Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Winter Storage

We just can't bring ourselves to spend the $ it would take to build a new shop/garage.

So I'm looking for a soft sided structure to protect our 31 foot 1984 MH.

I'm hoping that those of you with knowledge and experience (both good and bad) will share it.

Anyone have recommendations? Products we should avoid?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
guy

this might be a good place to start.

http://www.kingcanopy.com/

they should have one big enough to fit your rig.

john
Old 10-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
John,
Thanks for the pointer. I think I'm looking for a full enclosure type of thing. Something more like this: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=28068

But I find it hard to believe that Camping World is going to have the highest quality/ best value. So I'm hoping someone will share relevant experience.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Hi everyone. I started this thread over the weekend. I'm hoping that someone who didn't see it will see it now and have some information to share. TIA
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
King Canopy has 'side walls' & 'end walls' in their Accessories section.

http://www.kingcanopy.com/garagecanopies.htm

or

http://www.kingcanopy.com/rv.html

Looks like the same as the style you are looking at at Camping World and the pricing seems reasonable. A phone call could confirm whether they can make one large enough for your trailer, but for most...one of these would work.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Camper/Motorhome enclosure

I one time had the opportunity to look into the camper enclosure a neighbor of mine has used for the last several years. (He was having a tag sale) When I peaked inside, I was hit with a very strong musty smell. The inside of the canopy was very damp and I could see some black mold on the inside walls of the canopy. I really don't think you want to expose you unit that kind of environment.

I would be very carful where and what I placed a canopy on. I would also look at the method the manufacturer uses to remove the moisture inside.

Just my thoughts.

Mark
Old 10-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hi everyone, I too, have some questions along the same line. I hope to store my AS on a friend's river property over the winter (with frequent visitations) and I'm concerned about the dampness issue. It rains like heck up there but does not freeze and is sheltered from the wind by redwoods. Could an all encompassing cover be appropriate or should I go the canopy route; and if so, what's the best thing to remove dampness from the interior (it doesn't smell musty now, and I'd hate to start anything) Also, would it help to park it on a tarp or something? thank-you
ironfem200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The best way to keep these old things from getting that musty and closed up smell is to use them year round. You would be suprised how comfortable an Airstream is for winter camping. We have used both our trailer and now our MH straight through the winters here in Wisconsin. The best camping sites are always available, night time is very quiet and snow is easily brushed off of the exterior leaving no scratches. Give it a try, don't cover it up use it.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
No Cover???

I too struggle with wanting to park my Airstream in a storage shed for the winter - and I would probably do so if I could find a suitable building. However, at the same time, aside from watching the snow and leaves build up, and feeling like I'm neglecting it, just how much damage does winter exposure do to the later model Airstreams with the new plastic coating? A good wash job in the Spring, and a day or two with Walbernize, makes everything look new again. Granted, I know the sun can do a lot of damage in the summer but, here in Maine, the Sun's rays are really low in the winter and not much to worry about. I do keep the curtains and blinds shut.

So----is it just the guilty feeling that we're being "neglectful" or does leaving our Airstreams uncovered do any real damage??? I do try to get the leaves off before I park it for the winter - as leaves will cause milldew and discolaration on the painted white roof. This is easily accomplished by a short trip at 70 mph on the interstate!.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

A Southern Solution

I have posted this before as an idea for non-snow areas. I doubt it would take a snow load.

For moisture in the very high humidity by the coast, I use a dehumidifier on a timer in the coach.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirstreamSide_upload.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	15109  
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Chaplain,
I doubt that we get more snow than you do although we have had 18-24 inches in a single snow fall. But living in the mountains mean that there can be long periods when the roads are not suitable for travel in a motorhome. So, I'll be much happier if I can keep the Silver Slug out of the snow banks. Also, the sun is very intense even at 2500 feet in the summer. I have been in the motorhome when it has been sitting for a while in the sun without the curtains closed. The thermometer I have on the dash read 130 degrees. So I think covered storage would be useful in the summer.

As far as mold inside the enclosure, humidity here is very low and I doubt that will be a problem.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
To prevent moisture within a tent or closed in structure you should either park on a concreat slab or put a full pastic liner on the ground and drive over it, I stored a 50's mercury in a garage one winter to protect it from snow and rain, big mistake , next spring when I picked it up, the inside and outside of the car was covered in condensation and rust, the moisture came up the the gravel floor.

good luck

drive safe
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote