Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bowling Green , Ohio
Winterize and protect new AS & trip in the winter

First frost predicted already here in Ohio!We got our 2009 AS in May of this year. I have the article by Janet H on winterizing. Ours will be sitting outside as winter approaches. Can I assume this new AS has clear coat and outside is protected? Any other suggestions?
Also we plan to pull it out of the snow to head for Texas in February. Any cautions from you experts on that? We figure we can plow the pad ahead of it and pull it out so long as we are not buried in snow. I assume we will have to winterize it before we return home from Texas after a couple of weeks. Are we crazy?
Thanks
Karterlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
See the first 2 threads here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/ -- especially the step-by-step by john hd.

I thought my water pump access was tight when I put the Camco valve into my Safari. But I've got a buddy with a 23' International and access is nearly ridiculously tight. You've got to reposition the water pump 1.5" or so to fit the valve. We've got to look at it again but I'm wondering if he's going to have to go with a dealer blowout job.

Remember to put antifreeze in the traps.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you are going to travel over salt laden roads, make sure you wash your trailer and frame once you get out of the cold and salt. I had a friend who pulled back from Texas to Missouri one spring and had to drive on roads which salt had been spread. His frame broke out with small rust marks all over. All areas where the paint had been dinged by rocks or was thin. It was pretty surprising. It looked like the trailer frame had a case of the measles.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had to get a tow to lift our Interstate out of its' frozen rut last January, so be prepared.

We only de-winterize once we are clearly out of freezing weather. Watch the forecasts and remember that the border states do not plow and salt like we Midwesterners do.