Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stamford , Connecticut
winter storage and the air conditioning unit

Good morning and thank you for reading my post. I have an opportunity to store a 27ft Serenity in New Hampshire for the winter. However, the height of the storage unit is a few inches shy of covering the air conditioner on top of the Airstream. So, my question is the following....can the air conditioning unit on top of the Airstream be removed for the winter? If so, Is it safe and easy to do? I would be grateful for any wisdom and experience you can share.

Many thanks --
️️AK from CT
AKJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Can it be removed? Yes. It is not easy, though.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
yes removal is easy, 3 bolts, a drain line, and braking the seal, but I would not suggest it. Reinstall requires reattaching the drain line, not the easiest task, and sealing the unit to the roof, again not worth the risk.

If you have to use that location is it possible to remove the wheels and set the trailer on a dollies. If you are working on concrete that would be easy.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've removed my AC unit for repair. It's not a lot of trouble, but it is awkward and a little dangerous because of working in an elevated location.

If you want to try it:
1. Figure out how you are going to safely get onto and off of the roof. Remember you will be carrying the AC unit down, hopefully without damaging it. I suggest building a scaffold so that two people can work at this task. Only walk on the ribs where you can see rivets or you might damage the roof.
2. From inside remove the filters. Then the interior trim. This will give you access to disconnect:
2a. 120v AC wiring (unplug the trailer first)
2b. 12v DC wiring. (disconnect the battery first)
2c. Thermostat wiring
2d. Condensate tube
3. From the inside, remove the bolts and frame that clamp the AC unit to the roof.
4. From the roof:
4a. Remove the screws that hold the AC shroud, remove the shroud and temporarily store it where it will not get damaged.
4b. Lift the ac unit and remove. (carful not to damage trailer or AC)
4c. Place a temporary cover on the opening and secure it, so it will not blow off, critters can't lift, and water tight.
5. Replace the shroud and protect the bottom of the AC during storage so critters can't get in.

When you re-install you will probably need a new foam gasket to get a proper seal.

add edit:
If someone has used a lot of caulk trying to seal a leak, it might not be so easy to lift the AC. There was a TON on mine. It took a lot of cutting and scraping.
I would not remove the AC for storage. Both of my trailer set outside full time.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Perhaps you could air the tires down quite a bit and then back it in. Once under there you may have enough room to air the tires back up. If not, the dolly idea was certainly a good one as well.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
How about just removing the cover of the air conditioner. Ours blew off en route to Riggins, ID last year. The guts of the AC seemed smaller than the unit with the cover attached and it is easily removed with a few screws...
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
another thought:
You could get two steel rims (wheels) without tires at a junkyard, with a bolt pattern the same as your trailer.
With the trailer just in front of the storage place, remove the wheels/tires and install the two rims on the rear axle. This should lower the trailer 6" to 8" and allow you to roll the trailer inside.
If it is a dirt/gravel surface, lay down some 2x wood as wide as the rims, like railroad tracks, to keep them from digging in. Once it's in place jack up the trailer and use cribbing positioned under the frame to take the load off of the axle.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stamford , Connecticut
Many thanks for all of the helpful information and expertise. It never ceases to amaze me about how much everyone knows about the care and maintenance of Airstreams. Based upon all that you've shared, I don't think I will be messing around with removing the air conditioning unit for winter storage - will have to find another storage solution. All good wishes to everyone. AK
AKJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote