Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Winter Storage

We have just purchsed a 1995 Sovereign and live in Western WA. We get about 60 inches of rain a year. I am considering a structure to keep our AS out of the rain. This cost is about $1500. Do any of you feel this is necessary. Any ideas on how to keep the interior free of dampness.

Phil
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Winter Storage

Quote:
Originally posted by Scaler113
We have just purchsed a 1995 Sovereign and live in Western WA. We get about 60 inches of rain a year. I am considering a structure to keep our AS out of the rain. This cost is about $1500. Do any of you feel this is necessary. Any ideas on how to keep the interior free of dampness.

Phil
Buy a few "Damp-Rid" pails from pretty much any hardware store. I have several that I distribute around the trailer during the winter. You will periodically have to empty the liquid out of them. be careful emptying, as it is a chemical cocktail that is hard to get out of carpets.

They sell bulk refills for the Damp-Rid pails.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Having worked in your area engineering maintenance systems to keep your communications systems working, I would definately build a shelter, especially if it only cost $1,500. You have a very long wet season! If anything were to go wrong with one of your vents or skylights, it would not take long to fill the Airstream.

I, like you, have a 1995 trailer. My plastic vent covers are starting to show signs of UV deterioration. I am fixing them as time allows. I am East of the Cascades in Oregon where it hardly rains. The first two years of my trailer's life was spent in Southern Arizona and the rest in The Dalles. Depending on the history of your trailer, you may not have the UV damage that I have experienced. But considering your location, I would take every precaution. It is much easier to fix a potential or actual leak under a shelter than out in that rain.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:21 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It's also much easier to perform preventative maintenance than required repairs. Repair that UV damaged vent cover before it fails and you have other items that need repair because of it.

FF
(who travels the northern OR coast as often as possible)

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Remove Dampness

I've installed a portable AC/Dehumidifier (roll around type) in the 345. I cut an air exhaust vent hole in the floor under the couch, and use a dryer vent outlet flapper valve in the ducting system. Stainless screen mesh at the outlet prevents inscets and critters from coming into the coach. I also tied the water drain into the existing AC water drain.

Window air exhaust is feasible, but not as easily rigged up/rigged down when you want to use the unit, also adds one more rain leak possibility.

In the winter, you can simply exhaust the hot air into the cabin, adding heat and helping with the freezing problem.

Of course, I'm assuming you have 110 available, and, like you said, a cover sure helps.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote