Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Salisbury , Maryland
Winter storage, taking the weight off the axles

hello to everyone,
All too soon colder weather will be here and it will be time to winterize my 2007 Ocean Breeze. This was a good year because this spring I was able to erect a "house for the baby" in the back yard. The building came from Shelter Logic and this winter my stream will be inside out of the weather, in fact it already was inside when Hurricane Irene came through. It felt so nice to go out and visit my airstream during the storm and it was all high and dry.

My question for everyone is when storing for the winter do any of you jack up the trailer and install jack stands so that the weight of the trailer is off the axles for the winter. I read that you should do this somewhere and was wondering if any one out there does it. Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Long House at Laws Hall 2 001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	139720  

Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
shelter looks nice,

Tell us more about it, what model # size cost etc.

Does it look sturdy, what do you think expected life of it is?

Steve

Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Maryland
The cost was about $2400.00. It is 14' wide, 28' long and 12' high. the fabric is 10 year warranty pro rated. The frame is paint steel tubing maybe 2 1/2". My wife and I put it up, my brother helped pull the cover over the top. It has two roll up doors, front and back which makes it nice because I roll the back one up before leaving for work and it looks closed from the road but the heat of the summer sun pours out the back rolled up door. I have a small shelter for my car and in the winter it will get kinda warm in the day time from the sun which is nice for the vehicle. I had a concrete slab poured to bolt it to but they can be installed on the ground and anchored with ground anchors. I also bought a little accessory light set that hangs from the ceiling tubing.The 4 lights are in cages and I use the new bulbs and it is nice because I can now wax it or do little things at night. Glad you like it. Shelter logic makes all sizes.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjumbo View Post
hello to everyone,
All too soon colder weather will be here and it will be time to winterize my 2007 Ocean Breeze. This was a good year because this spring I was able to erect a "house for the baby" in the back yard. The building came from Shelter Logic and this winter my stream will be inside out of the weather, in fact it already was inside when Hurricane Irene came through. It felt so nice to go out and visit my airstream during the storm and it was all high and dry.

My question for everyone is when storing for the winter do any of you jack up the trailer and install jack stands so that the weight of the trailer is off the axles for the winter. I read that you should do this somewhere and was wondering if any one out there does it. Thanks for all the help.
I put my trailer on jack stands when it is stored for more than a month.
Gets weight off of axles and tires. I use a six ton bottle jack to lift it.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Yep....sure do.

Been doing this for 24yrs.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 007.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	139722   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 002.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	139723  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Shelter Logic Garage

Quote:
hello to everyone,

Hello. Oct of 2010 I put up the 30X30X15 heavy duty shelter logic garage and had my 88 25'excella and lance truck camper stored inside. The snow storm we had between Christmas and New Years of 2010 produced so much snow that the structure buckled and the pipes poked a large hole in the airstream and bent the jack legs on the TC. Insurance covered the repair of camper and trailer which amounted to almost $10,000. Make sure you keep the snow cleared from the roof. Happy Camping nm1oqrz
Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
There may be other opinions on this but proper jacking is important. Parked on concrete, I use a bottle jack at the designated jack point to lift the wheels clear then insert a jack stand between the axles on the axle subframe. Then repeat for other side, put the jack away, level the trailer with the tongue jack and set the stabilizers. This has worked for me, and I hope this is the proper way to not cause damage.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Maryland
Snow load on these buildings is something that should be given consideration. I choose the round top in hopes that the snow would not accumulate as easily but also understand the need to get it off. As the chief building inspector for the county I live in I have seen the damage snow load can do. Two years ago we had unusually heavy wet snow that collapsed 40 traditionally framed older structures in the county, from chicken houses to garages to commercial flat roof failure. I have had a shelter logic "garage in a box" 8' x12' for about 10 years. It is the "A" style which will accumulate snow and I have always dragged myself out of the warm house to get the snow off at all hours of the day and night. It is the price I pay having an inexpensive shelter. Luckily here on the eastern shore of Maryland our winters are milder as a rule and many times snow on the western shore is rain when it crosses over the Chesapeake Bay and arrives at our county, thank goodness. So I will be diligent and appreciate the heads up and am also sorry to hear about the collapse of your building and the damage to your airstream. I would cry I think. Was your 30 x30 building an "A" style or round top? Thanks again. Heavyjumbo.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I place 6 ton jack stands under the axle mounting plate and lower the stabilizers with just moderate forse to help with wind stability. Worked well last winter with one storm with 50 - 60mph gusts.

I know 6 ton is a little overkill, but they have a much wider footprint (fro stability) than smaller capacity stands.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Thanks for the info and photos

We are picking up our new-to-us AS in 10 days (and counting! ) and we have been reading the forums quite a bit to absorb as much information as possible. At least we know that we're on a sharp learning curve here as opposed to those who are "DKDK" (don't know that they don't know).

Planning to take our "new baby" out a few times before the chill sets in but will be storing her on the parking pad next to the garage. The dealer told us that a traditional trailer cover is a big no-no for Airstreams so we were searching around for other options. Will investigate Shelter Logic. Thanks "Heavy."

Bob - not sure where you live or the severity of your winters. Looks like you removed the tires and covered the axles in plastic? Sure that extends the life of the tires but is that enough protection for the axles in harsh winter weather? Total newbies here so just trying to plan ahead for the long cold New Jersey winter.

Thanks again for all the wonderful posts.

Happy traveling,
Claude & Marianne

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
[QUOTE=Tin Trekkers;

Bob - not sure where you live or the severity of your winters. Looks like you removed the tires and covered the axles in plastic? Sure that extends the life of the tires but is that enough protection for the axles in harsh winter weather? Total newbies here so just trying to plan ahead for the long cold New Jersey winter.

Thanks again for all the wonderful posts.

Happy traveling,
Claude & Marianne[/QUOTE]

TT,

"Buffalo"

Now in regards to the second part of your question, the plastic...not really meant to protect the axles as they are pretty well sealed. The biggest reason for the plastic is to protect the brake wiring and Centramatic balancers from the snow that tends to build up around the drums.

I started removing tires years ago with our 63 Safari, more to protect them, than any concern for the axle.

BUT.....
Because AS saw fit to install two 3500lb axles on a trailer with a GVWR of 7300lbs, taking the weight off them during non-use does more to prolong their longevity than anything else I could do.(short of replacing). Even with properly rated axles taking the weight off during storage keeps the rubber torsion springs from developing a "set".

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Buffalo? You win!

Bob - when it comes to severe winters, Buffalo sure wins the prize over New Jersey. My folks are originally from Rochester and my cousins always get a good laugh when I tell them schools are closed down here for 4 inches of snow.

If your method works up on the "Niagra Frontier" it should be fine for us. Photos are so helpful. Thanks again.

Claude & Marianne

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Snow Load

Quote:
Snow load on these buildings is something that should be given consideration. I choose the round top in hopes that the snow would not accumulate as easily but also understand the need to get it off. As the chief building inspector for the county I live in I have seen the damage snow load can do. Two years ago we had unusually heavy wet snow that collapsed 40 traditionally framed older structures in the county, from chicken houses to garages to commercial flat roof failure. I have had a shelter logic "garage in a box" 8' x12' for about 10 years. It is the "A" style which will accumulate snow and I have always dragged myself out of the warm house to get the snow off at all hours of the day and night. It is the price I pay having an inexpensive shelter. Luckily here on the eastern shore of Maryland our winters are milder as a rule and many times snow on the western shore is rain when it crosses over the Chesapeake Bay and arrives at our county, thank goodness. So I will be diligent and appreciate the heads up and am also sorry to hear about the collapse of your building and the damage to your airstream. I would cry I think. Was your 30 x30 building an "A" style or round top? Thanks again. Heavyjumbo.
Hello. Mine was the round top. The 2 3/8 HD dia tubes buckled at the bolt holes fastening longitudinal bars to the arched ones. Almost every arched tube buckled. Good luck. Happy Camping nm1oqrz
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
This is how I get the trailer up on the stands shown in post #5.

View is from the front looking back.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07760.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	140232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07759.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	140233  

Name:	DSC07755.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	140234  

RLC

RLC