets and the toilet.

The red RV antifreeze I run into the toilet I basically put about a half gallon into the bowl and that will last the winter.

Anyway, best of luck and I hope you do better than I did my first winter....I wish you no frozen toilet valves
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I came in on this in the middle and so this may have already been answered...but you don't want to run much over 40psi when you blow the lines out. I try to use what the water pump or city water generates.

That sounds like it makes sense. However, my trailer manual says, "Apply at least 60 Lbs of air pressure" Therefore that is what I do.

I saw in another post where you said you are a engineer. Well, my degree is in Amospheric Sciences (Meteorology) and we are talking about AIR here.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
I, too, have entered this discussion late and am wondering where to attach a blowout plug. Unfortunately, my plumbing has at least 2 low points and I am worried about being able to effectively drain the pipes. Also, I really don't want to put anti-freeze in the lines. Thanks. Bill
CeloNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeloNC View Post
I, too, have entered this discussion late and am wondering where to attach a blowout plug. Unfortunately, my plumbing has at least 2 low points and I am worried about being able to effectively drain the pipes. Also, I really don't want to put anti-freeze in the lines. Thanks. Bill
The blowout plug attaches where your city water hose would normally attach. Two low point drains are normal one for hot and one for cold.

Ken
Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #48
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You also must have a drain for your fresh water tank, and I can tell you on my '74 Sov, there are two more low-point drains in the "trunk", on the far left side. The red handles are a dead giveaway.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I winterized yesterday. I use the antifreeze and the water pump, I remembered to also flush the outside (shower ?) valve. From start to finish, excluding the time it takes the water heater to drain, it took about 15 mins. I also left the two ( gray and black) valves open and put the drain cover back on to keep the mice out.
I can now enjoy the winter knowing that next March, I will be able to get ready for summer again.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #50
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Did mine yesterday. I use the blowout method and have had good results. This is the first winter with this trailer. My older one did not have the low point drains but his one does. I put the RV antifreeze in the bowl and all the traps but I don't flood the system with it. I pull out the filter in the kitchen faucet and the house filter element that was installed by the PO. I will replace the filters when I re-assemble them. I did remove the plastic plug in the water heater and replaced it with a brass drain that I can open next time. My compartment did not have enough room to install the boiler drain I tried but I got one from camping world that's small enough to fit. So, all set for Ole Man winter. Bring it on.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My dad always blew the lines and never had any problems. The one year we tried it in an SOB trailer, we ended up replacing cracked fittings and the water pump the next spring. Now it's the pink stuff for us. We've also had problems with evaporation of antifreeze out of the toilet bowl over the winter, so now I wrap the bowl top with plastic cling wrap to keep evaporation to the minimum. Works well. I always use bleach followed by baking soda and a good rinse every spring for the fresh water system. No aftertaste.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Roger, you'll love that new brass plug for the water heater. It makes it so much simpler.

When I bought one at CW I had to guess which size to buy and lucked out. Best to bring the old plastic one with you.

My understanding is that a gallon of water always remains in the bottom of the water heater. If it freezes, it isn't a problem because there's plenty of expansion space, but silt does collect there. I've tried blowing it out and flushing with a hose, but maybe this year I'll try to siphon it after flushing with a hose.

Kay, I've never had an antifreeze aftertaste. Three flushes after treating with Clorox solves the problem.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #53
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I went through the plug size dilemma when I got the boiler valve to try. I of course tried the 3/4" first so I already had found out it was a 1/2" for the drain valve. I keep my trailer at my son's house so I'm in it frequently to check things out and renew the anti-freeze in the bowl as needed. We MAY take off for Fla sometime in February so I keep it plugged in so the batteries stay charged and ready to go whenever we are. Just have to move the snow out of the way.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I went through the plug size dilemma when I got the boiler valve to try. I of course tried the 3/4" first so I already had found out it was a 1/2" for the drain valve. I keep my trailer at my son's house so I'm in it frequently to check things out and renew the anti-freeze in the bowl as needed. We MAY take off for Fla sometime in February so I keep it plugged in so the batteries stay charged and ready to go whenever we are. Just have to move the snow out of the way.
I bought 2 of these **** things:

Camco 11703 1/2" RV Water Heater Drain Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive

I could not get the first one to stop leaking out the valve. This was with no pressure on the system. I figured I screwed it up some how, so I bought another. Same problem. Is there something else I might try? I've decided that I will just get an extra plastic plug for when I screw up the original one.

Ken
Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #55
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ken,

It looks just like the one we have, but I guess they all look that way. Try plumbers' putty on the threads. Works better than teflon tape for leaks. Then tighten a lot, but stop before you destroy the threads and the trailer turns upside down.

Gene
Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #56
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Ken,

It looks just like the one we have, but I guess they all look that way. Try plumbers' putty on the threads. Works better than teflon tape for leaks. Then tighten a lot, but stop before you destroy the threads and the trailer turns upside down.

Gene
Ours....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Quote:
Ken,

Gene
Mine sealed in the tank. The valve can't be turned hard enough to shut off the flow.
Ken
Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ours....

Bob
Bob,
Do you remember where you got yours?
Ken
Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #59
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Ken,

It looks just like the one we have, but I guess they all look that way.
Now that I have looked more closely and seen Bob's, ours is not the same as Ken's. We have the Bob model. No problems with it.

Gene
Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Looks like a radiator drain plug...try O'Reilly's or NAPA
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote